Getting ready to go get a group photo at Walmart. Let's just say that this was the best picture that day!
Alayna with her sister, Alexis, brothers, Drake & Douglas, and her cousins Audrey & Will.
Thanksgiving day!
Trick-or-Treating at Mimi's place. Let's just say that Alayna isn't too into this yet.
Alayna got hot in her costume and quit early. She had more fun sitting in this big chair, playing with her book.
Lounging!
What? Are you calling my name?
In her Halloween P.J.'s.
Crazy hair morning! Her hair is still very curly and crazy. Thank goodness for ponytails.
She loves chewing on her books.
So cute.
Alayna still enjoys sitting in her bumbo seat. But, you must watch her because she likes to push herself backwards.Preschool Update
We've begun the process of meeting with our school district and lining up preschool for Alayna. We had a meeting with 6 S.K.I.P. (Special Kids in Preschool) representatives, which included Alayna's classroom teacher, principal, OT, PT, and ST. I felt so good about this meeting and how much they really seemed to care about Alayna and her needs. And how excited they were to have her come to S.K.I.P. After this meeting, I knew that this was the right place for Alayna. Our local school district is wonderful, but it's a small, rural district with very little to offer Alayna. We are so thankful that we have another option for Alayna that is close to home. A preschool for special needs children....awesome.
On Monday, November 30th we go to S.K.I.P. for Alayna's evaluation by all of the therapists and teachers. Then on December 9th, we will meet one final time to write her IEP. This process should all be completed by Christmas break. So, when Alayna turns 3 on January 29th, she can begin school the next week. This is very exciting for us, but at the same time it's hard to believe that she will be 3 years old and it's time to "let go" a little bit. I am thrilled to know that she will be getting daily therapy at school and to have these professionals help build on Alayna's skills. I will keep you posted on how things develop.
Doctor Appointments
We recently traveled to Iowa City to follow up with Alayna's "ear" doctor. Her tubes looked great and she seems to be doing fine. He did clean them out a bit. Overall it was an easy appointment other than holding her down and keeping her head still while he did the cleaning. That's never fun!
We need to visit her developmental doctor in Peoria sometime soon. It's been about 1 year and we are due. So, that will be on the calendar in the future.
A few weeks ago Alayna weighed in at 24 pounds with her lightweight clothes on. So, she's probably a bit over 20 pounds. She is eating good, but it becoming a bit more picky on what she really wants. Stinker!
She, as well as her siblings, have all received the seasonal flu shot and the H1N1 vaccination. None of them had any side effects and I feel much better with them being protected.
Holiday Times
The holidays throw in a twist to her "normal" routine and take her outside of her comfort zone. Alayna enjoys being at home for the most part. She definitely didn't enjoy the Halloween, trick-or-treating this year, so maybe next year. Yesterday for Thanksgiving, she did pretty good adjusting to the two places we went, but only napped briefly. Fussiness set in a bit earlier than usual, but she slept good last night. It's just something we have to learn to deal with and work with her on making the best of things!
Professional Photo
We tried to take all of the kids to Walmart for a photo, but Alayna was not cooperative at all. I am wondering if she was under the weather. But at least we tried! I've come to the conclusion that the best way I'll probably get a photo is to have someone come to our house. That way the kids are more in their environment. The photographer felt so bad that she gave me a card to come back and try again and get two free enhanced photo pages. I just might take advantage of that!
Busy, Busy
I apologize again for not keeping up with the blog. The only excuse I have is that we are busy, busy, busy. School this year has been an extra challenge for me with two new classes to prepare for and the kids activities are endless. Thanks for being patient and for continually checking back to see if I've updated it. I will try to be better. Have a happy holidays!



6 comments:
I love the new pictures of the family. We are going to try tomorrow for our Christmas cards. That should be fun. We have all received our flu shots and H1N1 also and I feel much more relaxed too. Alyana looks like she is doing great. She is sitting so well. I was hoping Kylee would be sitting that good by her 3rd Birthday but I think she will need just a little more time but she is pretty close. Good luck with the school process. Sounds like you are having a good one. We do Kylee's IEP on Tuesday and she is starting the next week as she is not receiving PT at the moment.
Hugs from the McGlin's.
Glad to see your latest post! I check back often. I know you must be extremely busy with everything you have going on. I'm happy for you that the preschool process is going smoothly and that you're excited about where Alayna will go. That is a true positive in itself!!! Oh, and I totally hear you with the picture sessions. We just got the kids pictures taken together and those went well (despite the treadmill burn Laikyn had on her neck; compliments of Nathan watching her in the basement for 5 minutes the night before the picture session!!!) The next week I took Laikyn for her 2 1/2 year pics, and she was simply TERRIBLE! What an attitude my child has!!!!!! Yikes! The boys were never like this!!!! What to do? What to do?!?!
Hi Angie,
Just the other day I was at Terri's house and I told her to look up Alayna's blog address for me because I had lost it. She found it on facebook, so I've been catching up on all the posts I've missed since our computer crashed. I just love reading your posts. They continue to be a means of inspiration for me! I'm so glad to get caught up on Alayna's progess and am glad to hear she is doing so well. I can't believe she'll be 3 soon and off to SKIP. I'm sure they will work wonders with Alayna. Only 3 weeks until our next break--Have a great holiday season!
Chrystal Weller
Greetings DeKeyrel Family!
Alayna and all the kids look great Angie! So happy! Loved the pictures. Alayna looks like she is doing great. Keep up the great work! Glad to hear about her beginning to start SKIP soon. I bet she will love it! Hope the rest of the holiday season goes smoothly for you all. Merry XMAS and Happy New Year!
Love,
The Sutton Family
I love the new pictures! Hope I get a copy of the group pictures.
Love,
Grandma Diana
I really enjoyed reading your blog. I also have a daughter, Alayna whom is 6, with 1p36 deletion. It's not been an easy road, but it's been an educational, emotional, blessed road. I really connected and understand alot of how you feel. Some of your blog was almost like you were writting my thoughts. I wish the best for you and your family for years to come over this inspirational journey.
Post a Comment