Tuesday, November 20, 2007

An EEG, TP tube, and 2 X-Rays!

It's been another eventful day for Alayna. I have to start off by saying how much she slept yesterday and last night. The phenobarbital pretty much knocked her out from noon yesterday until 5:00 am this morning. That is because she got two "loaded" doses. I actually got to rest a little! So, the day started off at 5:00 am with her waking up and coughing terribly. An albuterol treatment was ordered to see if it would help with this and her breathing. She hadn't had one for almost 24 hours. Her oxygen level dropped into the mid-upper 80's, so the nurse turned her oxygen flow up from 2 L to 4 L. That was a bit of a surprise because she had been holding her own at 2 L for nearly 24 hours. When she drops below 88, alarms go off. It is not acceptable.

She was deep suctioned and quite a bit of "stuff" came out which helped a little. An x-ray was ordered to check out her lungs and they drew blood for a gas test. This all happened so quickly this morning. They are truly on top of things here. Her blood gas test came back fine, which I'm thankful for. If it doesn't look normal that is when kids have to be intibated. Her lungs still showed some white on the x-ray which indicated inflammation or fluid. Her stats eventually started to come up and it helped by placing her on her right side.

By 9:00 am she had her first maintenance dose of phenobarbital and was getting ready for an EEG. I have pictures of all of these things and I'll gladly share them when I get home. I'm sure some of the nurses or doctors thought I was crazy for taking pictures, but they said they didn't mind. The EEG was interesting with all of the electrodes "glued" to her head. She needs a good hair scrubbing to get all of the left over glue out. By noon, the doctors ordered that deep suctioning occur every 4 hours and that the respiratory therapist do back/chest percussions to loosen things up 3 times a day and suction after that too. It really has seemed to have helped. Plus Alayna likes the vibration on her back. It actually feels pretty good and it puts her to sleep.

Around 1:00 pm, the pulmonary doctors lowered her oxygen down to 1 L and she is maintaining it between 90-100 percent. Yes! At 4:15 pm she had a PICU nurse come in and insert a TP tube, which stands for trans pyloric tube. It is a tube inserted through her nostril that goes down through the stomach and past another "valve." So, it really isn't in the stomach it is past it. That way she won't have the risk of aspirating or getting sick which could make this situation worse. We don't want that. Another x-ray was just taken a few minutes ago to make sure it was in the correct place. Let's hope it is so she can start getting some Carnation Goodstart formula for the nutrition and keep things moving in her tract. It probably won't satisfy her much because it's not really going directly into the stomach and that is a bummer since she wants to eat her hand or anything else that comes close to her mouth! She even tried sucking on the deep suctioning tube this morning. The nurses thought that was so cute. They had never had a little one do that before! They all think she is adorable....and of course she is!

That's a quick update. Lots of doctors and nurses in and out all day long. I am so happy with the care she has received. I don't want to jinx myself, but I think she is doing better today. I have to be patient. This isn't something an antibiotic can treat. It takes time and progress is slow, but not totally nonexistent. Again, thank you for all of your prayers and for taking the time to check out Alayna's blog. She continues to teach many of us lots of things. Life is precious....and she's my little angel.

10 comments:

Melanie said...

I am so glad that Alayna is doing better today. As you were describing the seziures it sounds just like what Whitney was like. It's scary to see your daughter like that. Our prayers are with you and I pray that Alayna will get better soon. We love you guys and miss you.

All our love,
Melanie and Nate Hanson

Anonymous said...

I am so thankful that Alayna is holding her oxygen levels up and seems to be doing better. We'll take every little bit we can, right? I know it's slow, and I think that's one of the hardest things about all of this. Besides seeing her sick and not feeling well, we sometimes want instant results, and our patience is often tested. You are so patient, Angie, and so loving and caring with all of your children. Alayna is so lucky to have you as her Mommy and to know that you'll be by her side through everything. I can't wait to see you both - I miss you both dearly. Have a Happy Thanksgiving - we have so many thing to be thankful for. Hugs and kisses your way....love you.

Anonymous said...

Angie,

You and your entire family is in my prayers and thoughts. I didn't realize that all of this had been happening. Iowa City is a wonderful place for children - they know their stuff as you are finding out. Alayna is so lucky to be at such a wonderful hospital and to have such a wonderful mommy.

Mandy Hoag

Anonymous said...

We are so thankful for your updates. We are keeping Grandma Lucy updated too. Please let us know if there is anything you need or if we can help out.
Prayers and Hugs - Molly & Denise

Anonymous said...

Thanks guys! Just as you check this blog often, I do too. Sometimes it's these kind of comments that keep me going. It means so much. I best get back to Alayna. Love all of you. Family and friends mean everything.

Jennifer Petersen said...

Alayna, I hope you continue to feel better and better every day! My thoughts and prayers are with you....keep fighting! The doctors and nurses are great at UIHC and will take good care of you!
Angie and Dana, hang in there and stay strong! There is nothing harder than being a parent at times like these...always know that if you need a friend, you can call anytime...I know the emotional roller coaster that you are on all too well!
P.S. Check into getting a parking pass, if you haven't done so already, it sure helps cut the cost of parking! God Bless!

Anonymous said...

Dana, Angie, Alayna, Lexi, Drake and Douglas

Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Stay strong!! If there is anything we can do to help you or your family out just ask.

Melissa Hutchinson

Anonymous said...

Hey, Ang- our thoughts and prayers continue to be with you and your family. Keep up your amazing strength and faith. Thanks for the updates on the blog.

Anonymous said...

Good morning Angie,

I was so happy to read Alayna's blog this morning to see that she is doing better......yea!! Keep fighting angel Alayna!! Angie and Dana.....you two keep hanging in there too. You are wonderful parents and Alayna is so lucky to have you!! Angie, thanks for keeping us all updated on this blog. God bless!

All our love and prayers,

Meg, Bill, Alayna & Alexa

Anonymous said...

I just want you to know that I have been thinking about Alayna and the rest of your family since I found out. You are always in my thoughts and prayers and I hope God will bless little Alayna with good health soon. Love, Jan S.