Monday, February 1, 2010

First BIG Day of Preschool!

Dressed all pretty for her first day of preschool!
Good morning Alayna!

So cute!
"Mom, I'm not sure about this."

All bundled up, snug and tight and unable to move much :( waiting for the school bus.


Alayna getting a bit fussy waiting.

Alayna & Me - And no tears from mom....I had to go teach right after this and that would've been bad! :) Had a few butterflies though.

Chris, Alayna's driver, loading her up on the ramp. At this point, she was more intrigued on what was going on.
Going up and up some more.

Almost there now! Unlocking the brakes so we can back her up.
She's finally in the bus and Chris is doing her tie-downs.
And there is the bus driving away.....:( .....have a good day little Alayna.
Alayna got a new pair of shoes today! I ordered her some Hatchbacks which are awesome to get on with her AFO's. They fit so well I think I'm going to order a black patent leather pair for dressy days. So cute and worth the money!

Today I was actually running ahead of schedule! I didn't want Alayna to be late for her very first bus trip to preschool, so I made sure we were up gettting dressed and fed before 7 am. When we arrived to my classroom I strapped her up in her KidKart, wheeled her down the hall to the door, and patiently waited for the bus. Alayna was a trooper, but as you can see from a few of the photos she was getting restless and irritated. I think just being strapped in the KidKart is a big adjustment for her let alone all of the other parts that goes along with this adventure. I haven't had the chance to talk with her bus aide, but I'm eager to hear how the ride wen

At lunch time I broke down and called the preschool to check on her. I just need affirmation that she was doing okay. It's hard to imagine that she was out in the world without anyone that she really knew. The secretary was so nice and she got Ms. Renee, Alayna's teacher, on the phone. Alayna was doing pretty good, but of course had her fussy times around her normal nap schedule. Eating lunch was a bit of a challenge too, but she ate 4 bites of pepperoni pizza that they put in the Magic Bullet! Don't tell Alayna, but that just sounds so nasty. She also ate a bowl full of apricots which I've honestly never given to her before. In fact, I don't think I've ever ate apricots! It's going to take some adjustment time for Alayna that is for sure. I just pray it only gets better with each day. I want this to work so badly for her.

Alayna arrived back at my school at 2:30 pm. The issue right now is that I'm not done teaching until 3:10 pm. Patti, Alayna's babysitter, works in the library and will get Alayna as long as she is in the building. However, Alayna got back today and had a major meltdown. It's hard to take care of her in the library. She just wanted out of the KidKart so bad. Patti took her back to her house and she was fine. She ate a snack and was probably relieved to be in familiar surroundings. I appreciate that so much. I'm kind of playing the next few days by ear and see how things go. I'm not sure if I'll have to resort to getting a different drop off spot other than at my school.

What I really like is that we have a notebook in Alayna's book bag that we can correspond back and forth with. That makes it nice since I'm not able to drop her off or pick her up. I can also let Ms. Renee know how Alayna's morning has went. Tomorrow is a new day, so wish her luck again! This new routine is a big step for the both of us.

"God doesn't give children with special needs to strong people; He gives children with special needs to ordinary, weak people and then gives them strength. Raising a child with 1p36 Deletion Syndrome doesn't TAKE a special family, it MAKES a special family." I liked this when I read it and I borrowed it from another 1p36 mom. Well said Kelly.

8 comments:

Mary Foley said...

Angie,
I was so happy to read how Alayna's day went. Like I said on Facebook I have been thinking about you guys all day. I am so happy that is went pretty well, it has to be an adjustment for her and really the whole family. Be strong!!! My prayers are with you!

Alysa said...

Thanks for posting these pictures of Alayna! Congrats on this exciting milestone and please keep blogging about her school days. Sounds like she did pretty well considering all of the change. Go Alayna! Vera starts school next January and I am already nervous!
Alysa (mom to Vera, 1p36)

Anonymous said...

Love the pictures, but a little nervous letting go of our little Alayna. Hopefully she will adjust to school in no time and love learning new things. Cute shoes, too!!!

Love, Grandma Diana

Karen said...

So happy her first day went well. I love the shoes. I am going to have to check them out. Kylee only has one pair that her orthotics fit in and they are not too cute. Love the pictures.

Anonymous said...

Off to a great start, I see! Thanks for sharing this big day with us! I absolutely loved the quote you included at the end of your update. It is so true! I look forward to hearing how Alayna enjoys the days to come!
Chrystal

Genevieve Ross said...

Glad to hear you all made it through that first day :) Eating at school is still a huge issue for Zoe but it has gotten better over time as they have gotten to know her. I hope Alayna loves school as much as Zoe does. It will be good for her to be around other children her age (not that she isn't around other kids at home!) Let us know how it is going.

Unknown said...

Thank you very much for sharing this with us. We have not met but this is a wonderful way to keep up with you and your wonderful family.

John Day (Joy Burns' husband).

Anonymous said...

Very nice pictures, of Alayna's 1st Day of Pre-School!!!! I'm sure she's going to really enjoy it, and adjust eventually.... It is really great to see her accomplishing this milestone. You all must be so proud!!!

Happy Valentine's Day!
Love,
The Galloway's