Friday, September 7, 2007

Oh No, Not Another Visit to the Doctor!






Let me just begin by saying, "Thank the Lord, it's Friday!" It was another adventurous week in the DeKeyrel household with appointments, ball practices, tumbling, Open House at RHS, and a few other commitments. Once in awhile I catch myself repeating this question in my mind: "How much crazier can it get?" I don't answer myself because I'm scared of the real answer.

The work week started pretty well on Tuesday morning. It was rough after enjoying that 3 day weekend! Can you all relate? Anyway, on Wednesday I had to be responsible for getting all 4 kids to school and the babysitter. Not a problem, right? Dana's job requires him to be there early on the 2nd working day of each month for a closing meeting. All was going great until we were all loaded in the van and I turned the key and nothing happened. Dead battery?! Now how does that happen? Let me give you a hint. When kids are able to get out of car seats and wander the car, make sure that all interior lights are off and doors are closed. We quick did a change of vehicles (thank God we have 3 cars now) and we were off. Let's just say the week drug on after that!

Alayna hasn't been herself this week. She came down with a cough on Monday. I had her sleep upright in her bouncy seat from Tuesday-Thursday. I admit I was dragging my feet a bit about taking her to the doctor. I kept putting Vicks Baby Rub on her and watching her hoping it would clear up. You know how it is. If it's viral, they can't do anything anyway. Well, by Thursday evening her cough worsened and got really deep. When Alayna would cough it looked like it was killing her and she struggled just getting the cough out. I worry about her because kids with deletion syndromes are known to have lower immune systems. And with the RSV and croup seasons here I decided to take her in this morning and take no chances.

I'm glad I listened to my "motherly" gut. She has a right ear infection and was wheezing in her lungs. We are now the proud owners of a brand new nebulizer! She is on an antibiotic for 10 days and will take Albuterol breathing treatments every 4 hours until she is better. Alayna has done pretty well with the breathing treatments and I've noticed a huge difference just after 2 of them! She has been smiling and more lively. She doesn't like the mask touching her face, but unfortunately she isn't able to reach up to me and push it out of the way. She fights it a little by turning her head, but she knows mom is quicker!

She was weighed today and is 17 lbs 1 oz. I'm not too worried...yet...but she has only gained 1 oz in 3 weeks. That is unusual for her. I know that all babies tend to taper off in weight gain as they get older. I hope she continues to grow and gain. Some kids with 1p36 have been known to gain well in the first year and then struggle a bit after that. I keep pushing the liquids and baby food. She still prefers veggies over fruits which surprises me. Most kids like fruits best. But nothing is typical with Alayna!

Her renal ultrasound went fine on Tuesday morning. Dana said she did well and was very cooperative. Dr. Neptune said today that he would let me know when he heard the results. He did say that it can sometimes take awhile. I'll be calling if I don't hear within a week or so and I'll keep you posted.

Here are a few pictures of her using her new nebulizer! She was thrilled as you can see. I hope she gets to feeling better soon. We have been missing out on therapy sessions at home because she is not up to it. Get ready for lots of tummy time Alayna! That head needs to get stronger!









5 comments:

Anonymous said...

She is so darn cute-I just want to kiss her little cheeks. Hope next week starts off better than this one did. I am glad to hear Alayna is feeling better. Talk to you soon.
Shanna

Anonymous said...

Don't feel too bad about the nebulizer, as you know Will has had one from about Alayna's age...and still occasionally needs to have treatments when he's sick and wheezy. She's a trooper and I hope she's feeling better really soon. We all can't wait to have her stay the night again at the end of the month!

Anonymous said...

Hi Angie!

I hope Alayna is feeling better. Our Alayna and Alexa have a nebulizer too and it helps them when they get Croup and that bad wheezing cough. Sounds like you and your clan are soooo busy. I admire your strength so much. You are doing such a wonderful job. You should feel so proud of yourself. :) If you ever, ever need anything, please don't hesitate to call me and ask for help. Now that I am home, I have more than enough time to help with anything you or Dana need.

Take care and all our best!

Meg, Bill, Alayna & Alexa

Anonymous said...

I forgot to tell you how adorable Alayna is. I love her curly hair and smile!! I think she looks like you Angie :)

Meg

Anonymous said...

Angie, you are an awesome Mom! Just as the poem says, God chose a special Mom who deserves the best, and the best He gave you with precious Alayna...and...Alexis, Drake and Douglass. God sees your strength and your faith and He is blessing you all. Wow, I remember holding you Angie when you were Alayna's age! You have a beautiful family and God has a unique and wonderful plan for all of you, trust Him.
Love you,
Janet Greenleaf Smith