Happy girl playing with a toy.
Getting pretty for my sister and two brother's birthday party!
At Easter dinner. You ask "Why do you have your hands in your mouth Miss Alayna?" She says, "because I'm still working on the top 2 year molars."
Alayna is going to begin Motion Therapy at New Kingdom Trailriders in May. Our goal is to help her increase her trunk strength and hopefully find an activity that she will grow to love. This was her night for orientation. It didn't go as well as planned due to not napping after a long day at school. Hopefully the next session will go better.
Taking a nap at Easter dinner. Oh they are so sweet when they are asleep! All babies are!!
Big brother Drake wanted his picture with Alayna. Happy 10th Birthday Drake! And yes, it is April and we are wearing Christmas pj's. Oh well, whatever is clean and fits works for me!
Posing with big sister Alexis. Happy 12th Birthday Alexis!
Alayna getting a bit silly with Lexi! I think she is getting tired and she tends to get giggly. Okay, or she cries alot. It's one or the other usually!
Yum, maybe this steering wheel will fit in my mouth?!
Dressed and ready for school. Waiting to eat my daily bowl of oatmeal!
This was one of the last few days she was allowed to have a pacifier.
Let's go mom, I'm hungry!
Sweet little face. And you can see that she even eats the paper off of her hard books and toys. See the page? It's missing part of the sticker. She sucks or chews on just about anything.
More hand in the mouth.S.K.I.P Update
Alayna has been attending SKIP Preschool since February 1st. She gets on the school bus with her aide at the high school where I work at 7:45am and gets dropped back off at 2:25pm. One of the goals on her IEP is to get Alayna to respond positively to 70% of the school day. That has been the biggest challenge for her. She typically has a great morning and then a not so good afternoon or vice versa. To help meet this goal, Alayna has qualified for ESY (Extended School Year) and will be attending from June 7th through early July every day from 8:30-11:30 am. She gets her PT, Speech, OT, and adaptive PE right at school.
Overall, I am extremely pleased with how she has adapted. The bus ride is becoming the enjoyment of the day. She loves the lift and smiles every time she gets raised up on it. In addition, she is so comfortable now with her KidKart that we use it when we go to other events like ball games. She eats lunch right in the classroom with her other 6 classmates. Which by the way are all non-verbal and have KidKarts or other kinds of "transportation." They are so cute! The class has a Magic Bullet and the school caters a "soft" lunch for all of the kids. Some of the things I probably wouldn't consider "soft" so mashed potatoes are made every day and on hand just in case. But the teachers will put nearly everything that is served in the Bullet. Alayna has eated a hot dog, pepperoni pizza, chicken nuggets, and noodles. I'm not sure it would look too appetizing to us, but hey if she likes the taste that is wonderful! The teachers comment on how well she likes "flavorful" food. I love the daily communication of writing notes back and forth in her notebook that is kept in her bag.
Brace Issue
About 3 weeks ago after her AFO brace was taken off of her right foot, a huge blister, swollen looking thing appeared on the inside of her ankle. She was sensitive to the touch. I thought for a second that her ankle looked broken, but it wasn't. It looked like someone had injected fluid right under the skin. I took her to her orthosist and also had her PT look at it the next day. To make a long story short, she had developed what is called a bursa. It is a fluid-filled sack caused by friction on her brace. Her orthosist made some adjustments to the brace, put a little padding in it, and advised us to leave the brace off a couple more days. So, a week later I thought I'd give the brace another try. Well, the bursa immediately formed in just one day of wearing it to school. So, back to the orthosist we went and we decided to make an appointment with her ankle/foot doctor at the ORA. Dr. Peyvich saw Alayna yesterday and said she had no deformities and that he thinks she needs a different type of brace. I was so thankful because I thought that her tibia might have been out of place and that she would need to be serial casted. Our next step is to return to the orthosist and get casted for a new brace for at least the right foot. I'd prefer to do both, so we'll see what he says. This will be set #3 for AFO's! UGH.
Bye, Bye Paci
Alayna had to finally give up the much loved and adored pacifier. She seriously began "eating" them. Due to teething, she would take it and bite on the nipple and not really use it for sucking purposes at all. She would bite through the nipple so bad that I could honestly just about pull off the end of it in one huge piece. Choking hazard! I was going through 2 pacifiers a week and was completely sick of that expense! Plus I was afraid she'd swallow it. Her SKIP Preschool gave her a textured triangle to replace the pacifier. I attached it onto one of her pacifier holders and we've been working on holding it and using it instead of putting her hands in her mouth. Her hands and fingers are getting better and healing, but about 2 weeks ago she had them so calloused and cracked.
