Thursday, March 26, 2009

Alayna In Her Stander

Alayna will stand in the stander anywhere from 10-25 minutes at a time. She is doing well and is adjusting faster than I thought. As long as she has a toy, she is happy!

Here is her favorite cloth book again. She loves eating it! The tray to the stander is a Godsend.



Alayna had to go back today to get her AFO's adjusted and cut back on the foot part. They were too closed around the top of her foot and that made it extremely difficult for us to get them on her. They are much better now and this is the first time she stood in the stander with her AFO's on. She didn't mind them at all.

I haven't put her standing completely vertical yet. I've always left her at a slight angle by recommendation from her PT. Usually she tries to sneak her knees up out of the stander, but since her AFO's were on she didn't do this. Maybe they won't allow her to. That would be wonderful because her PT was going to try some knee guards on Monday at her PT session. Maybe she won't need them after all.





Oh, it's so hard getting all of them together at the same time for just one photo! Someone always has to be the clown! Tonight it was Drake. They all still do so well with Alayna and truly love her. Lately, Douglas has been asking me if Alayna is a baby. I don't know why he asks that. I tell him, no she isn't really a baby, she is a toddler. He looks at me funny and I just tell him that she has a lot of baby qualities which is nice! He just smiles....
They are looking forward to a week from now when Spring Break starts. Their Grandpa and Grandma DeKeyrel are blessing them with a vacation to Disney World. Alayna is not old enough to go, so she is staying back home!


Not too much has been happening lately other than the normal, daily grind of work, school, house chores, ball practices, etc. Unfortunately, Alayna is going through another round of restless, early mornings. For a week now she has woke up sometime between 4am-5:30am crying. And she is loud! I can hear her over a closed bedroom door and a box fan on medium speed. It's a period of fussiness that can last anywhere from an hour to an hour and a half. I've been getting up about 5-7 times to replace the pacifier. God, I wish she could find this herself and put it back in. Oh, this task is so hard for her and I hate that it is. I think it is her teeth. Her chin has been really red and broke out lately and that is the only thing I can contribute it too. She doesn't have a cold or ear infection and she is not hungry because she eats more than I'd expect her to. She did this same thing awhile back and I pray that with time it too shall pass. I'm longing to be awoke by my alarm clock and not Alayna.


Again, thank you for reading Alayna's blog and for keeping up with her development. Honestly, things are looking up! Outings are getting a bit easier and Alayna just seems to be happier more often because of her ability to entertain herself. I hope that this summer is easier than the last one. I know that therapy sessions will still keep us busy and nap time will still be important, but I really hope that we can go to the pool more often and get outside and play. It's no fun staying inside every day and feeling cooped up. We'll just have to see!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic news! It's great to see Alayna standing. She is truly making great progress and I look forward to the day she takes off walking/running.

Love,
Grandma Diana

Anonymous said...

Alayna,

I am so excited for you. The world is opening up for you.

Please tell you brothers and sister to have a wonderful time at Disney World.

Love, Bella

Annette said...

I am so glad that you finally got your stander, Alayna. It looks like you're enjoying it! You're getting to be such a big girl - and I still love that hair of yours!

Karen said...

Alayna looks so good in her stander and it is super cute. So much cuter then our John Deer Green one we have. I am so happy you showed the picture of Alayna with her cloth book because you gave me a great idea. Kylee has one and I think she would ove it. She hates plastic toys she only wants toys that are made of material. So I will have to try it out.
Hope all is well...give Alayna a big hug from her friends in Wisconsin :)
Karen

Anonymous said...

Angie - you are such a fantastic mom and writer. Thanks for sharing your words ... and of course, thanks for sharing the darling pics on your little sweetie. She looks so grown up in her stander. - Keri

Meg said...

Hi Angie!
Alayna looks great in her stander! Yea!!! Way to go Alayna! As always, keep up the great work and Alayna and the rest of your beautiful kids look great!

Love,
Megan, Bill, Alayna & Alexa

MichelleH said...

conkelnat3
Alayna looks great in her stander! And it looks like she is enjoying herself! How exciting to have a new option for her....and a new perspective on her world! I'm sorry to hear about the restless mornings and hope that this phase will pass quickly!

Anonymous said...

Wow. Alayna looks great in her stander! I'm glad to hear it is going well. What a cutie!! Have a wonderful spring break. I certainly hope you find it relaxing!
Chrystal Weller

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! It is so good to see Alayna standing!The stander looks really cool!! The tray is a really good thing as well!

Hope everyone had a AWESOME Spring Break!!!

Take Care,
The Galloway Family :)