Cool! I'm headed to Lexi's softball game!
Go ROCKET FIRE 10 & Under Team!!!
I just had my bath and I'm giggles. I get that way when I'm somewhat sleepy.
Her hair is so cute pulled to the side. I can't wait for the day I can take that STARband helmet off for good. An hour each day is just enough time to tease her.
Showing off my new velcro on sunglasses! I'm ready for the outdoors now!
Still giggling...mom is playing itsy, bitsy spider with me and I smile every time.
Trying to keep my smile even though I hate the sun in my eyes.
Smiles behind the pacifier!We all love to enjoy the spring weather and be outside, right? Well, I've found this to be challenging over the past year with Alayna. Last year if she'd see the sunlight, or any bright lights for that matter, it would trigger a sneeze. In turn, that would set off her gag reflex and then she'd even sometimes throw up her bottle. It wasn't fun to battle at all! So, we stayed inside more than usual all spring and summer.
One of my goals this spring and summer is to get outside more. Alayna still sneezes, but she doesn't throw up! Yeah. That was a huge milestone for us. I'm beginning to miss getting outside, playing with the kids, working in the yard, or just taking a walk up the driveway. The only issue still is Alayna's sensitivity to sunlight. It holds me back from being outside more. Last year was easier because she was in a rear-facing carrier on top of the stroller, but now she is in an umbrella type stroller and occasionally she gets the direct sunlight right in her face. She hates the bright sun and won't even open her eyes. She is unable to see the outdoors and look around at her surroundings. She's missing out!
After posting a "help me" email on our 1p36 support group site, I received quite a few helpful tips. Remember, the parents of 1p36 kids are truly the experts on anything. And they are always right there eager to offer help. Of course, I tried to use a blanket to shade her, but we all know that doesn't work 100% of the time and how much fun is that for her? So, one suggestion I got was velcro sunglasses. I've never seen them before, but I found them at Target and bought 2 pairs (one for a back-up). They are the coolest thing if I can get her to keep them on. Alayna is modeling them above. I'll have to put them on before the helmet though because otherwise they are not right up next to her eyes and the sun can sneak through. I'll let you know how she tolerates them. And the other suggestion was to buy an attachable umbrella for the stroller to provide additional shade. They supposedly have them at Walmart and Toys R Us, so I'll check it out when I go there soon. And I think we'll stick with wearing a Rocket Fire hat to shade her eyes as well. It is the only hat I've been able to find large enough to fit over the helmet and stay on. Cute little sun hats just aren't big enough and won't strap around the chin. Doctors are not sure as to why 1p36 children are so sensitive to light. One theory is their inability to produce tears, so their eyes are drier than normal which makes them more sensitive. Alayna doesn't cry often and she has never cried tears.
Alayna did go to get a STARband check last night. I was concerned that it was big and slipping a lot on her head. They tell me it is fitting just the way it is supposed to and that the flatness in the back of her head will take the longest. Since Alayna was older when she was put in it, she may have to wear it longer than expected. She just hasn't had a huge growth spurt that would cause her head to change too drastically. I plan to follow up in 4 weeks and see what their opinion is. Many people have told me that they have a flat head in the back too, but you would never know because hair disguises it. I'm happy with how her head looks right now, but if we still have possible potential for change, I'm not ready to take the STARband off quite yet. She's only been in it for 3 months now. I keep telling myself...patience!
I wanted to share this thought with you before I sign off for the evening. I often reflect about my life and I can honestly say that I knew I wanted children of my own from a very young age. Even when Dana and I planned to marry, we both agreed we wanted children. I remember the topic being brought up by our minister as he reviewed our marriage inventory we had to do for our pre-marriage counseling. I just never quite expected that I would have 4. It still baffles me every now and then. I might have visioned 2 or possibly 3, but if someone would've asked me 15 years ago if I'd have 4 children I would've probably said "are you joking?" However, I know now why I have 4 children. The answer is crystal clear to me. I never knew my own capacity of loving a child until I had Alexis, my first. I fell in love with her and I fell in love with children. This feeling is indescribable until you have your own children. I know parents reading this can easily relate. Yes, they are a challenge at times, but the benefits of watching them grow, watching them learn, and influencing their lives far outweighs the little negatives. Children are blessings.