Behavior Issues
Alayna gives us daily challenges in the behavior category. Honestly, her Disney World is here at her house. If we attempt to take her for example to a ball game or a restaurant we are more than likely going to pay a very high price. She may last for a short time, but can turn on a dime. And when she throws one of her fits, watch out! She screams, cries, holds her eyes shut tight, bites at her hands, and basically goes crazy. These fits can last up to 20-25 minutes usually and then about 80% of the time she'll snap out of it and act like nothing happened at all. Can we say DUAL PERSONALITY! I had the lovely opportunity to witness one last night right in the middle of the doctors office. I had to put myself in the zone that I was the only one in the office, ignore her, for a minute tried to pretend she wasn't really mine, and go about filling out the paperwork I had to do. And then about 15 minutes later she was fine. It happens most often when she is tired and she has not discovered a good way to soothe herself into a nice little nap. It's frustrating as heck! Most of the time I resort to keeping her home due to the fact that I'm wore out and not in the mood for one of these occurences to happen. So, does anyone else in my 1p36 family feel prisoner to their own 4 walls of their house?
New Bedroom
It has been decided that Alayna needs her own bedroom. My intention was to have her and Alexis share a room. However, as parents of special needs children know, that is probably not the most ideal situation due to sleep distruptions, crying, getting sick, etc. So, our dining room is in the process of becoming Alayna's new bedroom. We had it painted just yesterday and now we are on to getting french doors made for privacy. Then we'll get some furniture in there, a bed of some kind, and new bedding and curtains to finish the look. I'd like it to be completed in less than 4 weeks before summer break starts! Oh, and the chandelier needs to be changed to a ceiling fan. That may look a bit funny in a bedroom. The only bad thing is that she won't have a closet, but we can use drawers and borrow space in Lexi's closet if needed. We are all excited to get her a space of her own. Especially for those most trying, stressful times when she just needs to be left alone!
PT, OT, Speech Accomplishments
I wish I had more to say in these areas. Alayna still has no will to want to get on all fours, crawl, use her arms to move, etc. Weight-bearing is still a major task. I can't wait for the day that she begins to move around the house. She is too content on being in one spot! But, people who haven't seen her for awhile say how much of an improvement they see with her. I think she has definitely come along in how she focuses on things and how attentive she can be. She pays more attention to the detail in things and watches us more often. I think that is what they are referring to. She has started to "rock" herself on the floor and try to sit up that way. Silly girl, use your arms to help you get up! As far as the eating goes, we have no problem in that area at all and she loves her sippy cup of milk.
Neurology Update
Alayna went to Iowa City for a check-up. She has been seizure free for over 1 year now! And because she is on the lowest dosage possible of phenobarbital for her size, the doctor recommended to keep her on it for 1 more year. If at that time, she has been seizure free still, she will begin to wean her off of the medication. I keep my fingers crossed. The only upcoming doctor appointment that I can remember off hand is in Peoria with her developmental pediatrician, Dr. Morgan and it is in July.
Salt Lake City, Utah - July 29th-Aug 1st
Dana and I will be taking Alayna to SLC, Utah for the annual 1p36 Deletion Support & Awareness Conference. We are truly looking forward to seeing familiar faces and meeting the new ones that are from out West. We've never been to the mountains out there either, so we are excited to see Utah. It will be a quick trip, but one that is near and dear to our hearts. We will make every attempt possible to make it to this wonderful, annual meeting every single year. Those people are part of our family and the connection that we have with each other is unexplainable. We support each other in many facets and talk nearly daily on Facebook.
Blogging
I apologize for the lack of blogging lately. Our lives are very busy, filled with many activities every single night. And now that ball season is in full swing, we are even more overwhelmed with running. In addition, I thank you all for the support you have shown and expressed for Drake during his battle with MRSA. The MRSA seems to be gone, however, he is not fully recovered physically, but is continuing with PT. In about 5 weeks, the doctors will make the decision whether to go forward with another surgery or keep with PT. I'll keep you posted.
Taking care of a family and becoming a parent is the most rewarding experience ever, yet the most exhausting too. And having a child with special needs requires full-time care, attentiveness, patience, and endless love. It isn't easy sometimes and I am glad for my supportive 1p36 family because they live the life that I do every single day. I'm not alone. That thought provides me with enough "peace" to take on the next day.



8 comments:
Thanks you for updating us. I love reading your posts and always look forward to the next one. You always speak from your heart which I truly admire the most. I can defintely relate to you and it's a great feeling knowing that I'm not all alone in this. I'm glad Alayna is doing great in school. She's getting so big and so darned cute! We will continue to pray that Drake fully recovers and don't need any addititional surgeries. I can't wait to see you guys in Salt Lake City. I know it will be a blast! Thanks again for sharing your blog. God bless your family!
