January 29, 2007: Alayna was born at 7:03 pm, 6 lbs 2.8 oz, 18 inches
Look at her now! One year later: almost 20 lbs and such a big girl!
Playing at her highchair with a few of her new birthday toys.
Such a sweet girl.....so easy going.... and always happy! We love you Alayna!
In the bathtub! Like my crazy, helmet hair?
I like my baths!
Baths sometimes relax her so much that she falls asleep before she leaves the bed. I usually dress her and help the other kids while she kicks on the bed.....well, she fell fast asleep in no time! Her party the day before wore her out!One year ago today was another joyous day in the DeKeyrel household. We had a new addition to the family. Alayna Kay, born at 7:03 pm, weighed in at a tiny 6 lbs 2 oz. It was one of the happiest days of our lives, but at the same time remembering the events of that evening makes me a little anxious. It was the most gut-wrenching, heart-breaking nights I've ever experienced. I was thinking about it last night while laying in bed ready to go to sleep. And literally, I found myself having difficulties breathing. It was a year ago, but the memories seem so etched in my mind and are still so vivid. I can remember the nurse coming into my room at 11:30 pm without Alayna and I didn't even have to ask. I had been wondering where Alayna was and I knew something was wrong by the look on the nurse's face. I waited to call Dana, my mom, or anyone else until 6 am the next morning and instead decided to spend the remainder of the evening and early morning hours by her side in the NICU. I couldn't sleep. Are you kidding!
It's the weirdest feeling having a baby and being so excited one minute and then having your world turned upside and inside out the next and having the lowest of low feelings ever. This wasn't my plan and I had a difficult time accepting it. But you know what? We made it through and I give thanks to God for that, to all the medical professionals who've taken care of Alayna, and to all of you who supported us every step of the way. I can't believe that she is one year old. In a way it has gone by fast, but when I think of everything she has been through, it's been a long year too.
It's the weirdest feeling having a baby and being so excited one minute and then having your world turned upside and inside out the next and having the lowest of low feelings ever. This wasn't my plan and I had a difficult time accepting it. But you know what? We made it through and I give thanks to God for that, to all the medical professionals who've taken care of Alayna, and to all of you who supported us every step of the way. I can't believe that she is one year old. In a way it has gone by fast, but when I think of everything she has been through, it's been a long year too.
In those early days, Alayna battled keeping her oxygen levels constant. She had difficulty sucking, breathing and swallowing all at the same time. Feedings were such a challenge. Nursing was stressful. She had an ASD and a VSD in her heart. She slept the most I've ever seen a baby sleep. She wouldn't even wake to eat. She would sneeze when she saw bright lights and this would trigger the "gag" reflex and she'd literally throw up. Alayna still doesn't cry and has the highest pain tolerance of anyone I've ever met. She has battled a UTI and spent 5 days in Peoria, gone through multiple x-rays, has had an MRI, EEG, and cardiogram, has had an ambulance and helicopter ride, spent 14 days in Iowa City, has had tubes in her ears, and has had multiple ABR hearing tests. Whew! Not to mention the tons of pokes by the needles and IV's, multiple doctor evaluations and assessments, continuous therapy sessions, and her new helmet. She has come a long, long way though. She is eating fine, she is staying healthy, she is growing stronger, and she is absolutely the biggest blessing in our lives.
Alayna has touched so many people and to me that is amazing. Who would ever imagine such a tiny little life would have such a profound affect on everyone? Changing the way people think, making them see the world in a slightly different way, making them appreciate the gifts that they have received from God, and realizing that differences are what make us unique. I could go on and on. I speak from my heart when I say these words. I think about January 29, 2007 and realize that it could've just been an ordinary day like most others. But it wasn't. God had plans to make it an extraordinary day by giving all of us Alayna. He sent her specifically to Dana and I and our family, but he sent her to all of you too. If you are reading this blog, you've been touched by her presence. Even if you have never met her in person, you've read about her and probably feel like you have. I'm honored to be Alayna's mom and I think she's one neat kid. I look forward to her teaching me more in this next year. Alayna needed help blowing out her birthday candle this year and I helped her make a wish. I wish for her to be healthy, continue to grow and progress, and enjoy life each and every day. Most of all, I just want her to be happy. As her mom, I look forward to witnessing her development and seeing what kind of person God intended her to be.
Dear Alayna, happy 1st birthday sweetheart. We love you so much. I've never seen your siblings as compassionate as they are today. You've touched them in a way that is difficult to describe with words. Just know you've permanently etched your name on all of our hearts and you've got our attention. I still believe that you were sent to us to teach us something. May God continue to watch over you and bless you.



5 comments:
Happy Birthday Alayna! Congratulations on your first year! We look forward to many more as we all learn and grow together in our -1p36 family. You have touched all of us.
Looks like Alayna is starting to grin quite a bit more in her pictures too. God bless you all with strength and happiness in your home!
-Nate and the rest of the Hanson family.
Alayna,
We so enjoyed your birthday party. You are so beautiful. Not only is your family lucky to have you. You will someday say how lucky you are to have your brothers and sister, Mom and Dad.
God Bless,
Bella
Happy 1st Birthday Alayna!! What a cute smile you have.
Chrystal Weller
It was such a joy to see you, Dana, and Alayna today! I am so happy to feel like part of your family for a little bit. I can tell by the tone of your voice how proud you are to be her mom and how much of an good impact she has had on your life! You and Dana are great parents and I will be more than willing to be your "oldest daughter" anytime you need someone to talk to while you are in Iowa City! I enjoyed my time and I left you guys very inspired!
Happy Birthday 1st Birthday Alayna and if Mom and Dad ever need a night out when I am on breaks from school, I would be overjoyed to come babysit. Hehe!
Arika, it was so good to see you too. I was just saying to Dana that I'd adopt you and take you home! I knew you were a special person the minute I met you and saw that sparkle in your eye. You are a very compassionate, smart girl that I know your family is proud of! You will be a great teacher to those little kids someday. Congrats on the acceptance to the College of Educ. You are almost there and it will all be worth it. And I'd be more than happy to have you come babysit. I know you're a pro! Take care and keep in touch.
Post a Comment