Thursday, November 29, 2007

A Brief Glimpse of Our Sleeping Quarters!

Doesn't this look comfy? I love my pillow-top mattress at home. I can't wait to get home and hide in bed for a long, long time.
Alayna's bed and my bed. I just wish mine was higher so I could just reach over and not have to get up!
Our little STINKER (I mean it too)!!

Her bed, the computer on the wall to enter "dosages", retrieve lab results and x-rays, etc., and all of the monitors, tubes, and wires.
The view as you come in the door. There are 6 rooms in each "pod."
I've never seen a hospital room have so much storage space. Usually it's just a little locker area. The kids enjoy writing on the big white board.

Today was intended to be the day Alayna would do the swallow study. The doctors recommend doing this just to see how she swallows and rule out any possibility of aspirating something into her lungs. They decided to hold off on it after hearing how much bile she spit up yesterday and how many dirty diapers she was having. Fortunately, Alayna is backing off of the dirty diapers a bit, which is relief for me. I still haven't heard back from the rotavirus test. It can sometimes take about 24 hours, so we should know by tomorrow morning. Her other lab work came back just fine.

I hope tonight goes better than last night. I agree with a friend of mine who said it sometimes is easier to just stay awake. That is so true because it is a lot of up and down. I no longer get relaxed and somewhat asleep and Alayna needs me again. If the hospital had a timed test for which parent pops up out of bed fastest, I'd win! Tylenol (for her and me) will be in the order very soon. I'm anticipating that the doctors will give the go ahead to do the swallow study tomorrow and get Alayna eating again. At least that is what I'm hoping for. I'm ready to go home, but only with a healthy Miss Alayna. And then when we get home, I'm sure the tiredness will hit both of us like a brick wall.
Right now it is 10:15 pm and she is still fighting her sleep. I can't wait to get back into our normal routine. Gosh, you just don't realize how much a bottle or a full tummy helps put little one's to sleep. I'm rubbing my eyes and so is she!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like home to me!

Along with the Tylenol I am going to prescribe a large dose of caffeine! Seriously, though, I hope that tonight brings some rest for both of you and the dirty diapers will be few and far between.

Good luck with the swallow study tomorrow. We will be anxiously awaiting more good news!

Michelle

Anonymous said...

I'll bet it does. I don't know how you did it either. I guess it is just what us mom's have to do, protect and comfort our little one's. As you can see, I'm still up because little Miss Alayna doesn't want to fall asleep yet. She is fighting it and at the same time ripping some good toots! The Diet Coke will be open before 8am tomorrow! Have a good night.
Angie

Anonymous said...

Dear Angie,
We have been praying for you and sweet Alayna for quite a while. What a beautiful child. Your other 3 will grow because her her special needs. I am so sorry about the struggles in Iowa City. Annette has kept me informed. Thank God she is home! Thank you for your blog.
Patti Lindstrom (Annette's friend)