Sherry Culvahouse (mom of Kaylee 21mo/1p36 & Allison 6 yrs old)
I know what it is like to be a prisoner in your own home and it was very difficult for me and still is to leave Kylee home and do other activites as a family without her but she is the happiest when she is home. We are doing a waterpark hotel in a few weeks and it breaks my heart to think about leaving her behind but I think it would be best for all.
Kylee still does not like to get on all four either. She screams when they try and she tries very hard to sit herself up but also does not use her hands. They always say she has abs of steel because she can do a sit up almost all the way up. I love the motion therapy. We so want to get Kylee into some kind of horse therapy but we don't have any near by. It looks so fun.
Angie...you are a great mom...you have a lot on your plate and you handle it all very well.
We think of you often. Hugs from the McGlin's.
Love the new pictures and the update regarding school and horse therapy. Hopefully Alayna's schedule will allow her to enjoy the horse therapy sessions. Angie, you amaze me and your Dad on how well you handle the daily responsibilities. It's hard enough to raise children and work a fulltime job, but to add a very sweet special needs child to the equation makes it more challenging and difficult. You are a strong and devoted Mother and do an outstanding job! Have a Happy Mother's Day as you deserve to be recognized as one OUTSTANDING Mom!
Love,
Grandma Diana
Angie,
Love the new pictures and how Alayna has grown. Wonderful to see how she is doing in school.
I cannot say I know what you are going through, but I can see a strong young woman in you.
The following is a quote gleaned from another young mother's blog with major life struggles going on in her life:
“Shattered dreams open the door to better dreams….Shattered dreams destroy false expectations, such as the “victorious” Christian life with no real struggle or failure. They help us discover true hope. We need the help of shattered dreams to put us in touch with what we most long for, to create an appetite for better dreams. And living for the better dream generates a new, unfamiliar feeling that we eventually recognize as joy.
Our pain will always have a purpose….It will stir an appetite for a higher purpose–the better hope of knowing God well enough now to love him above everything else….and trusting him no matter what happens.”
(Larry Crabb)
Love and prayer for you and your sweet family, Aunt "Bella" Linda
I agree with the other comments. Alayna is really growing up. Hope things continue to go better for you guys. We're looking forward to seeing you here in Salt Lake in a couple months!
Angie it sounds like you have alot going on right now. I really admire all that you do. Alayna reminds me so much of Jaylyn (19 months)in many ways she does not want to crawl at all hates to get on all fours. She also loves to put her hands in her mouth and eat paper.
Alayna is coming along ways is amazing. I love reading you post.
Marisela-mom to Jaylyn (1p36)
Prisoner in my own house? Yes, yes, yes! I know exactly what that is like. Just yesterday, Gavin and I were sitting on the back deck (the respite worker was inside with Zoe) and I said, "I feel like I can barely handle being outside anymore since we had Zoe. The sun is so bright, everything is so loud, the breeze is so chilly. My body is just not used to being outside anymore." I remember how we couldn't even open the curtains most days in the first two years because Zoe was so sensitive to brightness from the sun coming in. Sigh, so yes, I know what that feels like. And I feel for you and your family.
Alayna is getting so big! Zoe too still refuses put any weight on her arms. If you lay her face down, she puts her arms on her back in the most uncomfortable looking position and then uses her back muscles to arch her face away from the floor so she can flip. So, yup I guess that is just how our kids learn to move in this world.
I am so excited that you will be in Salt Lake. As it gets closer I find myself really looking forward to the opportunity to connect with the other 1p families. There is something special about looking into the eyes of another parent who knows exactly what my life is like at times.
Thanks for the update- we think of you often. But I know how busy life gets and how hard it is at times to keep up.
Hi Angie and DeKeyrel Family! Great post Angie! Nice updates! Alayna seems to be doing well and I'm so glad she was able to get into the extended school program! That will be great for her! Man, sounds like you guys are busy! I don't know how you do it! I'm busy runnin to activities with just my 2 girls! You have 4 and 1 with very special needs! You are doing an awesome job and I'm so glad you have your 1p36 family to lean on. You are right, only the people who are 'walking in your shoes' really know what it is like to be you!! Hang in there! God bless all of you and good luck with your crazy busy summer!! Make sure you guys contact us when you come to KC for Lexi's ball tournament!! We are close in that area and would love to see you all and I would love to HELP you with anything that I could! Whether it is staying at our house..you all are welcome to!!! or babysitting or driving or whatever!! :) We have plenty of room in our house for your whole family to stay so let us know!!
Take care,
Meg and her gang
Post a Comment