Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanksgiving Day...it's looking up!

Well, there isn't too much to report so far today. Alayna is on her third NP tube through her nose because the last two got clogged up with gunk. Instead of using a 3.5 tube they decided to try a 4 and it is working just fine. It is a bit bigger and hopefully will do the job better. She continues to show signs of progress. In the early morning hours her oxygen level was set at 100%. We breathe room air which is 21% oxygen. So, her nurse and respiratory therapist decided to try and slowly wean her down. She is sitting at 60% and her levels are still doing great on the monitors.

Alayna seems to be more in tune with what is going on today. She has been using her IV'd hand as a weapon and trying to smack the tubes out of her nose. That's tough trying to defer her attention to something else. She just wants to rub her eyes most of the time and all of the wires and tubes are making that difficult for her to do. She got a quick sponge bath this morning and a new bow! She looks very pretty today. Her nurse changed her bedding and I did get to cuddle with her for a few minutes. It felt good to finally hold her.

She just got her third dose of antibiotic and I hope we see big changes in the next few days. I think we'll be here early next week, but I don't think it would be too much after that. I'm hoping and keeping my fingers crossed. I did get some turkey and pie today up on 3rd floor catered by Hy-Vee. It was very good and should pacify me until I get to Annette's. Dana is planning on staying with Alayna tonight and I'm going home to be with the other 3 kids and sleep in my own bed. But I'll be back up tomorrow. I know that I just can't stay away too long. It's the mommy thing.

No steps backwards today. I hope from now on we only report good progress. Keep the prayers going and I'll post again soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah! So glad to hear she is still doing better. I bet holding her today was magificant! Have a great evening enjoying your other children and your own bed!

Chrystal Weller

Anonymous said...

It was great to see Alayna on Thanksgiving night. Daddy was taking great care of her while you were getting some much needed rest and seeing the kids.
She is so sweet and beautiful! Please let us know what we can do to help.
Prayers & Hugs....