Here is Alayna in her new rear-facing big girl car seat. She doesn't mind it at all!
Here is Daddy and Alayna ready for bed...both asleep on the couch. Can Alayna breathe?LOL!I've changed the intro song on Alayna's blog. Thanks Michelle for passing it on to me. I've heard this song many, many times on the radio or wherever, but I've never quite listened to the words. It is a message that hits close to home. So listen as you read. Music is a neat way to express thoughts and feelings. Feel free to pass on other songs if you hear one that seems to "say it all."
It has been another very busy week here in the DeKeyrel household. As you can see from the above photo, we never get enough sleep and I didn't have time to take many new photos to share. Sorry, but I'll try to take more this week.
I have some updates I'd like to share with all of you. First, Alayna is now officially riding in a big girl car seat. We said goodbye to the infant carrier about 2 weeks ago. We do still use the carrier at home to prop her up every now and then because it is so convenient. Using the big car seat has been an adjustment for me and Patti the most so far. We are the one's carrying Alayna the most and taking her in and out of the car, to therapy, or to wherever else the other kids need to go. The challenging part of it is that Alayna isn't a typical kid to carry. Since she lacks strength in her core muscles she doesn't provide us much help. She gets floppy sometimes and she throws her head back and she just moves everywhere. Don't get me wrong, she is getting much better!!! I've seen a huge difference in the past month, but it is still hard at times. For longer visits somewhere we resort to using the umbrella stroller.
Therapy is going awesome. We are so thankful for Comprehensive Rehab to be in Muscatine. Not only is it close, but they work her hard! I love hearing that because she is progressing so well. Her OT and PT are happy with how she is doing and are really focusing on the sitting. And one thing I have to remind people of is when they hold Alayna, don't hold her like a baby. It is so easy to just cuddle and swaddle her, but we need to make her work and sit and hold her head up. Right now we are also working on her kneeling and use a "peanut" for balance or I just use my leg. Last week Alayna sat for 29 seconds! That is a long time if you think about it. I hope we can get a sitting picture at a studio soon. We are also working on putting Alayna on to her side and doing "elbow" time. She doesn't enjoy it too much, but does better if she has a musical,light up toy to watch. The "sounds and lights" toy is a lifesaver when it comes to therapy and getting her to stop fussing and stay focused. She loves it! Comprehensive Rehab has one and we have one here at home. It really helps to get her to look up and hold her head up. Alayna continues to roll from back to tummy and tummy to back. Occasionally, she still has a hard time when her arm gets stuck underneath of her. I do think that when her helmet comes off she will do much better. It's a distraction and it's cumbersome. The developmental therapist will be coming soon to show us more techniques for play time. We are working on a good time in the day for that appointment. It's tough squeezing all of the therapy into limited hours.
Alayna is eating well, but I sure do wish she' d try "table" food like crackers and bananas. Texture is definitely a big issue right now as well as realizing how to move food to the back of her mouth to swallow it. Most of the time she just gags on it. Even if it is the smallest piece of something. We'll keep trying! I've given her a banana and a cracker in a mesh bag feeder, but I have to hold it. She did pretty well though, so that is a start. Alayna still enjoys baby food and her bottles, so we'll stick with all of that for now. I have to remind myself to be patient for everything.
Alayna seems to be starting to use her tongue more to make sounds. It's been kind of a hit and miss thing. Most of her sounds so far have been what I call "internal" sounds where no air comes out. I really think that some of these new sounds she has been making are something we can eventually work with! Yeah. I keep doing signs with her like mom, dad, more, and eat. I don't think she understands any of them, but when I sign "mom-mom" she either smiles or laughs. I'll keep doing them. Repetition is the key and eventually it will "click" someday.
Something we are beginning to see is how much Alayna puts her hands and fingers in her mouth. I know she is cutting teeth. It's obvious by looking in her mouth and seeing all of them coming in at the same time. But she will put her hands in her mouth upon frustration too. She prefers to suck on the part between her thumb and index finger. We are trying hard to either divert her attention to something else, put in the pacifier instead, or just pull her hands away. She has made a small callous on one of her index fingers and has a bite mark on her thumb. Many of the 1p36 parents informed us of this challenge at the Florida conference last November. Their advice was to just stay on top of it and hopefully they will overcome it. Oh, another thing I do is pull her sleeve down over hand because most of the time she can't figure out how to uncover her fingers. At least it is a barrier.
