Friday, July 27, 2007

I'm 6 months old!


Drake and Alayna just waking up in the morning!


Alayna's physical therapist suggested using a
small high chair for balance and arm strength.


Still working on sitting and head control. The bumbo helps!

Today we visited Dr. Neptune at the Pediatric Group for Alayna's 6 month check-up. She weighed in at 16 lbs 10 oz. Ironically, I looked to see what the other three kids weighed at the same time. Get this...Lexi was 16 lbs 9 oz, Drake was 16 lbs 6 oz, and Douglas was the meatier of the bunch at 16 lbs 13 oz. So, Alayna is right there with them and we are all very pleased. The doctor thought she looked great and directed me not to change anything right now. I've been kind of worried about continuing her thickened formula and what it will be like when we decide to change to thin liquids. But he reassures me that since we've found a concoction that she can eat and she is gaining, why mess with it right now. I agree, but I guess I'm one of those persons that likes to hear it from the doctor.

She is smiling up a storm. It seems like she has changed so much just within the past 2 weeks. I can finally say with absolute assurance that she recognizes "MOM." I love it. I've waited for this moment for a very long time. Something that usually happens around 4-8 weeks, I've had to wait 6 months for. I guess that's what makes this so neat and so special. By the way she smiles and reacts, I know she's thinking, "ya, that's my mom."

Her hands are in her mouth a lot! I'm glad that she has found them because she is starting to cut her right, center tooth on the bottom gum. I see a small white bit poking out. It shouldn't be long that the top will be breaking all the way through. I wonder how she'll handle teething? She is such a trooper and tolerates pain so well. We know that because of the UTI she had for quite awhile back in April. But I'll tell you what. When she got those shots today, she wasn't happy. I hate to say it, but I was kind of happy just to hear her scream. That is the loudest I've ever heard her cry. It was nice to hear!

We also went today to get her thyroid tested again. It was okay the last time, but it will be a test repeated every 6 months. She got her finger poked and she cried so hard again that I had to sit her up because she was gagging on her own spit. Poor thing...at least she won't remember.

I want to thank all of you again who check the blog regularly. I really feel a purpose doing this. It's both a way to communicate my thoughts and to educate everyone on raising a disabled child. Just spreading the word about 1p36 makes it all worthwhile. There isn't many of us out there, but it doesn't mean that it's any less important. I've found a great support group full of expertise on Yahoo and through it I've even met a family from Champaign, Illinois. As far as this family knows, we may be the only 2 cases in the state. Wow! Alayna is a special little girl whose loved so much by all who come in contact with her. There is just something about her. If you haven't had the chance to meet her, I hope someday you can!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

What great news, Angie! Alayna seems to be doing so well. I know that you are working so hard with her. She has been blessed with a caring, loving family. I am so glad that she knows her mommy too!! Sweet!

And thanks again for posting all the info. We appreciate it!

Love to you all,
Barb

Anonymous said...

Angie, she is so precious! I'm glad I can keep up by reading your blog. Thanks for doing this.

Ruth

Anonymous said...

July 30 . . . Happy Birthday to Angie,the best Mother Alayna could ask for. She is truly blest to have such a wonderful, caring Mother. We know it's tough Angie, but you are so special and are doing such a great job with your children. Richard and I love you very much.

Grandma Billie

Anonymous said...

Grandpa Denny, Mimi and I got to see Alayna giggle for the first time Saturday evening. What a great surprise! I have to kiss those chubby cheeks every time I see her. She is an absolute doll!

Anonymous said...

Alayna is just so darn cute! She takes some of the best pictures! I can't wait to see her soon and hear that giggle.

Happy Birthday!

Love,
Lora

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Angie..... Thanks for sharing all your updates. I have been waiting to meet that precious little girl. Boy Drake,Douglas and Lexi are sure growing up. They don't stay babies for long.... Have been thinking of you ......
Heather

Anonymous said...

Happy belated bday. Great to hear Alayna is doing so well. She is beautiful!
Love, Shanna

Anonymous said...

How exciting!!!! 6 months!!!! Little Macy just turned 5 months. Isn't is so hard to believe they are both this old already....times just flies. I'm so glad to read that Alayna's drs appointments are going well. Dr. Neptune what great guy....how lucky are we to have such a wonderful pediatrician who truly cares about our kids. Macy is now chewing on her hands nonstop and even gags herself on them sometimes. Those darn fingers just get in the way. I'm so excited about Macy and Alayna growing up together - even Alexis and Miranda. Its just so neat to have those select people that you know from when you're so little and continue to think about and see throughout your life. I think you and your family often and how things are going. Keep up the great work - you're doing great!!

Oh and I see from the other comments you just had a birthday - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Mandy Hoag

Angie said...

Thanks again for everyone's kind comments. I'm glad you enjoy the blog. I enjoy doing it. It just takes time and that is hard to come by in my house! We continue to work with Alayna and she will progress at her own pace. She is a sweetie.

Anonymous said...

I was filling in Ava's baby book for seven months and saw how much she weighed at her six month check up. I started laughing when I saw she weighed 16 lbs. 9 oz. What are the chances?

Angie said...

And they are cutting teeth at the same time!