Friday, April 18, 2008

Reflection On One Year Ago Today

Alayna has such an angelic face. I love watching her sleep.
She has a very tiny little mouth and lips.
Getting sleepy before bed and she is tired of me stalking her with the camera.
What a cute little pose....but that's about all of the cooperation that I got! Not one smile?
Big brown eyes!
Alayna is still teething and her little chin and sides of her mouth are red from all of the sucking on her hands and slobbering.
Sitting in her bumbo. She lasts so much longer in it - maybe about 10 minutes and then she gets bored and tired.
Thank you to all of you who leave comments on my blog. My mom loves your kind words and encouragement. They mean a lot to her and she reads every one of them.
Alayna still wants to keep her head looking down, so we use the sounds & lights to get her to look up. She likes watching the lights blink back and forth.

Okay mom! Maybe I'll give you one little grin....now leave me alone!


One year ago today, April 18, 2007, was probably the day that had one of the largest impacts on my life (and my families lives). I was still home with Alayna on maternity leave and we were getting ready to go to Muscatine Community College to visit Grandma Billie. The phone rang as I was getting ready to walk out the door. On most days I would've just let it ring to the answering machine, but something told me to go back and answer it. I'm glad I did.


Our genetic counselor from Peoria was on the other end. She informed me that they discovered what Alayna's developmental delays and health issues were contributed to. She told me that Alayna had 1p36 Deletion Syndrome. All I can remember is frantically grabbing a pen and scratch paper on the desk to write down as much as she was telling me and as fast as I could. I was speechless for two reasons. One, because I had no clue what she was telling me and two, because I knew this meant something was really wrong. My worst nightmare was coming true. A deletion syndrome? My mind was saying what the heck is that? I remember her words back to me were "you are handling this very well. Are you okay?" I was handling it well because I was in this state of shock accompanied with fear. What was Alayna's future going to be like? Will she be okay? Even the thought of losing her flickered in my mind.


I instantly called Dana at work and he, along with his parents, rushed right home. We did internet searches and read the computer screen through blurred eyes full of tears. Blinking to get them to clear was difficult because I remember them pouring out of my eyes with no effort. What we read was not comforting at all. Very little research was out there to look at due to the newly diagnosis of 1p36 kids. However, we did find a blogsite done by a father of a 1p36 daughter. It is now a link on this blog. That was the best site ever and we felt like we had hope and reassurance that things were going to be okay. (Thank you Nate) Now, if you ask me if I believed that then I would say no. But faith, love, and watching Alayna progress has me convinced now. It just took a little time.


The very next day, April 19, 2007 we headed to Peoria to meet with our "new" genetic doctor from Chicago, Illinois. He gave us some copies of medical journals if we wanted to try and read them and basically couldn't tell us anymore than what we already knew. He was a nice doctor, but it wasn't the most comforting visit for any parent. He just wasn't the kind of doctor you ever plan to have an appointment with. And hearing that he had never had another 1p36 patient before was not what we wanted to hear. From that day forward, we promised to do whatever we could to help Alayna develop and ensure that she continued to progress forward at the pace that she chose. Unfortunately, we absorbed ourselves into researching on the internet and it wasn't the best thing for us to do. We learned quickly that it wasn't going to help our situation by being negative and not having a positive outlook. We vowed to stay off the internet unless a medical situation arose and we put the information we had already read in the back of our minds in case of future use.


It was easier said than done. I went through a grieving process of my own for quite awhile. I had a broken heart. It was losing the dream that I had envisioned in my mind and played out over and over again. If you are a parent I know you can relate to what I'm talking about. Most days I didn't want to leave the house because I seemed to handle the situation better in my own little world. I didn't have to come face to face with the public, friends, see other children Alayna's age, and explain anything. It was comfortable and peaceful at home. However, I do remember a few rainy days were just the trigger to set off the tears. I learned that tears were okay and crying isn't a sign of weakness. But time does heal all wounds and my faith and family were my rocks.


It still seems unreal at times, but we have all come along way. Sometimes it isn't easy, but I'm proud to be Alayna's mom and I'm grateful God sent her to me. She has opened my eyes to another world that I was completely oblivious to. She has taught me so much about unconditional love, compassion, patience, acceptance, and overcoming challenges. My goal is to tell her story and educate as many people as possible about special needs children. I want to create awareness for our 1p36 families across the world. In fact, next Monday I am going into the Parenting class at the high school where I teach to talk about Alayna. The students just completed a unit on genetic disorders and the teacher remembered how I offered to speak about Alayna. I accepted her invitation without any hesitation. I'm honored to talk about my daughter. One year ago today, my outlook for Alayna was clouded, unclear, uncertain, and full of fear. Today, it is a completely different story. I have nothing but hope and certainty that she is going to be just fine. I now have a new dream that plays over and over in my head. She will be the person God intended her to be and I'll love her every step of the way.


April 18, 2007 will be a day embedded in my heart and mind forever. God has blessed me and I hope he blesses you too. So here's to NEW DREAMS!