Our 1p36 support group on Yahoo has been growing with new members. Over the past few weeks, we've had many new members because of more children getting a diagnosis. Some of the children are under a year old, but some are 2-3 years old or older. Dr. Shaffer's efforts are paying off. The medical technology is there and it is the answer to many parents questions. One family in particular is from Normal, Illinois. They too have 4 children and their youngest is 3 years old and has been diagnosed with 1p36. They are so close to us and I really hope we can meet each other someday soon. Dana and I both graduated from Illinois State University, so we are way too familiar with that area. I know we'll be in that area this summer for Lexi's softball, so I'll make every effort to try and get together with them. Our support group is so valuable to us that it is hard to express that in words. And I appreciate those members who check Alayna's blog and for their encouraging messages.
Alayna continues to be so cuddly. She enjoys being held and I enjoy holding her. I look forward to the day where she reaches out to me when I go to grab her and I look forward to the day she hugs me back. Okay, and I can't wait until she can give me a big kiss too. We continue to enjoy our little angel. Learning is an ongoing process for everyone no matter what the situation. Alayna continues to play a big role in our families learning. Keep checking the blog for updates and thank you to those who always leave us a message. We read all of them!!



10 comments:
I'm glad to hear of the progress Alayna continues to make. It's wonderful. I bet Alayna will be signing soon. I thought Jade didn't understand what we were doing with the signs either, but one day, she signed "milk" and after that we hit the signs hard. She still uses them.
I read your page twice a week and enjoy learning with you. The pictures are always adorable and the information interesting. Most of the time, I shed a tear or two. I think it's because it brings back so many memories and your posts are inspirational to me as a mom with a special needs daughter! Thank you for that!
Chrystal Weller
Chrystal,
I think of you and your family often. I saw Jade on the school bus with Douglas the other day. She is so cute. You know, we parents of special needs children must stick together. Parenting isn't an easy thing. I'm glad you enjoy the blog. It's primary purpose is to educate and create awareness. Take care!
Hello again from Arizona.
Just wanted to tell you that we felt the same exact way about signing when Brady was this age. It took over a year for him to pick up his first sign, about six months for the second sign and then, boom, he just caught on and has learned 20 - 30 more signs over the last few months.
I remember reading Nate's blog and thinking there was no way Brady would ever be able to sign like Whitney but slowly and surely he is getting there. Keep up the great work!
Hi Kajsa. Thanks for reading the blog and I appreciate your kind comments and words of encouragement! How old is Brady now and how old do you think he was when he picked up on his first sign? From what everyone is saying we've got to stick with it and it will eventually click. I admit it is tough to remember to do it sometimes. I need to get better at taking advantage of those little moments I can sign eat, drink, mom, dad, more, etc.
Angie,
I always look forward to your posts and am so excited to see how well Miss Alayna is doing. Keep up the good work! She will be sitting like a champ in no time.
Michelle
P.S. I'm glad you liked the song!
I check the blog often and am glad to hear the progress Alayna is making! We get so busy at school talking about lessons, etc. But believe me, I keep up on Alayna through the blog! You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers often!
Hi Angie,
Brady is currently 33 mos.
Signed "more" at 18 mos.
Signed "food/eat" at 24 mos.
Then a handful of others around 27-30 mos. Brady LOVES food and learned food-related signs first becasue he was more motivated with those! We would tell him to sign "more" in order to get more of whatever he was eating. However he didn't start signing on his own (without us saying "show me the sign for more, etc.) until just recently. It has been such a sloooooow process but definitely worthwhile for us in the long run. The Signing Time DVD's were a big help and are the only shows Brady will watch.
I hope that helps!
Hi Angie,
I am Kay and Lora's friend from high school. I just wanted to let you know that I enjoy reading updates on your blog and hearing how Alayna (and your whole family) is doing from Lora. I just wanted to let you know that Alayna has been in my prayers since she was born. What a blessing to see how she is growing and doing so well! She is SO BEAUTIFUL! I could see how it would be hard to resist the urge to cuddle with her. :) Isn't it amazing how God puts hardships in our lives and they turn into such great blessings! I know it is not the same as having a special needs child, but when I was unable to have a biological child, I was devastated and then when we adopted our son, I couldn't have felt more blessed that God appointed ME as the mother of this amazing little boy. My eyes were opened to the blessing of adoption which has changed me in so many ways! It is not something I would have chosen if it had been up to me, but I am SO GLAD it was chosen for me because it has filled my life with more joy than I could have imagined possible!
Jennie Peakin
She is accomplishing so much! I've been bombarded with homework the last few weeks and have not been able to check up on how Alayna is doing. It sounds like she is doing wonderful and advancing in everything! It is such a wonderful thing to hear! I wish for you that things keep going as well as they seem to be!
Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Massagem, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://massagem-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.
Post a Comment