

Alayna is getting more expressive each day. It is very reassuring that she is doing this. She is responding so much better to voices when people talk to her and try to get her to smile. She is developing lots of "rolls" too, notice the double chin above! Her strength is still improving and she seems to support more of her weight when held up on her feet in a standing position. Unfortunately, I'm still battling her "throwing up" every now and then. Usually, she doesn't do it more than once a day and sometimes there are days where she doesn't do it at all. I've quite giving her Prevacid because it isn't helping that at all and she isn't showing any more signs of acid reflux. I even had to pull over in Loud Thunder to clean up a major spit up mess. Douglas said, "Mom, Alayna's throwing up." UGH! And then I had to battle a few bees that got inside the van. Oh, if I only had a video camera attached to my head. Never a dull moment I tell you what!I'm going to try and give her unthickened liquids here soon just to see how she responds to it. I'd love for her swallowing to improve and see her have enough coordination to go back to a normal bottle nipple. I only have 8 cross-cut nipples and I'm washing them way too often! Hopefully, in time she will be able to take a normal bottle!
We visit Dr. Horwitz, our geneticist in Peoria, two weeks from today. I'll keep you informed as to what he does at this visit. I have absolutely no clue what to expect. We obviously know her diagnosis and I'm not sure what his part in the whole thing is. I look forward to him seeing Alayna, but at the same time I'm reluctant because I don't want to hear any news that would bring me down. We met him once and he seems to be a very nice doctor.
Like I said in the last blog, we took the kids to see the fireworks in Milan. What a busy place Benny's Pizza was! A bunch of fun and we got to see alot of faces that we haven't seen for awhile. It was nice and the kids had a blast. Douglas, who is 3, didn't like the fireworks and Dana had to walk around with him. I think both the noise and the "closeness" of them scared him. Alayna, well she ate her last bottle for the night at 9:00pm and she went to bed. She missed the entire show and she didn't mind at all! She is truly a great baby. There is just something about her...you just want to squeeze her when you see her.
I know that I try to live one day at a time and not look to the future too much. It's hard though. Anyway, I was asking our physical therapist about local schools that cater to special needs kids. Because I feel like I'm constantly thinking about it. I really hope Alayna will be able to stay within our school district and go to Andalusia for pre-school and Illinois City for elementary school. That is my dream and it would be ideal. However, there is a school behind Target in Moline called SKIP (Special Kids in Preschool). I've driven by this many times, but didn't realize what the school was about. Again, it's an option for special kids and it is truly reassuring that it is there. I can't believe all of the little ones born in our community this year. I know Macy H., Laikyn P., Claire S., Stella R., Emma R., and a few more little girls and boys. Sorry if I mispelled a few names. They will all be classmates of Alayna's and I pray everyday that it will all work out that she will be in school with them. They all come from good parents and families and Alayna has the possibility of having some really neat girlfriends. She is still trying to "talk back" when people talk to her, so this gives me hope that all will work out on the communication end of it!



5 comments:
Hi Alayna! Grandma Diana has high speed internet now at home! Love the pictures.
You are just so cute I want to pinch those chubby cheeks. Grandpa and I love the bath time picture. We enjoy seeing the progress you've gained in such a short time. Your facial expressions in the pictures says it all. You've come a long way and I know you'll continue to show us what determination can do for an individual. In addition, we will learn what perfection really means. We love you so much! Your Mommy is doing a terrific job!!!!
I couldn't wait to get home from Lexi's state softball tournament last weekend to hug our sweet little Alayna. She would have been really proud of her big sister when she got that awesome hit into left field. Those little girls on Lexi's team have learned so much this summer. I hope they have had fun all along the way, because at this age that's what it's really all about. Dana has done a great job with his "little people skills" and everyone agrees he is a wonderful coach.
Whether talking about softball or life, "It's really not whether you win or lose, but how you play the game."
Angie, you are truly a wonder. I know this summer has been hard and it has had to be stressful, but you are such a trooper and we admire you and love you so much for how you've handled everything and taken care of our special granddaughter.
God Bless and Love to you all. . .
Hi from Destin, Florida Alayna!! Thought about you today so we got online to see how you're doing. Love the new pictures! Hope to see you again soon.
Love, The Redlinger 5
What beautiful pictures of a beautiful little girl. We hope to see you at CTC again soon. Keep up the good work!
Michelle and Family
Post a Comment