4 comments:
Angie,
I am just catching up on your last two posts - somehow I missed your last one and this week has gotten away from me!
I, too, remember the day we received Nate's diagnosis. News of a "syndrome" definitely puts us through a greiving process for the child we "thought we had". I know that my sadness was for the difficulties that Nate would face, but he never approached life like that. Rather, he always seemed happier than any of us, which is the message that we hope to continue to spread to people. Because of our wonderful children the world is a better place. They teach us to slow down, have patience, and appreciate the little things in life. Because of Alayna, you are approaching things in an entirely different way, savoring each and every moment and appreciating developmental miletones that we often take for granted.
Angie, you and Dana are doing an amazing job with your little girl and are sharing with so many the joys of parenting a special needs child. We, too, found it to be a life's greatest blessing. What an honor you have been given. Bless you for sharing your joys and for baring your soul to us.
Love,
Michelle, Ryan,
Connor, Kellen & ^Nate^
Angie-
We have had very similar experiences with Brady. I remember the first day that Brady "saw" the Phoenix sun (not to be confused with THE Phoenix Suns). I thought for sure we were doing permanent damage to his eyes. He wouldn't keep his glasses on and would bury his head in my chest every time we were outside. I was afraid to go to the grocery store because of the walk from the car to the store. People just couldn't understand how stressful this was. We just kept trying with the glasses and eventually he learned that he could see better with them. It is still a struggle to be outside (or inside with big windows and the sun shining in...we often do his therapies at home with the curtains shut because he can concentrate better) for extended periods of time but things are slowly improving. I'm glad the velcro glasses seem to be working. If they don't keep trying as many as you can find. We tried several pairs before we found some that worked. Now he is not too picky. We have them laying all over the house as he needs them every time we head out for anything. I'm still shocked (but grateful) every time we go to the eye doctor and they don't find any structural damage. The only answers they can come up with are blue eyes + light skin = light sensitivity. There has to be more to it than that but what can you do but keep trying. Hopefully Alayna will adjust to the glasses and you can enjoy the sun together. Your family sounds very active. I have to admit I'm excited to hear that your daughter plays softball. I played minor league baseball and more recently was a head coach at a high school in utah. I understand how difficult it is to feel homebound when you are used to doing so many things. Good luck with everything.
Troy Farnsworth (Brady's Dad).
Angie,
What a cutie pie you have with Alayna. Good luck with the sunglasses. I'm sure Alayna will learn that sunglasses equals relief and wearing them will enable her to enjoy the outdoors. It was great seeing you the other night. We must try to get our families together soon!! I know you guys are busy with all your activities, so you need to let us know a date that works for you. We are far more 'free'. Tell Dana 'hello' .
Take care,
Meg, Bill, Alayna & Alexa
Angie- I just found your site tonight and I cannot tell you how excited we are to have found you. Our daughter Lily was just diagnosed with 1p36 on April 10, 2008. Lily is 11 months old. We have spent the last 11 months in and out of the hospital, running multiple tests trying to figure out what was going on with Lily. We have had a ton of the same tests you mention in your postings. Our GI doctor assured us it was just nutrition and as soon as we got that under control by putting in a g-tube Lily would start developing. He was 1/2 right. Nutriton was just a piece of it.
It was quite a shock the day we got that call from the genetic counselor. Like you - we immediately got on the internet and in trying to find information we stumbled upon "Adventures in Raising a Disabled Child". To date Nate's blog has been our best information. And now finding your site is helping us even more because Alayna is close to Lily's age.
Our families seem to have a lot of similarities - Lily is our 4th child too. We have a very strong faith in God - which is the only way we have made it through the last year. Lily has a strong sensativity to light as well - I have bought hats for the summer and I am definately going to try to find those Target sunglasses! I didn't put two and two together that it was a 1p36 thing.
We created a blog right after we found out. We only have one post right now - it is basically the letter we sent to all of our friends and family telling them about the diagnosis. Hopefully we can continue to grow it. Like you - we want to help as many people as we can who have 1p36. Our blog is http://godgaveusyou.blogspot.com
We are from Indiana - so we are close in proximity too. If you are interested - I would like to contact you as we have lots of questions. Our email is hungrydawg@gmail.com.
Take care and God Bless! Julie
Post a Comment