" Wearing my helmet and my pink suit from the Ehm's!"
Here is her new hat. It is borrowed from Lexi!
" I love bouncing this bouncy seat! I kick and kick and it bounces and bounces!"
Looking up at Drake!
I plan to take pictures of her head every month and show the results. You can see how flat it is. She has severe plagiocephaly because it is bilateral (on both sides).
Top view of her head. She'll appreciate this someday when she has a beautiful round head. I can't wait.Last Thursday I had to run Alayna into see Lenny (the helmet guy). She was having some redness of the back of her head behind her ears that wouldn't fade away. He shaved some of the helmet away in the inside and so far, she is getting better. It is still a bit red, so we'll probably be going back by Tuesday. I think this may be a constant thing until it gets just the right fit. Oh, and it is like a cast. Today I noticed it's beginning to have its own smell. That's why we have to clean it every single night. I'm sure we'll be ready to set it on a post and burn it in the front yard when it's all over with!
Alayna saw Dr. Horwitz, her genetic doctor today in Peoria. He was very pleased with her weight and head circumference being right on track. She's just a little shorty pants, so we have to work on the height thing. He was happy to see her progressing developmentally. I actually think Alayna surprised him a bit. Dana and I decided to move all of her appointments to University of Iowa, so we signed a medical records release form and told them we appreciated all of their help and assistance. I wanted to share with you too that I was unaware that Dr. Lisa Shaffer (the doctor that spoke to us in Florida that studies 1p36 kids) was the doctor that diagnosed Alayna. Alayna's test was sent to Signature Genomics and she is the one that did it. Wow! That means Alayna's information is already with Dr. Shaffer and she is in the study. I wonder if she could pass on some more actual details about the results? I may email her and I'll keep you posted.
Alayna also went to see Dr. Vahey at the Eye Center. They dilated her eyes which takes 30 minutes and I think all of us were about asleep in the waiting room. At least Alayna was! Everything checked out good and there is no structural damage or need for eye wear at all. This really is the area that I am not too concerned about. I know Alayna can see. Her delays are more neurological, therefore affecting every facet of her being.
Tubes & Helmet Adjustment Period
Her tubes in her ears seem to be fine. I just need to get the hang of putting in the cotton balls at bath time. There is definitely a strategy to getting them to stay in her tiny ears.
She is adjusting well to the helmet, but really enjoys that hour that we take it off each night. She loves her head to be scratched. I can only imagine how it can itch. And I'm enjoying that hour more than ever before too. I miss being able to hold her and feel her face against mine. It is hard to kiss her too. I often smack myself in the nose or eye with the helmet. Cuddling is difficult and kind of awkward. I'm sure we'll adjust though just like we always do. It too will become "natural." We do get some looks and stares when we are out in public. I think some people are afraid to ask why she is wearing it. I like to watch people's reactions. I'm sure many are just interested like I would be too. We had to graduate to a pink hat of Lexi's. It was the only one we could find that would fit over the helmet and it fits perfectly. And as you can see, we applied stickers to decorate it. I bought kinds for every holiday. Birthday stickers are coming next!
Experimenting with Food
Alayna still eats her veggies and fruits pretty well. Some nights she just isn't as hungry as others. And she has her favorites too. Anyway, I wanted to try and introduce some texture and see how she'd react since she is going to be 1. So, I opted for the biter biscuits. You know, those hard things that make a complete mess. I refused to use them with my other kids, but we're on uncharted territory and I'm willing to try anything! I had to hold it for her most of the time, but she did suck on it for awhile and got to taste it. Her funny faces made us laugh and when I was done Douglas wanted to know where her hard bone went? I laughed again! I said "Douglas, do you think she's a dog?" And then he laughed.
More Therapy!
