
Sitting pretty in my pink bumbo chair!

Smiling at Grandma Billie!
Alayna is five months old today and I can't believe how time flies. After my last blog, I need a blog with some positive things! So here it goes. I was trying to think of some unique things about Alayna that some of you may not know. Alayna doesn't use a pacifier at all, she is not a fussy baby, and she rarely cries. When she is tired she just closes her eyes and you can literally watch her fall asleep. She doesn't require the vibration on the bouncy seat to keep her content, she is way too easy going, and she likes to suck her bottom lip in every now and then. She enjoys looking at the "fake" tree we have in the living room and smiling at it. She is beginning to giggle if you tickle her ribs, she enjoys car and stroller rides, and sucking on her hands when she is on her tummy. I can tell that she is gaining strength everyday. We are currently working on bearing more weight on her legs, sitting on my lap with her feet flat on the ground, tummy time on a wedge, spreading her hands, and grasping/swatting at toys. Tummy time is hard for her and instead of putting her head up, she'd rather suck on her hands and arms! That way it doesn't require any work! Alayna is doing better in her pink bumbo chair. It is a challenge for her to keep her head still and in position. She tends to sometimes let it fly to the back or to the front. Someone always has to be by her side if she sits in this right now. I can't wait until she can sit in the bumbo or in the exersauser and not be monitored at every second and just enjoy playtime!
She is such a good baby. Just a real pleasure to be around. It's hard not to cuddle her all of the time and squeeze her. She still gets lots of kisses on those fat cheeks. She is getting a bit of a double chin too! I stepped on the scale here at home and she was exactly 15 pounds. She still only eats 5 bottles a day that range from 4-5 oz with cereal added to each one. I'd still like that to increase to 5-6 oz, but kids with 1p36 sometimes have slower digestion. She doesn't get hungry as much. She loved carrots, despised peas (we quit them), and loves sweet potatoes. We've got a few veggies to get to still and we'll add the fruits after that. I can't wait to see her reaction to those. My other kids smacked their lips and loved each bite.
I want to thank those who have sent emails and made comments on the blog. Again, your support means so much. Today I got a special email from a friend who has a son with special needs. He was actually having open heart surgery in Iowa City as she typed the email. Her words were so comforting. I can't express how much reassurance and hope they gave me. Thank you. I do believe that these special kids are sent to us to teach us about compassion, recognizing differences, embracing uniqueness, and helping us to realize what we truly need to be thankful for.



5 comments:
Angie,
I've been sitting at the computer for 30 minutes now trying to find the right things to say to you. I read your blogs from 6/25 and from today. I cried, I smiled and I realized you are the most wonderful mother I have ever met. You love Alayna and she loves you, you can see that in her smile, and that is all that matters. I'm here for you whenever you need me. Emma is anxiously awaiting another visit from Alayna so they can play together.
I love you Angie!
Your Friend Always, Alison
Alayna is so precious - you know that, though. Everytime I see her she brings a smile to my face. I love talking to her and seeing her different expressions. It's wonderful to see the progress she has made in just a few months - she's amazing and her Mommy is amazing too!
Alayna's smile is so cute in that second picture! Audrey thought that she was cutting teeth - it looks like she has 2 bottom teeth!
Love those two pictures! She looks so cute and pretty! Have a great 4th of July! Thinking of you!
Love,
Kay
Angie,
I'm just getting caught up on your blogs and want you to know that you are doing a great job with ALL of your kids.
Having a special needs child is definitely a challenge, but you have risen to that and will continue to do so. I know that one of the things that I struggle with the most is trying to make sure that all of our kids feel loved....equally! (Which can definitely be a challenge.)
Besides taking care of your kids, you have to remember to try to find time to take care of yourself. Sometimes it is easy to get so caught up in trying to make Alayna's life better that it is easy to put your own feelings aside - I know, I have done the same thing. Just know that it is OK to be angry, it is OK to cry, and it is definitely OK to smile. I also want you to know that although raising a child with special needs will probably be one of the most challenging tasks of your life, it is also the most rewarding. It is truly amazing how these little people can make such an enormous impact on your life, as well as the lives of others.
Keep up the good work and know that we are thinking of your family. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help.
We look forward to seeing you again at therapy soon!
Michelle and The Guys
Post a Comment