Sunday, August 23, 2009

Cheetos Puffs & The Pool!

Swimming with Lexi! This was her first time in a pool.
Alayna enjoyed it for awhile, but it really seemed to wear her out fast. It helped so much that she would keep her sunglasses on! And the toy to distract her and keep her focused helped too.

Patti and Lexi helping Alayna in her new float. It was nice, but she is now strong enough that she needed to sit deeper in the pool. I have a different float that I used with the other kids that we need to give a try!
Alexis, Douglas and Alayna! They enjoyed that the water was about 90 degrees!

Alayna's sitting independently has significantly improved! I will now put her down on the floor with toys and walk away! If she falls, she is pretty good about trying to slow her fall. And she sometimes likes to fall down and she giggles! I'm guessing, but I think she can sit anywhere between 5-10 minutes before crashing.

Her balance is improving and her butt isn't as "round!" She is becoming more aware of her arms and actually using them to keep her up. If she'd just keep one of them out of her mouth she'd have 2 free arms and not just one! This would help.

Whatcha' doing mom?

Alayna laughing! Sometimes she laughs and giggles at the craziest things. It's so innocent and I love it. She makes us all laugh too. Alayna can leave us all guessing at what was so funny!!

Yeah, Alayna has conquered the Cheetos Puff!!! I was getting very frustrated as to why she wouldn't eat anything "dry" like a cracker, fruit puff, or Cheetos. I tried giving her a bite one day and she shut her mouth tight. I finally decided that this obviously wasn't working, so I put 2 Cheetos in front of her on her tray. I figured that when she was ready she'd grab them. I didn't expect it would have been that same day, but she did! And here she is checking it out and eating it. I was in HEAVEN!

Alayna gets very messy between the cheese and the milk everywhere, but I don't care. She is still working on eating the entire cheeto. Right now she seems to eat the part that only sticks out of her hand and then drops the other part on the floor. So, getting that other part up into her hand higher is something we'll work on.

She does pretty good passing it from one hand to the other until it gets too small and it is hard for her to hold on to and bite off.

Yummy! I can't get the Cheetos bag out until after she has eaten her meal. She recognizes it now and she would obviously prefer to eat them over any vegetable!

A HUGE challenge we are having right now is keeping the bib on. Alayna has found the bib and loves to play with it and rip it off. These velcro in the back and I need to find one's that either snap or are like a towel that go over her head. That way they won't come off!
At PT, Alayna has been doing great. She is bearing more weight and standing at this table and playing. We are excited about seeing this. Last summer we just wanted Alayna to hold her head up!
Alayna has on knee immobilizers that don't allow her to bend her knee. It also helps the person working with her free up their hands!
She continues to love toys that make sounds and have lights! I noticed many of us parents at the 1p36 Conference had alot of the same toys. It's a common fascination of all of our kids!
Big girl! When Alayna stands up she looks so tall. We'll keep working and she'll get there! Coming up October 12th, we have her IFSP meeting to begin talks about pre-school placement. That isn't far away!


Alayna is doing good. I hope you enjoyed the photos and updates of what has been happening. We are now all back to school and Alayna starts her "babysitter" routine tomorrow. She will be going to Grandpa Denny on Monday, to Grandma Billie on Tuesday, and to Patti on Wednesday-Friday. Her PT and OT/ST at the CTC will continue as well as her developmental therapy in the home. Alayna is making gains and we love to see her progress. I am dreading the upcoming "flu season" and will work very diligently to keep the home clean and everyone's hands washed. Tis the season to be exposed to more germs. I say my prayers that Alayna and everyone else will stay healthy! I will update again sometime soon!

12 comments:

Melanie said...

That is so funny! We can't get the chip bags out either until she has eaten all of her food too! The only problem now is she knows how to ask for chips, so now she gets mad at us when we say she needs to eat her meal first!

About the bib. You know the picture you took at the restaurant of Whitney? She is wearing her bib! I love it! It buttons up in the back and you can machine wash it! It's just from Wal-Mart!

Miss you guys! Say hello from all of us!

Melanie Hanson

Angie said...

Really? She was wearing a bib? I didn't even notice! I have to check it out. Thanks for the tip. :)

Anonymous said...

Great pictures! I love the progress Alayna has made and seeing her bear weight on her legs. I went to put her on the floor Friday night and she basically stood up before sitting down. Of course, I was holding on to her but she was bearing weight without being prompted. YIPPEE!!!

Love, Grandma Diana

Karen said...

I love all the pictures and seeing how much progress she is making it. I am talking to our PT guy today about the knee immobilizers. I get such great tips from everyone on the blogs about different things to try with Kylee. Just had to ask a question. That toy with the big sunshine where Alayna is standing up do you know who makes it or what it is called? I think Kylee would love it.

Angie said...

Hi Karen. That is the farm toy by Vtech. I just saw it at our walmart last night, so it's still out there. She loves turning the one page that it has! Let me know if you can't find it. The knee immobilizers are great and I think they are only about $40/pair. It really helps free up hands.

Karen said...

Thanks for the information Angie. I found the toy. Also I talked with our PT yesterday about the immobilizers and he thought it was worth a try. They probably love me (not really) because I am always throwing ideas out there from things that I see on other peoples websites. Anything to help her out.

Alysa said...

Alayna looks so great in all of these pictures! I would love to get Vera to self feed a little bit. She flat out refuses. We just got her to hold her own sippy cup a few weeks ago. Maybe I should try Cheetos Puffs!

Jenny said...

WoW, I can't believe looking at these pictures and reading this is like a walk down memory lane. It seems like it was yesterday when we were going through all of that with Taylor. It will come, the different foods and textures. I thought that it would never happen, that we would be stuck in baby stage forever but we are finally in the adventurous toddler preschool stage. lol Hang in there you are doing awesome. If your interested here is Taylor's blog link. Take care. Jenny
http://taylorsadventureswith1p36.blogspot.com/

Julie and Jason said...

All of Alayna's accomplishments are so exciting! She seems to be sitting more than even 1 month ago! That is awesome! It looks like she loved the water! Hope school is going well. It was great seeing you all!

Julie

MichelleH said...

Hi Angie!

I hadn't stopped by to check in for a while and was amazed by theses photos! Alayna's skills have improved by leaps and bounds this summer....no doubt to her wonderful mommy and incredible family! Keep up the good work and keep Alayna's smiles coming!

Love you!
Michelle

Shay said...

She is just a sweet little doll! Love the pictures! Sammie love those cheese puffs to! I've never bought them but he had them at a party and loved them! I should get some! Good to hold on to! She looks like she is doing so well!! Keep up the good work!

Wet Noodle said...

Angie, This is jenny Lexi's Mom. thanks for checking us out. I love following Alayna's blog she is absolutley adorable. I too just caught up on the emails. I live in Mendon Utah. Alayna looks like she is doing really well I'm so happy for you. It so good to finally meet other families. thank for saying hi!