Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Not Going The Way We Hoped

Since my last post, lots has changed. Unfortunately, Alayna hasn't responded to the oxygen through the nose all day long. Her stats have been low and they are now thinking that she definitely has pneumonia. Dana and I believe it too. Around 5:45 pm they did what is called a CPAC (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) by using a NP tube (nasal pharynx). It is basically a type of ventilation that puts pressure down lower in her airway to her lungs so she doesn't have to work as hard. She now has another tube in her left nostril. They added another tube in her right nostril that goes directly into her stomach to help relieve the pressure or air that would be storing up. It would be like a balloon and we wouldn't want it to pop, so it needs a place to release pressure. She has tubes everywhere and cords everywhere. It's impossible to hold her right now and I'm longing to give her a good squeeze and just cuddle her.

I am saying my prayers hoping she responds well to this. Her oxygen level needs to remain above 88% and above 90% would be ideal. At this moment, she is maintaining between 90-95%. But again, it seems like it is all moment by moment. She had another blood gas test and it came back fine which was relief. If her gases get out of whack and she doesn't respond to the CPAC, the next step is to move to the PICU (pediatric intensive care unit) and be intibated. Please keep praying that she will hold her own to buy some time for the antibiotic to kick in. It usually takes at least 24 hours to see the beginning effects and that won't be until late afternoon tomorrow.

She had another x-ray about 45 minutes ago and I've yet to hear the conclusions of it. I'm imagining it probably looks pretty similar to earlier today. And if it looks worse, I don't want to know. I asked the nurse to give her Tylenol to help relax her and she did. Alayna is listening to some elevator music right now and taking a good nap. The bad thing about the CPAC is she drools a lot out of her mouth due to the increased pressure and I'm constantly standing at her bedside to suck it up with the "sucker machine." My feet are killing me. I wish I had a bar stool that would be high enough for me to reach her and sit at the same time!

There are many questions that I have. And of course, hindsight is always 20/20. I'm just doubting the decision that was made to hold off on the antibiotic until today. I know that Alayna has never run a temperature, but I'm thinking all kids are different. I'm not a doctor, but I would think that using an antibiotic as a "preventative" to cover the bases so to speak would have been the better approach. I'm feeling very frustrated and tired. I feel like we are swimming upstream against a huge current with a twig as a paddle. I'm sure part of my frustration is out of pure tiredness, but this is day 6 and I've yet to see any improvement. It seemed like we took 3 steps forward yesterday and now we took 10 steps back. As a mom, I'm learning to trust my instinct more, but at the same time I have to trust the professionals. It can be a hard thing to balance sometimes.

I'm thankful for my little girl being here with us. Tomorrow is Thanksgiving Day and she will be here in Iowa City. The turkey will wait for her a different day. She can't eat it anyway. She only has 4 little teeth. And she can have some mashed potatoes when she gets to feeling better. Of course, I wish we were home all together, but I've got to look at the bigger picture here. We all do. Last Friday night, she gave us a scare of a lifetime. She is here, she is going to be okay, and I am truly thankful for that. It hasn't been an easy battle, but she is a fighter. May God bless her and may God bless all of you and your families. Hug each other tomorrow and tell them how thankful you are to have them in your life. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Angie. I cannot imagine the emotions you are feeling right now. Stay the strong spirited, dedicated mom that you are! I'm sure Alayna is thankful this Thanksgiving for being part of your beautiful, loving family.

As always, prayers your way!!

Chrystal Weller

Drue said...

Angie and Dana,
I just heard about your blog information today and have been reading through your sorrows and joys. It is hard to hold the tears back. Please know that you are in our prayers. Hang in there. RSV and all the things that go along with it are very frightening. Alayna is truely lucky to have such a loving family. Remember to trust your gut instincts as a mother. Dont be afraid to speak up if you feel something is wrong. You are Alaynas best advocate. Doctors are nurses have lots of medical information but no one knows your child better than you. Trust your instincts. Keeping you in our prayers.
Ed and Drue Griffin

Anonymous said...

Angie & Dana,
We have been reading your blog daily, praying that Alayna gets stronger with each passing moment. Having dealt with RSV, pneumonia, and a hospital stay when Nathan was a baby, we understand how scary this time can be. We remember longing for the day when Nathan would overcome the virus and be healthy again. It does seem like a lifetime when it's your precious little one going through the experience. You have shown so much courage and strength through all of this, and you should be commended for that. If there is anything at all that you or your family needs, we are here and will gladly help in any way that we can. Don't hesitate to ask. Thank you for diligently posting so that we can keep up-to-date with Alayna's situation on a day to day basis.

Our hearts go out to you....
Carol & Tom Parchert

Anonymous said...

I know I just got off the phone with you, but wanted to continue to tell you that I'm ALWAYS thinking about Alayna, you, Dana, Lexi, Drake, and Douglas. I'm praying for that antibiotic to "kick in" and hopefully we'll see an improvement tomorrow morning. I know that you said that last x-ray hasn't changed much - I know you were hoping for more positive changes, but at least it's not getting worse. She's a fighter and knows she has her mommy right beside her for comfort and love. And, she's going to get better - you know that. I'm looking forward to you coming over tomorrow, I just wish Alayna could come too. When she's better, we'll all get together and have a Thanksgiving dinner. Try to get some rest...love you both. Hugs and kisses your way.....