I'm tube free and eating bottles!!!
Mom, can we go home yet?Parents never want to have to take their child to a hospital. What happened to us two weeks ago today was another life-changing moment in our lives. Reflecting on what took place really frightens me, but at the same time makes me thankful for each minute of every day. I would like to take a moment to share some things about the University of Iowa Children's Hospital and their wonderful staff. I always have heard that if you have to be in a hospital that "this is the place to be." I can honestly say that now I know what they mean. When you bring your child to a hospital, it is these kind of people that you want taking care of them. Trust me.
First, the nurses are the most awesome bunch of gals I've ever met. They are caring, personable, and willing to listen. They are compassionate and working hard to get your little one better. To me, they are like the teachers in a school. They have constant contact with the kids and basically keep the place running! I have met some great nurses here, developed some friendships, and learned some personal things about each one along the way. I've stood around talking to them, laughing with them, and just sharing stories with them. They have been there for me just as much as they have for Alayna. They truly have been my extended family for the past 2 weeks. I look forward to going home, but it will be a bittersweet goodbye.
Secondly, the doctors here are wonderful. Dr. Cara Hamilton is Alayna's resident doctor. I can't say enough about her. She is caring and calm. That helped me so much because there were certain times I might not have been so calm. She always listened and carefully analyzed each situation before making a conclusion on what to do next. She explains things clearly to me and answers my questions. She is compassionate and deeply cares about Alayna. She stops in each morning to see how Alayna is doing, tell me the plan for the day, and sometimes just to talk. I've had the privilege of getting to know about her, where she is from, and her family. Her husband is also a math teacher! I have no doubt that she will go far in her medical career.
Dr. Starner and Dr. Randark are Alayna's pulmonary doctors. They also stop in each morning, assess Alayna, and give me a plan for the day. I have no doubt in my mind that they are experts in their field. They are caring, compassionate, and have Alayna's best interest in mind. They were always working hard trying to figure out the best plan that would maximize Alayna's recovery. They want to get us home just as quick as they can.
Alayna also had her fair share of respiratory therapists. We also got to know many of them on a personal level because of her having CPT every four hours for quite a few days. They were also all wonderful.
I want to say a few things about some of the amenities here. I could get 2 tokens daily for snacks provided by Hy-Vee. The tokens are through the Children's Miracle Network. Laundry is free and I used it quite a few times. It's located just down the hall. The rooms are private and cleaned by a wonderful crew each day. Linens are in a closet by the nurses station and you help yourself when you need them. Alayna has gotten numerous stuffed animals, books, and pajamas donated by Barnes & Noble and other groups/clubs in the area. A Child Life worker stopped in frequently to ask if she needed any toys or if I needed anything. They provided me with this wonderful laptop. Alayna has enjoyed the cutest mobile and swing during her stay here. There is a complimentary breakfast on Friday's in the family lounge consisting of bagels, muffins, and breads. The hospital has many choices of dining areas and coffee shops. Ice and water is available in the nourishment room as well as a refrigerator. Each "pod" has its own nurses desk and someone is always there. I could go on and on. Someone has definitely done their research on making hospital stays a little bit easier for the families. Thank you.
Well, I hope Alayna doesn't have another incident that would require us to be in the hospital. But, if she does, this hospital would be our first choice. We couldn't have been happier with the care provided by all of these professionals. It takes special people to be in this field. I hope I didn't leave anyone out.
As of right now, Alayna is completely tube and wire free! We've been up and moving around the room, rocking easily in the chair, and enjoying another swing ride. She ate 3 oz this morning at 9 am. As long as she eats again today, we will probably be going home!!! I'll let you all know. I'm still working on getting her to smile. I get a lot of little grins.



2 comments:
I am so glad to hear that you're coming home today! I'm also so thankful that there are wonderful doctors and nurses to care for little Alayna. Can't wait to see you both!
Great news! We are thrilled to see precious Alayna looking so bright-eyed and contented. Bless you all.
Thanks again, Angie, for letting us share your journey. We continue to send our love and prayers.
Barb and Jerry
Post a Comment