Alayna playing with her new singing penguin from the Galloway family who drove all the way from the suburbs of Chicago to meet her!Alayna's Benefit
Saying "thank you" just doesn't seem like enough. Alayna's Benefit last Saturday night was a complete success. I'm so thankful for all of the people that joined us for dinner and trivia, for those who donated items to the silent auction and bake sale, for those who have made monetary donations to her fund, and to the many others who worked that night to make everything run so smoothly. I've heard nothing but good compliments on how things flowed nicely, how organized the event was, and how much fun everyone had. That is due to the dedication of my family and friends who put this together. Many people donated hours of their time to make this benefit so wonderful. Our community is amazing and the support everyone has shown us is priceless. Alayna will get her stander and her Kid Kart! Thank you to everyone who has supported this cause.
Teeth
Well, Alayna wasn't pleasant over the weekend and lasted until about 7:30 pm at the benefit. On Sunday, Dana and I discovered why....she is cutting her 2 year molars on the top of her mouth. As soon as we applied some orajel, she stopped crying and went to sleep. I was glad to finally figure out what was wrong! It isn't always obvious with Alayna like it might be with typical developing children. It's like a mystery or a secret that you just have to keep digging at.
Ear Issues
Alayna has been sleeping decent for her anyway. Most of the time she is still waking up one time in the wee hours of the morning. This morning she was awake from 4-5 am, but then finally fell back asleep. However, when I took her to Patti's, Patti noticed that her left ear looked "dark" inside. When we looked closer it was obvious that it had been bleeding. I cleaned it out the best that I could, but immediately made her an appointment with her pediatrician.
Saying "thank you" just doesn't seem like enough. Alayna's Benefit last Saturday night was a complete success. I'm so thankful for all of the people that joined us for dinner and trivia, for those who donated items to the silent auction and bake sale, for those who have made monetary donations to her fund, and to the many others who worked that night to make everything run so smoothly. I've heard nothing but good compliments on how things flowed nicely, how organized the event was, and how much fun everyone had. That is due to the dedication of my family and friends who put this together. Many people donated hours of their time to make this benefit so wonderful. Our community is amazing and the support everyone has shown us is priceless. Alayna will get her stander and her Kid Kart! Thank you to everyone who has supported this cause.
Teeth
Well, Alayna wasn't pleasant over the weekend and lasted until about 7:30 pm at the benefit. On Sunday, Dana and I discovered why....she is cutting her 2 year molars on the top of her mouth. As soon as we applied some orajel, she stopped crying and went to sleep. I was glad to finally figure out what was wrong! It isn't always obvious with Alayna like it might be with typical developing children. It's like a mystery or a secret that you just have to keep digging at.
Ear Issues
Alayna has been sleeping decent for her anyway. Most of the time she is still waking up one time in the wee hours of the morning. This morning she was awake from 4-5 am, but then finally fell back asleep. However, when I took her to Patti's, Patti noticed that her left ear looked "dark" inside. When we looked closer it was obvious that it had been bleeding. I cleaned it out the best that I could, but immediately made her an appointment with her pediatrician.
I took her in after school and he told me it was one of two things. It could be that it is just scratched or it could be that the tube in her ear has moved. Unfortunately, my gut is telling me that we are wishful thinking that it is only a scratch because Alayna has tiny ears and she still isn't a child that puts her fingers in them. My guess is that it is the tube. Dr. Neptune couldn't determine which it was because of all of the blockage and his inability to see the tube. So, we are to flush it with drops 3 times a day and return in a week. I plan on taking her the Friday after Thanksgiving to get it checked. I'll keep you posted! I hate to think about making another trip to Iowa City to put her under for the procedure of putting another tube back in, but we may have to. The good thing is that maybe they could perform the sedated ABR test at the same time that was planned for January. If it comes down to needing a tube, we will have to get her in ASAP to Iowa City and in the meantime make sure she doesn't get an ear infection.
