Tuesday, November 27, 2007

I'm Feeling Better...Mom Can Tell

My new habit of grabbing the hair on both sides of my head.
My mom is trying to break this habit. She doesn't want me pulling my hair out.

I was really thinking hard about grinning.

Relaxing on my side.

I weighed in at 18 pounds 7.2 ounces. So, I haven't lost any weight!

Alayna is doing great today. They have turned her cannula down to 1.5 L of oxygen which is significantly less than when this journey began. Her stats look great and she keeps trying to knock the cannula out of her nose. As you can see from the pictures, she's picked up a new habit. When she gets tired she puts her hands up by her head and grabs the hair on each side of her head. I'm trying to put a blanket between her hands and head to prevent her from pulling her hair out. It seems like it's another comfort technique for her. Alexis had a hair twisting habit around age 1-2 years old and it was torture trying to break it. I would prefer not to go down that path again. Alayna is getting back to her old self because her legs are starting to slam the bed when she is trying to fall asleep.

The nurse weighed her last night and she is about 18 1/2 pounds. She is still pretty small compared to what her brothers and sister were at this age. They were about her size at 8 months old and Alayna will be 10 months in 2 days. She is gaining, but not very fast. It is known that weight gain tapers off a bit for any child as they get older, but especially seen in 1p36 kids. So, we'll continue to monitor her. I can't wait to feed her a bottle again. She hasn't had a bottle since Friday, November 16th. That's 11 days ago. I can't imagine not having food in my mouth for 11 days, can you?

I'm still waiting for the pulmonary doctors to make rounds. But I'll remind you that she is off the antibiotic now (7 days), she has no IV, she has no NP tube, and she is only taking in 1.5 L of oxygen. Things are definitely improving. And I'm still not convinced that the seizures weren't related to the virus. My gut says that they were brought on by that. She hasn't had any since that first incident. I'm anticipating the ride home already. I can't wait to be able to call Dana and tell him to come and get us!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grandma Billie says. . . .

Angie, I couldn't wait to hear from you this morning. What great news! I think our little Alayna looks so much better. I, also, can't wait to hold and hug her.

Dana and the other three were up for supper last night and they seem to be doing well. Lexi has helped me immensely with decorating for Christmas. Mickey Mouse and I waved to Douglas on the bus as he left for school this morning. Drake hits the T.V. remote right away and is totally into Tranformers and Sponge Bob.

We can't wait for you and your family to be back home and together. I know it has been very stressful for you, but you are an outstanding Mother and Alayna and the others thrive because of your and Dana's strong love and faith in the Lord.

Love, Grandma Billie

Anonymous said...

I couldn't ask for better news! I'm so glad that she's getting back to her old self...she looks really good. I know she'll be so happy once all of the tubes can come out! I keep saying my prayers that you'll be home very soon.

Anonymous said...

What great news! I am keeping my fingers crossed and saying my prayers that things will keep improving so you can come home soon!

Anonymous said...

Yeah! What music to my ears. I'm so glad to read today's post. Keep your spirits up. The positive energy will help Alayna get back home soon.

Chrystal Weller

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear that things are looking up. We hope that Miss Alayna continues to improve and you will be on your way back home soon.

Michelle & Co.

american4square1914 said...

Hank says, "I'm sorry you are in the hostible and I am glad you are feeling better, because I am Sharkboy. We miss you and hope you come see us soon. Thats all."

Soooooo glad to hear the news today! Tell her to keep up the good work.
The Whites

Anonymous said...

Hello,Alayna. I so hope you get to come home tomorrow,or Thursday! I think you are doing much much better. As soon as you get home I probley won't be able to leave you alone! Just remmber Christmas is in
28 days so then you'll get a bunch of presents. Always remmber I love you very very much.
Love,
Lexi

Anonymous said...

What wonderful news! Alayna is beautiful as ever. Praying for Alayna's continued progress and that you'll be home soon.

Beth W

Anonymous said...

Angie, Soooo glad things are looking up. Bet you are ready to get your sweet little angel home. The girls enjoy looking at the pictures. Ask lots of question. Alison is so into babies right now and is always giving them check ups. Take Care 1
Heather

Anonymous said...

Angie,

I'm so glad to hear the good news. She looks great! Hopefully Alayna will be coming home soon.
We are keeping all of you in our thoughts and prayers. Molly & Denise