Thursday, August 9, 2007

The Pacifier & My 1st Overnight Stay!


Audrey & Will were waiting at the window for Alayna!


Oh mom, not more practice rolling!

I like the pacifier!


I like the pacifier, swing and my blankie!

Alayna got to go stay with her cousins, Audrey and Will, and her Auntie (Annette) & Uncle Mike on Saturday, August 4th. We had a wedding in Chicago and split the kids up. You have to do that with 4! Grandma Diana took Drake and Grandma Billie took Lexi and Douglas. Alayna did very well on her first overnight stay. She slept good and I think they enjoyed having her! It was weird waking up in our house having no kids home. It was quiet, which we enjoyed, but it was different because it wasn't normal. We rounded them all up and were back to reality too soon!

Alayna is liking her pacifier more and I'm glad about that. I think it would be great if she'd take it because it would help strengthen her sucking and just get her used to something else in her mouth besides the bottle. This week we went to PT and her therapist thinks that her head strength is getting better. We continue to practice rolling over, sitting up, and supporting weight on our legs. Alayna's physical therapist plans to do more with her legs during the next session. Right now she seems to be a tippie-toe girl and only like to touch her toes to the ground. We need to keep working on getting her to put her entire foot down. That's tough with only one person because I usually am holding her up and I need someone to put her feet down! We are still working on the reaching for toys thing. She just hasn't made that connection yet that those are her little arms attached to her body! It's hard for her to make them go where they need to go. She can get that left fist in her mouth pretty good though and that's all that matters right now!

Alayna is still in her crib in our room. She will officially make the transition to her bedroom with big sis Lexi very soon. It's going to be hard for me to move her, but it's best. She is a good sleeper, but occasionally takes both of her legs and slams them as hard as she can against the mattress. She repeatedly does this over and over and her eyes are usually shut. I think it must be a soothing technique! But I hear everything and it wakes me up. I bet Lexi will sleep through it!

Tomorrow we leave for a DeKeyrel vacation to St.Louis. I'll post some magical moments from the trip the next time. The kids are really excited and we are too. I haven't been to Six Flags since I was in grade school!

Remember, we go to Peoria on Tuesday, August 14th for Alayna's vision and ABR hearing tests. I'm not too worried about her vision test. I think she sees pretty well. I am a bit nervous about the ABR. I know that many 1p36 kids do have some moderate to severe hearing loss in their ears. However, after talking to many Yahoo parents, some of these kids outgrow their hearing loss and it improves over time. They attribute it to neuromaturation. The brain just starts to make sense of sounds and the connections become clearer. If that makes any sense...? If we do find out that Alayna has any type of hearing loss, I want to make sure she gets "aided." Hearing aids are a good thing. I know there are concerns with them as far as kids leaving them in, getting them adjusted correctly, and kids chewing on them but we'll deal with that! Say a little prayer for Alayna and we'll let you know how it goes.
















4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Adorable! Thanks so much for all the pictures of Alayna! Have a great time in St. Louis! Hope to see you all sometime very soon.

Love,
Lora

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures and the captions you put with them. Grandpa and I had a great time with Drake last weekend. We went to the Scamper Inn for breakfast and then headed to putt-putt golf in Moline. Drake had a "hole in one" on the 18th hole and it was witnessed by many -- he beat Grandma and it was his first time at putt-putt golf. Grandpa kept score and was giving Drake tips on where to hit the ball -- I should have listened to Grandpa, too. Drake wanted to go to Applebee's for dinner as he loves their chicken strips -- so, of couse, we spoiled him a little more and took him to Applebee's. I hope he had as much fun as we did!

Anonymous said...

We had so much fun and loved having Alayna overnight! She's a great little girl! Audrey and Will were big helpers: Audrey enjoyed mixing all of her bottles and Will enjoyed playing with her and talking to her. We love her so much and are pleased to see her making such great progress.

Anonymous said...

You are so blessed to have a wonderful family support system! You and Dana need time to be a couple, too, so I'm glad you got a chance to be without kids though I know quiet can be "weird." Have a great family vacation!