It's been a tradition since Alexis was born that we get a family photo at Christmas time. At least then I know it happens once a year! From the left is Douglas with his cheesy smile full of his favorite bubble gum and his "cooler than ice" t-shirt, Drake who loves football (Dallas Cowboys like his dad) and football cards and is sporting his Iowa Hawkeye jersey, Alayna who can't get enough of her hands because of cutting her 2 year molars, me and Dana, and Alexis, the best big sis ever who is growing up fast, becoming very interested in fashion, and outgrowing "toys." :(
Finally, all of them in a good mood at the same time and their willingness to cooperate for a group photo. Even Alayna had a smile on her face.
Alayna and her new Raggedy Ann doll made by her Great Aunt "Bella". Thank you Bella!
Alayna is playing and "talking" back to her Auntie (Annette).
Alayna smiling at her Auntie who keeps tickling her feet!
Alayna takes a nap before we head to Grandma & Grandpa's house for presents and dinner.
The kids got a special visit from Santa and Alayna wasn't in any mood to sit on his lap. She was too tired by this time and when that happens she just shuts down.
This is the DeKeyrel side of our family - Dana, his parents, sister and brother, and all the kids.
The 8 DeKeyrel cousins! Alayna is in the bean bag, Drake is to her left and Lexi and Douglas are on the couch.
This is a photo of more cousins on Angie's side of the family.Well, Christmas is over and it was a busy one at that! The few weekends prior were committed to family get-togethers that were bigger than the usual holiday celebrations we do with immediate family. It doesn't happen every year that we get the entire family together on both sides, but this year it happened. It makes our grandma's very happy! And then of course, we celebrated with the DeKeyrel side on Christmas Eve and my side on Christmas day. Both were very nice and we value the time we can spend with our family talking, playing games, eating, and laughing.
I have a few Alayna updates. Teething has been a real issue for us this past week. I truly feel sorry for her because it is obvious that they hurt. Hands in the mouth, crying, waking up early, chewing on her bottle nipples, and messy diapers are a few drawbacks to say the least! We try to comfort her as much as we can along with giving her tylenol and orajel for pain. I can't wait until they are all in because I think she'll be a much happier Alayna.
We continue working on sitting. It just isn't clicking yet. She does good for awhile and then she falls over. It is frustrating because I want her to be able to do this so badly. I get sad that it is taking so long. It is disheartening and I only wish as a mother that I could do more. My new year's wish is to have a year of accomplishments by Alayna. 2008 was good to us by keeping her healthy, now I wish for her to be able to move around in other ways besides rolling. I want her to sit and stand on her feet more than any of you can imagine. I want her to be able to eat other foods and drink from a sippy cup.
This is a link to a short video clip on youtube. It was posted on our 1p36 support group message board and I thought I'd share it with all of you. It is about chromosome disorders and it kind of sheds a little light on to how many different ones there are.
Alayna continues to be as sweet as ever, but I'm going to be honest when I say that I'm tired. I'm so tired sometimes that I wonder how I get to the next day. As a mother, I admit that I like the feeling of being needed by my children, but in moderation. Alayna requires a different level of need that sometimes squeezes every ounce of steam and sanity out of me. It's hard to relate to unless you maybe try to envision taking care of a 4 month old baby for two years straight. And the 4 month old baby doesn't get older, they stay 4 months old for 2 years straight. TOUGH AND EXHAUSTING. It is hard to imagine that Alayna is going to be 2 years old in a month. In a way, time has flown by, but in a way it hasn't. I'm still taking care of a baby and do the baby things like make bottles, bath her in a baby bath tub, feed her, diaper her, and carry her.
I am praying harder than ever before that God will give Alayna the strength to sit and do these other things soon. I know that I have to put my faith in God, but sometimes I wonder if he considers my feelings about all of this. I'm the one living this every single day and I'm asking for help here!!! Do you hear me God?




8 comments:
Oh, Angie, I hope that some of your prayers are answered in 2009. I can absolutely relate to your fatigue and frustration. When I was pregnant with Nate I remember saying that if I could order a child I would order one who stayed a baby longer (the other two reached developmental milestones extremely early and I felt that I had missed out!!!). Well, I guess I should have been more specific! While I did get to experience Nate meeting some of these milestones (much earlier than he should have with having Down syndrome), we went back to the very beginning after his stroke and were more on Alayna's schedule. Having a 40 lb. "6 month old" was very draining, but I would give anything to have that fatigue back! The fatigue, anxiety, shortness with your kids, and efforts to have a "normal" life will all be worth the extensive effort you have put into your beautiful family. Keep up the good work! I hope Alayan's teeth come through soon!
Love,
Michelle
Thank you Michelle. You know that I often think about you when I type, especially when I start to get "selfish" with my wants and needs. You always know the right things to say because you've been through similar things with Nate. I hope you and your family had a good Christmas. And yes, I'm definitely looking forward to an even better 2009. I hope God answers some of my prayers too.
Angie,
After I typed that I hoped that you wouldn't take it the wrong way and thankfully you didn't. You are ABSOLUTELY entitled to the frustrations that you have and I would be worried about you if you didn't feel that way at times! I only say these things as encouragement, not to be judgmental! Thanks for your continued openness and honesty. You are an amazing teacher to those who have not walked in these shoes!
Love,
Michelle
Oh Michelle! Silly girl. I know that your words are words of encouragement and I would never take them wrong. Your words mean tons to me because you've lived it. I'm glad you're my friend.:)
Grandpa and I are looking forward to having Alayna spend the night Tuesday (12/30). Hopefully you'll get some much needed rest. If you've forgotten how to sleep through the night -- be sure to drink some of our favorite wine before bed time.
Love, Mom
Hello DeKeyrel Family,
Looks like you had a wonderful Christmas with family. So glad you did. Angie, we hope your prayers get answered in 2009 and you all have a happy, healthy New Year!! Your frustrations are normal and you all are doing such a great job with Alayna! Hang in there and keep up the great work!
Love,
Meg, Bill, Alayna & Alexa
Dear Angie,
You and your family are in my prayers. There is no way I can relate to what you are going through. I do have a great admiration for your tenacity. I wish you could step back and see how wonderful you are doing.
God Bless you all in the new year.
Love, Aunt Linda
You are in my thoughts. I can only imagine how tough this has been for your entire family. I also have a 2-year-old girl, and I can't imagine still feeling that exhausted. Take care, and here's to hoping the new year brings you and your family -- especially little Alayna -- many blessings.
Post a Comment