
Playtime on the floor!

Getting ready to go!
I feel like I'm on a never-ending roller coaster. The up's and the down's, the times where your breath is literally taken away, the times you see ahead that you can pause for a quick rest. Here I am being blatantly honest with all of you again. I've had many good days this past week. My way of thinking at times I realize kind of parallels my three-year old's way of thinking. Douglas has added a new imaginary friend to the family and his name is "Jeffrey." Jeffery gets blamed for a lot of things! Ha, ha. Douglas is a very creative and imaginative boy. He pretends well! I realize that I like to do the same thing. I like to pretend that there is absolutely nothing wrong with Alayna and I do a pretty good job of it when I'm at home and in my own surroundings. However, situations like taking her to therapy today sends me back with a huge reality check that I don't like to confront at times. It's like getting hit with a freight truck over and over. I've got to learn to work through this. As I drove home tears ran down my face with absolutely no effort at all. My mind races and I think about a lot of different things. God answered my prayer and gave me a baby girl. But I question him and myself. Was I not specific enough? Did you not hear me clearly? I wanted a healthy, baby girl. I admit, I'm scared. I've been very blessed in my life and only want Alayna to enjoy the same things that I've had the opportunity to enjoy. The road is long and I only see it getting tougher as she gets older. Where will I scrape up enough energy for tomorrow, the next month, the next year? Where will I get the strength to meet this challenge every day of our lives? I saw a crying baby in Wal-mart tonight. The parents seemed very frustrated. I smiled at that baby. I wanted to whisper in their ear that I'd trade our situation for the most colicky, crying baby of all time. I've got lots to work through, but they always say time will heal all wounds. Trust in the Lord....I will.
Don't get me wrong, Alayna is doing good. But it's hard to swallow the fact that she isn't going to be sitting up anytime soon. We are battling a flat head, like most babies do. The thing is most babies are able to sit by themselves in another month and they grow out of it and it doesn't become a concern. This may not be the case for Alayna and the mention of a helmet makes me cringe. Just another "non-typical" thing to deal with. We're not to this point yet and I pray we won't have to use it. We need to continue working with her at home. She tends to over extend her arms at the elbows and we need to make sure that she doesn't. Her legs are the strongest. Getting her head up off the ground takes alot of work for her. She is a good sport the entire time and cooperates with all the moving around.
I'm so proud of Alayna! She has met some milestones! She has found her hands and likes to occassionally suck on them! She also is recognizing her bottle and will voluntarily open her mouth for it. When I feed her veggies and fruit and she sees the spoon coming at her, she will also open her mouth. She is a very verbal baby and that means so much for communication. Alexis, Drake, and Douglas love her and are always trying to give her hugs and kisses. They sometimes get a bit close and she doesn't seem to mind at all. I think she enjoys the attention and just knows that they are her siblings. She is also becoming more tickleish and she is close to giggling when you squeeze her thighs. Alayna is enjoying play time more too. She likes for you to hold toys in front of her, especially her dolls, and she smiles at them.
I spoke to her pediatrician tonight for 25 minutes. He is so nice. We've decided to continue her on Prevacid. She is still spitting up, but it won't hurt her to take the medicine. He will be contacting me soon because Alayna has to have an ultrasound of her kidneys and bladder to check for scarring. It's a 3 month follow-up after being discharged from Peoria. He is going to also check on support groups for parents with kids with deletion syndromes and get in touch with a few of his other parents that have children with similar conditions. That would be great for me!



8 comments:
Hey Angie!
Just wanted to tell you what a great time we all had on the fourth of July. Jake keeps talking about Drake. And Alayna, what a beautiful little girl you have! She truely is precious. Keep your head up, Angie. You have a lot of love and support behind you.
Angie,
You're a wonderful mother and a true inspiration to all of us. Your strength is amazing, as difficult as times get. Alayna is a beautiful baby girl and she doesn't know how lucky she is to have a mother like you. You always strive to give her the very best and that's exactly what she's getting. I can't wait to see you on Friday and take her on another shopping spree - I had so much fun the last time we did that! I hope you know that I am always here for you and will gladly watch her anytime you need me to. Audrey and Will would love having a little baby around! :) Trust in the Lord.....as I know you do.
Angie,
It was so good to talk to you last night at Wal-mart. Thank you so much for sharing Alayna's website, it means a lot to know what is going on in your family. It sounds like you are doing all you can and giving it 100%. Keep your head high and good luck in making the decision to transfer to Iowa City to make things closer for all of you. Alayna is an absolute doll, she is just beautiful. It also sounds like she is a hard worker and things will start progressing very soon, you just wait and see. SKIP and BASHED are great resources, so you can rest assured if you need those services, you will be in good hands. Take care and we will pray for your family daily. It was good to see you, you looked great eventhough you are feeling the stress.
Wow, Alayna looks great, and the progress in communication is great news. About her education, all the choices you mention would be good and probably meet her needs well. The best choice, I feel, is to be educated in the Rockridge School District with local kids. Thier (RR) reputation for special education is great all the way through Pre-k to 12th grade. Alayna could be provided with appropriate accomodations all the way through school, including a one on one teacher's aid if need be to help with any of her needs. Not today or this week, but in due time you'll want to know your's and her rights and expect that from the district. They will comply because it is the law, and also because they all like you and you have given so much yourself as an extra fine Math teacher to make RR the fine district it is.
Hi Angie,
Boy, my heart goes out to you and your whole family. I can't imagine how hard this must be for you. Alayna is such a beautiful, precious baby doll. I admire your strength and honesty. You are a wonderful mother to 4 great children. My prayers go out to you and your whole family. Keep your chin up and take only 1 day at a time. Also, please remember that you are only human and are allowed "breakdowns". You have a wonderful husband, twin sister, parents, and friends/family to support you.
Take care and all my best,
Megan Sutton and Family
Hi Angie,
Boy, my heart goes out to you and your whole family. I can't imagine how hard this must be for you. Alayna is such a beautiful, precious baby doll. I admire your strength and honesty. You are a wonderful mother to 4 great children. My prayers go out to you and your whole family. Keep your chin up and take only 1 day at a time. Also, please remember that you are only human and are allowed "breakdowns". You have a wonderful husband, twin sister, parents, and friends to support you.
Take care and all my best,
Megan
Angie,
There is nothing so moving--not even acts of love or hate--as the discovery that one is not alone. By Robert Ardrey
Our fears our normal. Some of us fear starting a new job and making new friends. Taking an important test causes jitters in the bravest looking person. Our fears are merely reminders that we've forgotten to let God help us out.
So often we think we're alone, but we never are. We each have a Higher Power jsut waiting to be relied on. Nothing is too difficult or fearful for us to handle with the help of our Higher Power. When we develop the habit of letting God ease our way, our fears are gone.
I love you very much and I'm very proud of you as a mother and wife. God blessed you with four beautiful children.
Angie,
It was great talking to you yesterday. You are doing a wonderful job with everything and are allowed your time to grieve.
Our first two boys developed so quickly that while I was pregnant with Nate, I had said that if I could order a baby, I would order a child who would be a baby for a little longer. Well, I guess I got my wish! Almost three years later I still have a baby.
We all wish for "perfect" children - whatever that means - and I believe that we have perfect children. Each child is exactly who he/she is supposed to be. To me a perfect child is a happy child, and it appears that little Alayna is absolutely perfect.
Michelle
Post a Comment