2nd Birthday pictures taken at pictureme! at Walmart!
Alayna is fascinated with her left hand lately! She can be soooo sweet.
At most she'd give us is a 1/2 smile while looking at the camera. She'd smile, but never looking at the same time.
Of course we used the bumbo seat to help her sit and it worked nice.
So precious and of course more hands in the mouth! Walmart Photos
I'm so glad to have gotten photos of Alayna sitting up like a big girl and not laying down. I have been putting off her 2nd birthday photos and I finally just decided to go and do it. Alayna was a happy girl most of the time, but towards the end she was getting tuckered out. The lady was able to get some good shots and I am pleased. The most challenging thing was keeping Alayna's hands out of her mouth and having her sit still. She loves to move around in the bumbo and push back using her legs. I knew getting her to smile was going to be tough. She'd smile, but she would never look at the camera at the same time. She'd always look down or look to the side. Stinker! But she did good considering this morning she had a new tube put in her ear.
New Tube & ABR Hearing Test
It was an early morning for us here at the DeKeyrel household. We had to be in Iowa City by 7:15 am this morning. Alayna was the number 2 patient on the surgical list to get new tubes in her ears and have an ABR test at the same time. Her left tube needed to be replaced because it was clogged and had fallen out. Her right tube was fine so the doctor decided to leave it. And the most wonderful news was that her ABR showed normal hearing results. This is the second ABR that she has had and both results were the same! I'm thrilled and I doubt that she has to have another one for quite a long time. Alayna did well with the procedure, but the most difficult part for her is coming out of the anesthesia. She gets extremely irritable and cries a lot. And she refuses to open her eyes. This lasted for about 30 minutes in the recovery room and I was about to pull my hair out. I felt so bad for her because I think the anesthetic must make the kids feel funny and uncertain. But she eventually snapped out of it, ate her bottle, and off we went! Good job Alayna. Oh, and we got a weight on her...22 pounds. Thankfully she isn't very big because we do a lot of carrying her.
Sleep Issues
We are having sleep issues again. It seems like this goes in cycles for us. Alayna will have about 3 bad months and then maybe a good one and repeat this cycle. It's tough on us when we don't get our rest. And it isn't good for Alayna either. We've tried everything that we can possibly think of. This is a popular topic of discussion on our support group website and I know that many of us 1p36 parents deal with sleep issues. So many of the kids have sleep disturbances in the middle of the night. We wonder why research hasn't documented this as a possible characteristic of the syndrome. I really pray that Alayna grows out of it.
Lately, she is awake for at least an hour at a time in the very early morning. And when she wakes up she usually is crying very loudly to the point that I can hear her over a box fan in the hallway. It's not enjoyable at all. I resort to replacing her pacifier about 2-3 times and if that doesn't work I give up, close her door, and turn the monitor off. I'm sorry Alayna, but mommy needs her sleep in order to function. Melatonin is a natural supplement that can be bought over the counter and is supposed to help with sleep. I purchased some at Walmart and we are trying it. For some kids it works and for some it doesn't. I didn't see much difference the first night, but the second night she slept from 8:45pm-6:45am! Yahoo!!!! But then the next night was torture again. So, I have no conclusion at this point. She is sending me mixed messages!
Annual IFSP Review - Early
Intervention
Last Monday we had Alayna's yearly IFSP review at the CTC with her EI coordinator and therapists. They are all so pleased with how much she has come along in just the last 6 months. She is interacting with toys and is wanting to know how they work. She is starting to bear weight more in her legs and initiate standing from a sitting position on our knee. Her stander seems to be really helping with this and she is adapting well to it. She now gets through at least 45 minutes of therapy when it used to be only a few minutes before she'd get mad and fussy. Eating is going good and she is taking more foods with texture. Her EI coordinator gave us some information to read regarding schooling for her next January. It is unbelievable that it is time to start discussing this already. But when she turns 3 she will graduate from EI and be responsibility of the Rockridge School District. We are thinking about options and in May we will have a 6 month review and likely be closer to a decision. Overall, we are happy with Alayna's continual progress and we are committed to making sure she gets the necessary services to keep moving forward.



11 comments:
Angie~Alayna's pictures were precious! She is a beautiful little girl, I love her hair!! Yea for the good news with her hearing tests. I hope she starts sleeping thru the night for you! Thank goodness summer is around the corner!
Nikki
I love the pictures. They are so cute. I am with you on the sleep issues between Kylee waking up around 2 or 3 in the morning and my 8 month old thinking he only needs to sleep a half hour at a time. I am low on sleep and also have to close the doors sometimes. Happy to hear ABR went well. We are also working on the school process. We had our first meeting on Friday. Time goes by so fast. Hope you get some sleep soon :)
Karen
Angie...
I have been following your journey. Your daughter is beautiful!
Good luck with the sleeping...your family is in my prayers.
Those are the best pictures! I hope I can get one. :) I'm so glad to hear about her progress that she's making...we all know that she tries very hard. I hope that her sleep issues will resolve for her and for you all very soon. I'm looking forward to hearing about her benefit in Chicago too.
Great pictures- she looks like such a big girl. We find that with Zoe too- sometimes she just looks so big and grown up, and sometimes she still looks so little! Good news on the ABR and hopefully the sleeping will improve soon. In case we didn't say so before, happy birthday and love from Zoe.
All the best,
GGZ
Priceless photos! I need to try Wal-Mart again. I love the one where she is looking at her hands and the one with her profile and darkened background -- well, I guess I love them all. I'm so sorry about your interupted nights. I know I'd be a bear without my sleep. I hope Alayna grows out of that too. I remember the feeling of Jade about to turn 3 and the uncertainty I had about her starting school at such a young age. It's hard to make any change in your schedule and sending your baby to school at the age of 3 is a huge change! I'm sure you'll decide what's best for Alyana as you always do! Take care and thanks again for sharing your little one with me!
Chrystal Weller
We love the pictures of our beautiful little Alayna - We hope that she starts sleeping better for mommy. Just think only 6 weeks left of school until summer break!!!!!! Lindsay can't wait to share these pictures with her friends.
Love you,
Danette, Lindsay, Collin and Gary
Thanks for all of you lovely comments about Alayna's pictures. And the good news is that she has been sleeping better since her tube was put in. I don't know if there is a connection or not, but I'll take it! Last night was the first night she slept through the night in a very long time. I love her even more today!!! And thank you God. Amen.
Hi Angie!
Love the pictures of sweet Alayna! They are so good and precious!! So sorry to hear about her sleep issues....hopefully, you will have some relief soon. Keep up the great work!
Love,
Meg, Bill, Alayna & Alexa
Angela and Dana,
Alayna is so beautiful, as all of your children are. The photographer captured some lovely photos.
I am so happy to hear of Alayna's progress. I will continue to pray for all to get more sleep. Continued prayer for your strength through the toughest times.
You have a beautiful family.
She is beautiful... You are so awesome for letting us into your world, thank you !!!
;-}
Teresa Olive
Post a Comment