Thursday, October 11, 2007

An Alayna Update!


8 months - taken at JCPenney Studio.
She wanted to smile at mom, not the camera.




Smiling at Douglas!

Hanging out with Douglas some more!

"Whatcha doing over there mom?"

My brother, Douglas, just can't leave me alone!

More Doug hugs! Be gentle Douglas...he forgets!

The clan is heading to Sunday school.

Wearing my pretty sun dress.

Sitting propped up on the couch.

If any of you ever need a little one to cuddle with, just call and ask to see Alayna! She is such a cuddler. I love holding her. I obviously miss her lots during the school day and she gets so many hugs after school from everyone (especially Douglas). I know some of this is because she doesn't have a lot of upper body strength so she just buries herself into you, but it's still nice and I plan on savoring the moments. I think I'll call it "keep your baby longer syndrome" and not 1p36 anymore.

Alayna is doing well. I've noticed her a few times looking quite inquisitively at her feet. I try and get her to reach out and touch them. She usually smiles and is probably wondering what the heck I'm doing. We went to the CTC on Monday and her therapist was happy to see that she seems to be taking more initiative to try and roll. She still isn't doing it on her own, but with a little help she tries to use her strength and wiggle over. Endurance is still an issue and will probably be for her whole life. I'm sure it will get better, but stamina to do these activities and therapy is lacking a bit. We just have to give her rest time.

I have a good college/sorority friend that has been in the Special Education field for 12 years. She is very knowledgeable about signing and hearing and her input has been so helpful. She informed me that MR or mentally retarded is not the correct terminology anymore. It is now referred to as "cognitively delayed" which sounds so much better. It doesn' t carry that negative connotation with it. Truly that is really what it means. So, I guess some experts in the field aren't so up with their terminology. It could be because they are "old school." Thanks friend for the correction and input!

Alayna has been battling yet another cold. She has had red, watery eyes, sneezing and a stuffy nose since Tuesday. I'm wondering if it is teeth or just a cold. Nothing poking through the gums right now, but they are a bit red. We'll head to the pediatrician tomorrow after work just to make sure things check out okay. Douglas and her are going to their Aunt Danette's and Uncle Gary's for Saturday and Sunday. I'd hate to give them a sick girl!

On a cute note, Alayna finally fits into a pair of shoes! She has such tiny feet. I'm not exaggerating at all. She can fit into a size 0 and size 1! Those are sizes most 0-3 month children can wear. One of the pairs is Alexis's old pink tennis shoes and she wore them around 4 months old. I'm glad we can use them because she needs warm feet with all this cold weather lately.

Dana, Alayna and myself leave 3 weeks from today for Florida. I'm so excited about this 1p36 conference and I know I've told you that before. In a week from Monday, we'll head to the plastic surgeon in Peoria for an evaluation about getting a helmet for her head. I'll keep you posted on both.

I can honestly say that I never imagined my life to be as comfortable as it is right now. In the beginning of this journey I was terrified, anxious, ignorant, angry, and in a whirlwind. As a matter of fact, I don't think it would be wrong for me to say that my entire family was. It has all settled and our family is accepting and embracing each day together. It is comfortable and normal...finally. Live each day as it were your last.







8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures! Alayna is so happy and you can see that in every photo. Angie you are a fantastic Mom! I can't believe how Lexi and Drake are growing. Great family photo heading to Sunday School. Grandpa and I can't wait for Lexi, Drake and Douglas to spend the weekend. I think we'll have Audrey and Will come stay, too.

Anonymous said...

What beautiful children! I can't believe how they are growing up. Douglas is such a big boy, riding that bus every day to preschool, and we can finally relax a little bit as he shows his affection for Alayna. Lexi is such a great help and such a good student, and Drake is such a hard worker. He helped Grandma and Grandpa clean our garage last weekend and made a few bucks cashing in the pop cans. We all love our dear Alayna and do cherish the time we spend together. We are a very lucky family. Keep up the good work Angie and Dana!

Anonymous said...

Great pictures, Angie. It's so much fun to see your little darlings! They are all growing so fast! Thanks for letting us share your thoughts and feelings through this blog. I love getting "caught up" with Alayna's progress. You are, indeed, a remarkable person and your family is truly a blessing to so many.
God bless,
Barb

Anonymous said...

Wow, Angie. I love reading the blog and keeping up on Alyana's progress. I feel bad we don't get to talk more at school but things have really been busy. Please know that our thoughts and prayers are always with you. You and Dana are very special and so is your family!!!

Anonymous said...

Angie...I just look so forward to reading all your updates on Alayna. She is the most adorable baby girl ever and always dressed so darling!

It's is so heartwarming to read about her milestones. It certainly makes one realize how precious each day and life is and to enjoy it. You are a very special person and a very special mom Angie.

Thanks for all your updates! I will continue to keep you all in my prayers.

Annie Jerzyk

Anonymous said...

I love Alayna's new pictures and I just think she looks absolutely adorable in that blue floral sundress with her hair all spiffed up. She brings such joy to all of us. Angie, I know I spoke to you about something I read the other day, and I want to share it with everyone. It read as follows: Sometimes we must accept life on its terms, not our own. Life has a way of unfolding not as we will, but as it will. And somtimes there is precious little we can do to change things. When events transpire that are beyond our control, we have a choice: we can either learn the art of acceptance, or we can make ourselves miserable as we struggle to change the unchangeable. We must entrust the things we cannot change to God. Once we have done so, we can prayerfully and faithfully tackle the important work He has placed before us: doing something about the things we can change...and doing it now. Isn't that the truth?? Wow, what a powerful statement. I love you all so much I can't even explain in words, and am ALWAYS here for you all.

Anonymous said...

I so enjoy seeing Alayna, Alexis, Drake and Douglas through this blog as you record Alayna's growing and her beauty. I love how the children do not treat Alayna any differently than any other child. We, as adults, should take the lesson from that.

Anonymous said...

Hi mom.That smile in the last picture brings comfort to my life of Alayna.Douglas and Alayna together in that one picture look so cute.Every time I'm with Alayna it seems like I can't leave her!At school sometimes I feel that Alayna is there with me.I can't stop thinking about her!Anyways I love that little sparkle with all my heart!I guess I should go.
Love big sister,Alexis