We just saw the pulmonary doctors and they gave us a new plan. Alayna was x-rayed this morning and it doesn't show any improvement. I'm a bit saddened by that. It actually looks a bit more fuzzy on her right side compared to yesterday's x-ray. They said it isn't like she has gotten worse, just not better. She is holding her own, but having a very difficult time fighting the virus and coughing up and loosening the stuff in her lungs and chest.
It doesn't help that Alayna has hypotonia. That is why this is so difficult for her. She just doesn't have the strength that normal developing kids have to fight off these nasty bugs. Her muscles are weak anyway and this virus doesn't help in that area. She will obviously take longer to recover than a normal developing child. I know that she is in good hands. They are being very aggressive, constantly watching over her breathing and her lungs and making sure that it doesn't develop into a bacterial pneumonia. They don't think it will, but they want to cover all bases. Right now they are doing another CBC to determine white blood cell count and some various other enzyme counts.
The plan is to be extremely aggressive with CPT (chest percussion therapy/vibration to loosen her up) and deep suctioning. It will be written/ordered in her charts. It kind of stinks because it is constant interruption and contributes to our lack of sleep, but they feel it is necessary because she needs help with the secretions. She doesn't like to be suctioned very much, but enjoys the vibration on the chest and back.
I asked the doctors what kind of time line she looks to be taking. I teach and I need to let our administration know of what is happening. He thinks by early next week or at the latest, mid-week, she should be okay to go home. I hope he is right. She is back down to 1.5 L of oxygen and that is one of the main things that keep kids in the hospital. I'll keep you posted as we go down this adventurous path. We are always learning and passing it on to all of you. You never know when this blog may help someone else and that is what makes it all worthwhile.
SOOOOOOO Long ago!!!!!!
16 years ago



2 comments:
Angie,
Hang in there. You are where you need to be. Your students will do fine. Drake will be fine with us tonight and tell Dana not to hurry back. We are running a few errands and then coming home to put up Christmas decorations. Carson will love the company. Be sure to use us as you need. I can take your kids with me any time...they can run right along with us! Take care and give Alayna a kiss for us.
Lori
Lori, thanks so much for taking Drake and helping us out. I really appreciate everyone's efforts to lend us a hand. Family and friends are wonderful and we couldn't do it without them. I'll give Alayna a kiss for you. She is hard not to kiss! She is starting an antibiotic soon and I hope it helps her out. We'll talk soon.
Post a Comment