Last Thursday, Patti, Alayna's babysitter took her to Comprehensive Rehab in Muscatine for an OT and PT evaluation. Dana and I truly want what is best for Alayna and want to provide her with every opportunity we possibly can. This is another therapy center that is closer to our home and fortunately our insurance will help with the cost. She can have unlimited visits based on our plan and her medical need. Yeah! Alayna will continue to go to the CTC in Moline twice a month in addition to Comp.Rehab. It will be interesting to see both places techniques as I'm sure there may be a difference of opinions (so to speak). Dana and I have been very pleased with the CTC and their knowledgeable staff. They are great up there and they care about Alayna. But right now is a good time to add a bit more and bump it up a notch. And the bonus is that Patti is willing to take her. We are so fortunate to have her and we thank her from the bottom of our hearts. We love you Patti and this would not be possible without you! The plan is to go for both OT and PT two times a week. She will go for the first time next Tuesday and then begin on Monday's and Wednesday's the week after. The time slots are locked in, so we will be experimenting with what time seems to work best for Alayna. She still gets tired very easily and naps frequently. Her schedule is a little unpredictable lately. Oh, and one of my former Westmer students is the director over there. I can't wait to see her! She was a smart cookie then, so I'm sure she has excelled in her career as an OT. I'll keep you posted on how it is going.
Again, thanks for reading Alayna's blog. Her birthday is coming up and I was thinking what would be a good present? Well, we plan on getting her a bean bag to sit in, but you know the love that everyone gives Alayna is the best birthday present she could ask for.



9 comments:
I love how you decorated Alayna's helmet -- it looks really cute. It's unfortunate that she has to wear the helmet, but it's worth the end result. She is definitely a special little girl! Hugs and kisses to Alayna!!!
Angie,
I don't even know how to begin this post. As I read the latest update on Alayna, I couldn't help but well up with tears. I am SO proud of all of you! You have embraced your new "normal" and love Alayna for everything that she is, which, I believe, is much more than most of us ever strive to be. This little angel has shown you the miracles of life and development in a way that you have never imagined. I don't know about you, but I found the process of development absolutely fascinating after watching Nate work so hard to achieve what comes so easy to many of us.
I believe that our special needs children teach us to live as we were meant to....with patience and acceptance for all human beings, regardless of their abilities. I believe that they teach us to "stop and smell the flowers" that we so often take for granted.
What a blessing you have been given and what a blessing you are to everyone who has been touched by the wonders of Alayna.
We love you and are so very proud of you!
Michelle, Ryan, Connor, Kellen and
Our Angel ^Nate^
Michelle, I thank you for your kind words. I'll keep it simple and just say that you are part of that inspiration that keeps me going. I've learned a lot by listening and talking to you. I know how much you and your family loved Nate and were touched by his presence. You are a model mom! God bless.
I also read this latest blog and just sobbed. As I reflect on this past year, I realize how much our family has grown. Alayna has taught us so much - to love one another, accept one another, support one another. I know that she has influenced each and every one of us in a way that is hard to describe in words. I am so proud of you and Dana - you are so strong and positive. You are exactly right, "She is our normal." I am so proud to be her Auntie...she brings such joy to my life as if she were my own daughter. And, I am so proud to have a sister like you, Angie. You speak from your heart and we cannot thank you enough for sharing your thoughts. I love you all. Hugs and kisses to each of you!
Hi Angie,
What a beautiful posting. Alayna looks like such a doll :) She is just beautiful. You all are doing such a great job! I love the stickers on her helmet :)
Take care and God bless,
Meg, Bill, Alayna & Alexa
Thanks Meg. We need to have you guys out sometime very soon. We haven't seen you for sooooo long. I'll work on that!
Angie (that feels so weird to say),
I too was basically sobbing after just the first couple sentences of this blog. I remember Jim telling us at one of Jake and Drake's basketball games that little Alayna was born. I was so happy for you and of course I still am! I can tell that Alayna is a little inspiration in your lives just like you are as a teacher! I look up to you as an individual, a teacher, and a mother. I don't know how you do it, but you continue to stay strong through everything! Remember... if you are ever up in Iowa City for an appointment, be sure to let me know, so I can see the little one!
Arika
PS- The helmet is adorable. Before long she will have a perfect little head with a whole bunch of that already curly hair!
Thanks for such kind words Arika. You are a sweetie. We are actually going to be in Iowa City next Wed, Jan 30th for an ABR (hearing test). Our appt is at 1pm and the ABR is at 2pm. Maybe we could meet up? Send me an email at angela.dekeyrel@yahoo.com and I can pass on locations,etc.
I think she is doing great.
Post a Comment