11 comments:

The Smith Family said...

Angie and family,
I am not sure if I am posting this correctly, but I sure hope you get my note to you. I know your sister Annette and knew of the "twins from Rockridge" when I was in highschool. :) I met Annette personally threw Megan and Bill Sutton. Well, Megan sent me your blog to read and I must say...Wow! Alayna is such an inspiration! She is an absolute doll! She is an angel and I love love love all of the pictures of her! What a sweetie! I have been reading your blog for well over an hour and have been moved to tears and then many smiles! You are a wonderful family and Angie, a wonderful mother! Alayna will read this blog someday and just love it! What a gift to her! I just wanted to say hello and thank you for sharing your story. It is truly a beautiful story and I look forward to keeping up on your postings!

Blessings,
Amy (Robinson) Smith
Bettendorf IA

Anonymous said...

Angie,
As I'm reading the blog today, tears are pouring down my cheeks. Not tears of sadness, but tears of joy knowing how far Alayna has come since a year ago. I remember getting the phone call at work 1 year ago and too being completely shocked, and almost speechless as to what words to use to comfort you. She truly is an angel sent from God and I love her so unconditionally I can't even explain it. Her face brings a smile to my face everyday that I see it....she is a teacher to all of us. Not only is Alayna an inspiration to me, but you are as well! Your stength is amazing and I only hope that I can be as strong as you. I love you all and will always be there for all of you.

Angie said...

Amy,

Nice to meet you. I love how Alayna's story is spread all over! That's what makes it special. And I thank you from the bottom of my heart for all of your kind words and for you taking the time to learn about her.

Annette,

I love you too and you are always there for me. And you know I may seem like an "inspiration" but we are always as strong as we need to be. I know you'd do the same thing and step up and take the challenge. So, I'm not anything any more special than you and all of the other loving moms out there.

Nate said...

Hi Angie, Dana and family,

I think this is your most touching post ever! And I read them all, by the way. Melanie and I don't remember the exact date of Whitney's diagnosis, but the way we felt was just the same.

It's fun to look back and see how far you've come. You guys are doing so well. And there are so many more exciting things coming. It won't be long before Alayna is telling you how much she loves you and bringing you crafts she made at school!

These special little ones we have always exceed expectations set for them!

Whit and Melanie say hello!

Nate

Anonymous said...

Angie,

I check Alayna's blog daily and I continue to be impressed and excited at her progress. She is such a beautiful child, she has the face of an angel. I believe that she is a blessing from God and I am so moved by how many people's lives little Alayna has touched. However, not only is Alayna an inspiration to me, you are as well Angie. Your strength, and positive outlook are a true testament to your faith in the Lord. May God continue to bless you and your entire family.

I love you,

Amy Gaul

Kajsa Farnsworth said...

Angie,
This is such a touching post. I also remember my diagnosis phone call as if it were yesterday and I can relate to your feelings of heartbreak. I also preferred staying at home for awhile. Whenever we visited friends with typically developing babies I would fight back the tears during the visit and then cry and cry in the car all the way home.

Thank you for sharing your story and being so honest about your feelings. It's nice to know there are others out there who can share and relate. I don't know what I would have done without Nate's blog that day I got the phone call. Now you are likely helping other families too!

Angie said...

Nate,

You are so right about our little ones meeting expectations. I know we are in for a lot of surprises in the future. I'm looking forward to them. Not a day goes by that I don't think of you guys in Utah.

Amy,

We miss you and knowing how much support I have with my own family means the world to me. It isn't easy sometimes and knowing that I have you standing in my corner helps! We send XXX and OOO to Kansas City.

Kajsa,

I know the feeling about crying when you see other "typical" developing kids the same age. It's still tough for me at times and I'm not sure that feeling will ever completely go away. It's probably in our nature as parents to wonder "what if"? And unfortunately I think it will become even more challenging as Alayna gets older and it gets closer to making decisions about school. But we are in this together and it's going to be okay!

Thank you everyone for your kind words. They are very touching.

Kajsa Farnsworth said...

Angie,
I put a link to your blog on our family blog under a "1p36 family" list. Is this okay? I just wanted to double check because our blog is public.

Anonymous said...

Dear Angie, Dana, Lexi, Drake, Douglas, and Alayna:

You all are an inspiration and blessing. What a wonderful post Angie. Know that you all are doing such a wonderful job raising your precious angel Alayna. We wish you all the best and look forward to hearing about all of Alayna's new milestones she reaches!!

Love,
Meg, Bill, Alayna & Alexa

Kajsa Farnsworth said...

Hi again,
You asked how old Brady is - he will be three this July. Time flies so fast! How old is Alayna?

Angie said...

Wow, he looks so strong and looks to be doing so well, especially walking. I was going to guess him to be around 3! Alayna will be 15 months on April 29th. And you're right, time does fly by fast. We plan on going to Boston, so hopefully we will meet face to face!