Friday, November 16, 2007

Battle with RSV....ugh!


On Monday this week, Alayna was to go to the CTC for her PT. Well, I knew all weekend that she just wasn't feeling too good and just wasn't herself. Dana took her anyway and it obviously didn't go too well. So, he headed to the Pediatric Group walk-in clinic to get her checked out. They thought she was just battling another cold and the good news was no ear infections!

As the week has gone on, she has progressively gotten worse. She hasn't had a decent nights sleep for a week and has been sleeping upright in her bouncy seat. She coughs to the point that she sometimes throws up. Her eyes have been watery and the left one is yucky. So, today I took her into the doctor again just to be sure. My gut said that something wasn't quite right. I could feel the rattle in her chest and on her back and her breathing was really labored. Lori, her babysitter, even noticed it and called me at school right away. To make a longer story short, she has the RSV virus and the good news is still no ear infections! No antibiotics were prescribed. It just has to run its course. However, nebulizer treatments about every hour to every 3 hours are absolutely necessary and a good beating on the back. Dr. Neptune told me to really pat her hard because it is just as important as the treatment itself. The goal is to loosen up what is in the lungs by causing vibration in her chest. He showed me how to do it and then had me try it. I was a bit too gentle by his standards. I felt like I was beating her. Glad we don't have neighbors or I'd have to pull the curtains!

I hope tonight we get a little more rest. But as you can see, she is still restless and awake. That's why I'm posting so late. She is coughing right now and sounds like she is going to hack up a lung. It's bad...gotta go. I'll keep you posted. Pray that she gets better soon. We don't want it to develop into pneumonia.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My heart goes out to you. I totally understand what you're going through. We've been dealing with wheezing and sleepless nights off and on for about 3 months now. Just keep your head up and the caffeine coming to make it through. Remember she will get better it'll just take time. :(

Mandy Hoag

Anonymous said...

Hello,Mommy it's Lexi. On Friday night our little peanut gave me the scare of my life! I hope this never happens again. I hope she gets better soon. I can't wait to see her again. Always rember I love you with all my heart.
BYE Alayna