Wednesday, February 4, 2009

2-Year Doctor Appointment

Alayna sitting pretty (with a new outfit) waiting for her birthday party guests to arrive. The beautiful bouquet of flowers on the table was sent to me at work on her birthday. The card was signed "Thank you mommy for everything you do for me, Love Alayna." It was such a nice surprise. Who doesn't like a flower delivery at work!? I have some wonderful co-workers in the math department that are always looking out for me and this was from one of them. (Thank you Deanna!) It was the perfect centerpiece for the table.

Alayna sitting on the couch getting ready to go to Drake's basketball game. I love this outfit! Thanks Grandma for loving Gymboree!

By "cake time", Alayna was getting tired and had no interest in it. She was more busy with her toys.
Okay, Daddy didn't get the camera focused, but it kind of looks like she was trying to blow out the candle! She was definitely looking at it.

This was taken on her actual birthday. We celebrated as a family by having pizza and cake. They all wanted to eat it and that is how I got them all to cooperate for the picture. Alayna loves it when Lexi holds her and talks to her.

Alayna is now 2 years old, Douglas will be 5 on March 18, Alexis will be 11 on March 30 and Drake will be 9 on April 10th! We celebrate lots of family birthdays from Jan-April!

Kneeling therapy

More practice sitting. Alayna loves that cloth book she is eating. It is from Walmart and makes crackling noises. It's one of her favorites, so we have 3 of them.




Birthday Party


We would like to say "thank you" to those of you who came to Alayna's birthday party. We appreciate the gifts and for helping us celebrate her birthday. It was a special evening. We look forward to the next year and more accomplishments. She has come a long way in one year and I hope we can look back in 2010 and say the same thing.


2 Year Check Up with her Pediatrician


Alayna visited Dr. Neptune for her 2 year check up. She weighs 21 pounds 9 oz and is 31 1/4 inches long. I didn't even ask to see if she fell on the typical growth charts. He seemed pleased with her growth and I am too. She gained 3 pounds of a year and 1 of those was in the last 6 months. Her length increased by almost 2 inches. I just remember that my other three kids weighed this much at 1 year old. Her ears looked fine, tubes looked good, and basically she is healthy. She got her Hepatitis A vaccination and we were out the door. I love those kind of visits.


My only concern that has evolved since this visit is that Alayna is spitting up still every now and then. I plan on putting a call into the doctor to see if she should be put back on Prevacid or if we could possibly get a referral to a GI doctor to see if she has silent reflux. It is a common thing for our kids. Alayna has been off of Prevacid for quite a long time, but since we are now incorporating milk and other foods into her diet, I'm wondering if she needs to be back on it. Sometimes kids have silent reflux and it isn't easy to diagnose. I may pursue having some testing done.


Dermatologist


Friday I will take Alayna to see Dr. Perry, my old dermatologist that I saw in junior high and high school. Oh, that brings back fun memories! I want to see if she has any suggestions for the keratosis pilaris that Alayna has on her legs and arms. I'd love to find something that decreases the appearance of the bumps. I'll let you know what she says. Maybe this information will help others too!


3rd Annual 1p36 Conference


It's official! We are going to the 3rd Annual Conference held this year in Indianapolis, IN from July 31-Aug 2. It is pretty much in our backyard and we wouldn't miss it. Our reservations are made. We plan to take all of our kids and I think both of our parents are also going. Dana and I went two years ago when Alayna was just 9 months old. It was in Florida and we loved the chance to meet other families and see the kids. It is an opportunity that we can not pass up and I want my family to meet these wonderful people to. It just helps heighten awareness and give everyone a better idea of what the future may hold and what to possibly expect with Alayna. And of course while we are there, we'll see the downtown area and plan a family outing on Sunday to the zoo. Can't wait!










10 comments:

Kajsa Farnsworth said...

Happy late Birthday, Alayna! I swear she gets cuter by the day. It's nice to hear that everything went well at her various checkups.
You must be so excited for the Indy conference - it seems to be a shorter trip for a lot of families this year. We are still up in the air as far as our summer travel but we would love to be there.

Angie said...

Oh, I hope you can come!!! We would love to meet you and Brady in person. But I know that is a flight from AZ to IN. Hope all is well in AZ, I'm sure it is warmer than here! How's Brady doing?

Anonymous said...

Alayna, you're adorable! I love your hair in your pony tail! I can't wait to see you again! Keep on smiling, little one, as you bring such joy to all of our lives! I'm so glad to hear the entire family is going to the 1p36 conference this year and that it's so close to home! YEAH! Hugs and kisses...

Karen said...

Please do post after you go to the Dermatologist I would love to hear if they have any tips for you. I think Kylee also has that. She has it on her cheeks and arms.
I love the little bench you have talked about in the last couple of post I am going to have to ask our therapy people about it. I would love to try one out.
No decision on Indy yet. I would love to be there and I feel like that is probably as close as it will ever get to us (about 6-7 hours) but we haven't decided yet. I will have to keep trying to talk my husband into it.

Angie said...

Oh Karen, you have to come to Indy! Please try, we would love to meet you and our experience in Florida was the most rewarding trip. We were soooo glad we went because we learned tons about what to expect and we got to meet lots of the kids. It was time well spent. And we love that bench too. It adjusts up and down and tilts. It is useful to help sit on and to just play on. Plus, it is padded and she doesn't hurt herself if she conks her head.

Debbie said...

Alayna is doing so well. I hope we can see her again in Indy. I bet she's such a big girl!

What can you tell me about kneeling therapy?

Debbie, mom to Jacoby, 2 years

Angie said...

We will be in Indy! I can't tell you much about kneeling. It's just recommended by her PT and OT to help strengthen her back and arms. She absolutely hates to be on all fours on the ground. Right now it seems to be too much of a jump to go down to the ground, so we tend to kneel and have her put her hands on the bench. I lower sometimes too and at least she is working some of those same muscles. Other than that I don't know a whole heck of alot! Take care!

Anonymous said...

We loved the Birthday pictures!!! Alayna is doing so wonderful!! We are so happy that everyone will be able to go to the conference this summer. How much fun you all will have! Alayna will love the zoo!
Take Care!
Love,
The Galloway Family

Arika said...

She is getting so big and so cute! I love all the curly hair and it looks cute in the pony tail! I hope things continue to look up!

Anonymous said...

I am so excited to have found this blog! My little sister has this same condition. She is now 10 years old. Thank you for doing what you're doing.