Wednesday, November 28, 2007

If It's Not One Thing It's Another

Sigh. We had a rough night last night. I think I changed more than my fair share of dirty diapers about every hour. It's terrible! I don't mean to gross anyone out, but the smell is indescribable. It kind of reminds me of Douglas with the rotovirus. The nurse took a sample this morning and is sending it to be tested for roto. I hope it isn't. Where would she pick that up? It had to be in here if it comes back positive. But everyone is so careful with gloves and antibacterial stuff. I don't know. I am hoping that it is just the result of not having anything in her tummy combined with all of the antibiotics, phenobarb, and myralex (stool softener..which we of course declined this morning). She just seems to have an increased amount of stomach acid and bile since yesterday. I was joking with the nurse and said if they didn't start normal feedings the doctors would have to take turns coming in and changing her diapers!

On a positive note, Alayna's lungs sound great. Respiratory therapy kind of backed off a bit last night for us so we could TRY and catch a few zzzzz's. Her stats remain up and that problem seems to be solved. We just have a new problem now. Say a little prayer and I'll let you know the results as soon as I have them. I'm going to go get in the cold shower....not looking too forward to it.

P.S. I'm hearing the helicopter here way too much lately. I say my prayers for those people too.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Angie,
We will continue our prayers for sweet little Alayna! I am so happy to hear about some of the progress she has made. It seems the power of prayer really does work! We love you guys and can't wait to see you soon. Wish we could get up there to visit!
Love,
Lora

Anonymous said...

Angie,
Thats wonderful news to hear of Alaynas progress. She is a tough cookie. Wish I could hug the both of you right now. Pretend I did. Thank you for keeping us all up to date with Alaynas progress. Your in my prayers...
Love, Shanna

Anonymous said...

Angie,

So sorry to hear Alayna's tummy is on the fritz! Just a couple thoughts - are they just checking for rotovirus or are they also checking for c-dif? Also, when Nate had RSV he had some really nasty diapers for a while afterwards.

I hope her tests come back negative and you can get back on track to get home.

Michelle

Angie said...

Thanks for the comments guys! Michelle what is c-diff? As far as I know it is only for roto. But the treatment wouldn't change, so just a confirmation thing I guess. They have her on pedialyte now through the tube. Stools are getting less frequent (yeah), but still stinky. Very weird smelling.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear that Alayna's doing well with keeping her oxygen levels up. However, I'm sad to hear that she's having issues with her tummy. Let's think positive that it could just be the way the virus is "leaving"...I hope to hear good news tomorrow that it's not the rotovirus.
I gave Drake a big hug tonight at gymnastics. He is really missing his mommy, so I told him that I was the next best thing! Lexi said that she helped pick up the house. I know that they're anticipating your return home and miss you and Alayna very much. Keep thinking positive - I have a feeling that you'll be home very soon! Hugs and kisses....