Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Information From The 1p36 Conference...Still To Come!

Whitney using a "rear walker." It is a popular thing with these kids to help them build strength, gain balance, and walk on their own! She is soooo close!

Happy 1st Halloween! I'm a ducky and it really kept me warm!!! Trick-or-treat!

Drake as scary "scream", Alexis as "super girl", Douglas as "Mr. Bones" and Alayna the "ducky."
This is little Amaya. She is 4 1/2 years old and is adorable. She is walking on her own and is doing great. I wish you could see how long her pony tail was!!!

This is Sophia. She is 2 1/2 years old and is strong enough to walk and even do the stairs! She has done exceptionally well.
This is sweet little Lexie who is about 5 years old. She is walking too and is doing great!

This is adorable Rebecca from Florida! People thought that Alayna reminded them of her...dark eyes and curly hair! She has had some tough moments in her life, but is doing well! She is 22 months old!She also has a great big sister named Melissa. Oh, and she never goes anywhere without a bow in her hair either!

This is Gavin's family! Isn't he adorable??? I would've taken him home. He is 2 1/2 years old and is very strong. He crawls super fast and pulls up on furniture. I have no doubt he'll be walking in no time.
This is Dr. Shaffer and all of us! She is the one pushing for research on 1p36 kids and has been studying them since 1994! Her research project all began in Houston, TX. She did a very nice presentation.
This is the famous Whitney from Utah! What a little sweetie pie. She is 3 1/2 years old. Her birthday is actually January 20th....9 days before Alayna. So they are nearly 3 years apart to the day. She is so close to walking all on her own. Her laugh is priceless and she loves her little brother Liam.
Us with Whitney! Notice the similarities in their faces?
This is Alayna, me and Callie. Callie is 19 years old and is from Texas. She was so inspirational. Callie graduated from high school, has a part-time job as a teachers aide, walks, speaks with thought and detail and is just absolutely wonderful. She set the bar for all of us!!!

I have so many other photos and lots of information. I'm just really tired and I haven't had much time to post this week. I hope to fill all of you in on what we learned this weekend.

I'll give you a quick update on Alayna. She finally cut both of her top middle teeth in about 2 weeks ago! I forgot to tell you that. She went to her 9 month check-up tonight and weighs 18 lbs exactly. She is a bit below the 50th percentile for weight and between the 10-15th percentile for height. The doctor is pleased with that and so are we. Alayna got 2 vaccinations and a flu shot which she hated. And of course, while we were there, it wouldn't be eventful enough if Alexis and Douglas wouldn't both have right ear infections. UGH! So off to the pharmacy to fill 4 prescriptions. It's been a long, long day.

Alayna gobbles up baby food. She finally has taken a liking to it. Tonight she got her first dose of meats. She ate about 1/2 a jar of apples with chicken. Doesn't that sound yummy? I'm so pleased with how she is doing. I just want to keep her going so that when we transition to more table food she'll eat it and not go down the path that some kids do....a "g-tube" in their abdomen. She is drinking 4 5-oz bottles a day with added rice. She finishes all of them and is keeping things down. What a bonus!

She is sleeping like the little angel that she is. Alayna is down for the count around 8:30-9:00 pm and I usually have to wake her up between 7-7:15 am just so we can get to work on time. She is starting to bear more weight in her legs which is exciting. It is becoming easier to have her stand on her lap. We are still working on the rolling over thing and she is sitting for longer periods of time in her bumbo. I've noticed too that she is getting a bit better with the hand-eye coordination and really acts like she wants to start grabbing at things. We're working on it!

Well, I'm exhausted. I've got lots more to say about the conference and 1p36 kids. I'll update you this weekend. Take care everyone.










2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that you got to meet so many of the individuals on the yahoo website. What adorable little ones! It is so inspirational and gives us such hope for Alayna! Alayna is priceless in that ducky costume - I had to laugh outloud!! :) I'm also very anxious to hear more about the conference...Whitney's dad had some interesting information on his website, too. Give hugs and kisses....

Anonymous said...

Hello,mom! Ilove the picture of Alayna and Whitney together. Whitney is so cute! I'm glad you found that ducky costume for Alayna. I'm sure she'll always be that cute! I really want to meet little Lexie,Gavin,and Whitney in person and of corse Melisa and Kaylee. I hope I can keep writing on the blog.
BYE!