Sunday, November 18, 2007

An Update From Iowa City

As I was listening to 96.1 FM last week broadcast live from this very hospital, supporting the Children's Miracle Network, I thought to myself that Iowa City must be a very special place. I listened to parents testimonials during the songs and heard many of them say how appreciative they were of the doctors and nurses and how they never imagined they would be using these services. It never dawned on me that we would be one of those parents sitting in the Children's Hospital just a few days later. Isn't it strange how things evolve and happen?

Alayna is doing a bit better this afternoon compared to yesterday and this morning. She is opening her eyes much more than yesterday and is getting just a bit easier to calm down. She is still fussy, but she hasn't had anything to eat for nearly 48 hours. The sugar-water, called "Tootsweet", dipped on her pacifier is just not cutting it all of the time. Pedialyte is okay to do, but only in small amounts. Right now I agree with the nurse that it would be like teasing her to give her some. She would want more and would probably be more aggravated. We have decided to hold off on it for now. She has an IV with potassium, so she is getting fluids. Hopefully after the swallow study tomorrow she will get to drink a bottle.

Her heart rate is really good and she still has oxygen in her nose and that number is holding great too. I imagine that they will try to wean her down in the next day or two and it will be interesting to see how that number reads. Her resting heart rate (RR) is a tad high for what it should be. She is still breathing pretty heavily and deeply. You can see her chest cavity go up and down. So, breathing is still tough for her, but that is the RSV.

Her nurse tracked down a portable swing and Alayna was in heaven. She loves the swing and took a long nap in it. That was really nice. Dana and Alexis are here now and I'm taking a break. A little nap is on the agenda soon.

Again, just to explain what the pulmonary doctors said this morning. She doesn't have pneumonia like Trinity thought. The x-ray can be read/interpreted a bit differently and they believe that it looks like one of two things. First, it could be the RSV in her lungs that is effecting the tissues and making them enlarged. Secondly, it could be that she aspirated something into her lungs. It is hard to determine what exactly happened and I'm not sure they will be able to say it with 100%. That is why they want to do the swallow study tomorrow just to cover the bases and make sure she isn't aspirating anything. I will feel better about this too. The doctors and leaning more toward the RSV instead of the aspiration. I don't want this to happen again. They can test her for anything they see fit!

So, all in all, this has been another adventurous path on this journey with Alayna. It adds another chapter to the book I'm going to write someday! She can say that she has ridden in an ambulance and a helicopter....all in the same weekend....I'll bet most of us couldn't say that!? :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know I'm here for you whenever you need anything. I am so thankful that Dana was there and that you both stayed so calm through this entire thing. It's so hard to see Alayna not feeling so well, but we're optimistic that she'll be back to her smiley self very soon. I wish I was in Iowa City with you, Angie - I feel so helpless here at home. My thoughts and prayers are with you all. I pray that Alayna will get better with each passing minute. Hugs and kisses your way....talk to you soon.

Anonymous said...

Hi Angie...

What a surprise and shock to log on to Alayna's web site and read all that has happened the past few days - I was not expecting that at all. I log on every few days, sometimes just to see her adorable face and darling outfits!

Angie, my heart and prayers go out to you, Dana, and little Alayna. I don't know how you both do it, but it is absolutely amazing.

Thank you for being so diligent in your postings...I look forward to hearing about her recovery and getting her home soon!

Annie Jerzyk

Anonymous said...

Hi Angie,
My daughter Melissa called me last night and told me about Alayna. She had read your blog yesterday--(I hadn't checked for about a week). What a traumatic experience you all went through! We are so grateful for Dana's knowledge and calmness. Our hearts and prayers are with you.
There is definitely a book in here Angie. You and Dana are amazing.
May God encircle you with His love and peace.
Sending our love and prayers,
Barb and family

Anonymous said...

Hi Angie & Dana
Just wanted to let you know we are he for you if you need anything. Thank you for keeping us posted. Our hearts and prayers go out to you and your family.

Toni Stoneking

Anonymous said...

Hi Angie, Dana and family, Grandma Diana let me know Saturday morning - my thoughts and prayers have been with you since. Letting you know I am thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, prayers and well wishes for Alayna and all of us. It truly means so much. Barb, I'll be asking you for your expertise about that book someday! And Vicki, I've been thinking of you and your son too. I pray for you guys. I'll keep you updated as we go.