Early Intervention - IFSP Plan
Last Thursday, we had Alayna's IFSP 6 month review. During these meetings, Dana and I express our concerns and we set goals for Alayna for the next 6 months. Her therapists make recommendations and they are taken into account as well. I am very proud to say that Alayna accomplished at least 3 of the goals we previously wrote. It is rewarding as a parent to say that Alayna can now sit with support, play with her toys, pass a toy from one hand to the other, put a toy to her mouth, eat more than just stage 2 baby foods, and I'm sure there are more that I'm missing! But you get the point. Any progress or milestone met is huge gains for Alayna and we are proud of her. She takes itsy-bitsy baby steps, but she'll get there.
Early Intervention - IFSP Plan
Last Thursday, we had Alayna's IFSP 6 month review. During these meetings, Dana and I express our concerns and we set goals for Alayna for the next 6 months. Her therapists make recommendations and they are taken into account as well. I am very proud to say that Alayna accomplished at least 3 of the goals we previously wrote. It is rewarding as a parent to say that Alayna can now sit with support, play with her toys, pass a toy from one hand to the other, put a toy to her mouth, eat more than just stage 2 baby foods, and I'm sure there are more that I'm missing! But you get the point. Any progress or milestone met is huge gains for Alayna and we are proud of her. She takes itsy-bitsy baby steps, but she'll get there.
Again, thank you very much for supporting Alayna, me, and my entire family. You don't know how much that means to us and how much it helps us. Here is a video montage of some of the photos I took at the benefit. I apologize for not taking more, but it was difficult doing that and trying to get around to as many tables to talk to people. I know I missed so many of you and I'm sorry! By looking at the photos you can see there were soooo many people there. Thank you to our family friend, Denise, for taking more photos that night. I can't wait to see them.




7 comments:
I am so glad the benefit was a success. It makes me so happy when a community rallies around our kids. Way to go Alayna on reaching 3 of your goals!!! That is so awesome!!! We are so proud of you. I did post in the group about our experiecs with ear bleeds. I hope it helps. Have a great night.
Angie,
It looks like the benefit was wonderful. I saw a lot of familiar faces in your montage and am so bummed that I was out of town. We really do live in an awesome community!
As for Miss Alayna - keep up the good work! Those milestones are huge accomplishments and help keep you all going. I hope the ear tube issue resolves and you don't have to go back in for another procedure.
I'm also glad that you figured out her teething issue.....sometimes it is easy to overlook the "normal" things and immediately look for something "bigger". Keep the good news coming!
Love,
Michelle
P.S. Diana....I haven't forgotten about your calendar!
Hooray - this is such wonderful news! It's so inspiring to read about the benefit and to hear how supportive your community has been. I'm so happy Alayna will have her cart & stander. Congrats!
Alayna is just TOO cute! That is an awesome picture -- I'd like a copy. Grandma Diana loves getting face hugs from Alayna.
What a WONDERFUL evening we had! Getting to see your family, meeting Alayna, great food, playing Trivia, AND shopping at the silent auction!!! (not to mention my little one doing some "silent shopping" himself!)
Anyway, we are soooo happy that the benefit turned out so well, and that Alayna will have the proper equipment she needs for development!!!
Jennie is also happy she has a new BFFL.....Lexi:)
Love & Prayers,
The Galloway Family!
We couldn't have asked for a better turn out at the benefit. I am so glad it was so successful and ran smoothly. Everyone's hard work paid off - and we couldn't be happier that Alayna is going to be able to get the equipment she needs. Hugs and kisses to you, Alayna! And, great job on reaching those goals! Love you!
I am so happy you had such a great turn out and are able to purchase some equipment that will be well used. Kylee has only had her stander for a short time and she is making some progress. You will have to let me know how you like them.
How good you must of felt knowing that Alayna met some of your goals. That is always so exciting. We have Kylee's on Monday.
Way to go Alayna...keep up the good work.
Post a Comment