Kim (PT) practices sitting with Alayna on a slanted bench. Those PT's know so much about alignment and getting Alayna's pelvis in the right position and her rib cage.
Jean (OT) was delighted to see how Alayna is focusing on toys and wanting to reach and get them. She is sporting her shiny pink shorts that help keep her legs together. Sara (Speech) assists with the toy and watches Alayna's use of her hands and fingers. Self-feeding is what we are working for!
More work on sitting with proper alignment and putting her feet flat on the ground.
The PT does alot of stimulation of Alayna's muscles by certain placement of her hands and using pressure. So in this picture it doesn't look like much is happening, but there is!
Alayna loves the variety of their toys. They all have sounds and some have lights.
This is a padded bench the CTC loaned us to practice tall kneeling, sitting, and toy play. It is neat in that its height can be adjusted up and down and can be used for a variety of therapy exercises. Here Alayna just enjoys sitting in the bumbo seat and playing with the toys.Sorry about not posting lately. It's finding the time that is most difficult. Alayna has been to the CTC for therapy two Monday's in a row. She is doing the best she ever has. Yippee!! Not once did she whine or cry or throw a fit. Each time she tolerated it the entire hour and all of her therapists couldn't have been more pleased. And I was thrilled too. We were accomplishing true therapy and it was awesome. We continue to work on sitting, tall kneeling, getting on all fours, and putting her feet flat on the ground. Alayna has come a long way. Literally, there used to be days when I'd walk in the CTC's door, sit her down, say hi to the therapist, and have to leave within minutes because of Alayna's unwillingness to cooperate by having a crying spell. I think 2009 will be her year if she continues to perform like she has these past two sessions. Good things will happen!
Eating
Alayna is now eating only 2 bottles a day, one in the morning and one before bed. Otherwise, she is drinking whole milk from a Nuby sippy cup (bought at Walmart - it is wonderful). Yippee! She has 3 meals a day which consists of the foods she eats pretty good. It can be tough sometimes trying to come up with something different to try and feed her. It has to be soft and not require too much chewing. Otherwise, she pops it right back out of her mouth. Meal time challenges my creativity sometimes. However, we've expanded the menu a bit more to include pancakes, eggs, diced carrots, and pudding. Alayna absolutely loves applesauce and yogurt. She's also taking a liking to maple & brown sugar oatmeal.
Eating
Alayna is now eating only 2 bottles a day, one in the morning and one before bed. Otherwise, she is drinking whole milk from a Nuby sippy cup (bought at Walmart - it is wonderful). Yippee! She has 3 meals a day which consists of the foods she eats pretty good. It can be tough sometimes trying to come up with something different to try and feed her. It has to be soft and not require too much chewing. Otherwise, she pops it right back out of her mouth. Meal time challenges my creativity sometimes. However, we've expanded the menu a bit more to include pancakes, eggs, diced carrots, and pudding. Alayna absolutely loves applesauce and yogurt. She's also taking a liking to maple & brown sugar oatmeal.
I haven't got to the store yet, but we are going to work on biting down and getting the chomping motion going. Her speech therapist suggested for me to get big carrots and cut them into large pieces that she could bite down on and hold, but not break off. I may try dipping them in a little ranch dressing just for fun. Alayna still has some mouth "unawareness." I see this the most when she still has a bite of food in her mouth and doesn't seem to swallow that last bite. It's like she doesn't feel it in there. We are working on making that connection.
Alertness of Surroundings
Alayna is definitely becoming more alert to sounds and her surroundings. She is playing with toys so much more and when she hears some other toy in a different location she stops to try and find out where it is. I love seeing this. I've also noticed that when I shout her name across the room, she will try and find me. Sometimes she does and makes eye contact. She is paying much closer attention to her siblings, books, and the television. Alayna has come a long way with these tasks over the past year. I used to wonder if she could hear or even see me. I have no doubt in my mind that she can.
2nd Birthday
Alayna will be 2 years old on January 29th! Very hard to believe, yet probably the longest, most difficult two years of our lives. When I think of everything we've been through I can only say "wow, it's only been 2 years!" They always say kids grow up fast, which I always agreed with. Up until we had Alayna. For us, raising Alayna hasn't held true to that statement one bit. I will post a special birthday section later.
Eye Exam Update
Alayna visited Dr. Drack in Iowa City and her vision is great! Yippee again! Dana was a wonderful dad and took her on his own. I'm very grateful to not have had to use a sick day to go with them. I have to save those for actual sick days! Alayna had to have her eyes dilated and to do that Dana said it took 3 or 4 of them to hold her down. She is so strong, I just wish she had the right programming to use her strength. Alayna doesn't have to return to the eye doctor for a year!
Stander Update
Alayna's Squiggle Stander has been ordered! Hooray! It should be here in our home by the end of February at the very latest. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again to all of you that supported Alayna's fundraiser. We couldn't have done this without you.







6 comments:
Alayna is making some great progress. I'm glad therapy is turning out well. Sometimes progress is slow and difficult with our little ones, but that just makes it all the sweeter when they learn to do something new. Please give Alayna a big hug from us!
Hi Angie and Dana!
Wow, Alayna looks great and way to go in therapy!! She looks great in therapy...keep up the great work!! I'm so happy to hear about all of Alayna's accomplishments so far. Sounds like she is really progressing well. You all are in our thoughts and prayers. Hang in there and may 2009 bring you much happiness!!
Love,
Meg, Bill, Alayna & Alexa
It brings a tear to my eyes, when I read of Alaynas' progress. I'm so happy for all of you. Your all in my prayers.
Love Lloyd and Theresa
Angie, Dana, Lexi, Drake & Douglas -- you all take such good care of Alayna. The progress she has made in the past month is remarkable. We are so proud of all of you!
Love,
Mom, Dad, Grandma Diana & Grandpa Denny
Happy 2nd Birthday , Alayna!!!
We are so happy to see how well Alayna is doing.
Hello, to all!
Love,
The Galloway Family :)
Love the therapy pics!! I can't get over how much her and Sammie look alike! That look on their faces when they are concentrating is the same! haha And her tiny little feet! Sammie is wearing infant size 2 shoes! We had the hardest time finding him boots!
Keep up the good work!
Post a Comment