Thursday, November 29, 2007

Happy 10 Month Birthday Alayna!

Alayna taking her long, days nap. She loves the birdie mobile. It is so cute. The birds spin around and their heads bob up and down. I've never seen a mobile quite like it.
So peaceful, surrounded by all the blankies. Happy 10 month birthday sweetie!

Well, it's not the best way to spend a 10 month birthday, but at least I have good news. Scott, the speech pathologist, came in and observed Alayna as she ate a bottle. She only took an ounce, but she did fine. He listened to her swallowing and watched her and he has no concerns of aspiration. Alayna just isn't too hungry right now for a couple of reasons. First, she hasn't eaten anything directly to her tummy for 13 days. Secondly, she has been on continuous feedings through the TP tube so she doesn't really crave any extra calories. They have removed the old tubes and put a new NG tube in (goes directly into her tummy). She is on feedings of carnation goodstart formula and it is slowly going right into her stomach.

Weaning back on to normal feedings can take some time and patience. They want to make sure she gets enough liquids to stay hydrated, but at the same time try to get her to feel a little hunger so that she'll take a bottle. Her tummy also has to get used to having food back in it. I can imagine how I would feel if I went without food in my stomach for 13 days and how I'd have to gradually work into eating again. I hope she doesn't get sick and this goes smooth.

Alayna has been very sleepy today. I knew it would catch up with her sometime. She is still gassy and she occasionally coughs up yuckies. But it all seems to be dwindling down. The rotavirus test results are still pending. Her oxygen levels are normal and you can't even hear her breathing.

Kim, one of the neonatal/pediatric AirCare Team members that flew Alayna here, came to see her today. She brought her a stuffed replica of the U of I helicopter and a keepsake photo. It was really thoughtful of her and she was glad to hear that Alayna was doing better. The entire crew took such good care of Alayna on the helicopter and we are so grateful.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to read that things are moving along for the better. Your entire family has been in my thoughts and prayers these last couple weeks. Just keep plugging along it seems like you'll get to sleep on that pillowtop mattress soon!!

Mandy

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear that things are looking up...and especially happy that the swallow eval went so well!!! Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with you and your family.

Sara Stout

Anonymous said...

Thanks Mandy. I hope your little ones are doing good too.

Sara, we are ready to get back to the CTC. It seems like forever ago that she's had a good session with Kim. Scott Daly (spelling?) was the one who observed her. I'm sure you know him. I hope to see you guys soon. I'll be calling.

Anonymous said...

Way to go! You've been a real trooper through all of this. Alayna is very fortunate to have a great family!

Chrystal Weller

Anonymous said...

I love you, Alayna! Happy 10 Month birthday! Come home soon!