Alayna trying so hard to sit. She is now 19 months old.
Alayna continues to love toys that play music or light up. This bus was one of the boys baby toys and it has been a life-saver. She loves it.
Alayna smiling in the stroller at Adventureland.
This is another toy that Alayna loves. We have 2 of them - one for the diaper bag and one for home. I used one of Alexis's hair ties to strap it to the stroller so she could hit it herself and we wouldn't drop it.
Alayna is becoming better with the self-feeder. She still drops it, but holds on to it longer than before. Here she is having some green grapes.
It was funny to see her face when she bit down on the grapes and they "popped." She likes to hold things and as you can see is still making the connection that it is actually her holding it. It's like she enjoys checking herself out and is starting to realize those are her hands and they have a greater purpose other than being sucked on!
Finally a smile....because we haven't had too many of them around here lately. I'll explain later!
I had to sneak a picture of Douglas in here. This is one of the many frogs he has found over the past week. He tried to bring it in the house, but fortunately I went to the garage at the right time and stopped him. I told him I'd go get the camera instead and take his picture with Mr. Frog. As you can see, he is so proud! We have so many tree frogs around here and my boys are ALL BOY and will pick up just about anything. Douglas did sneak a little tree frog in the other night while I was on the phone and it wet itself all over him. it wasn't too funny at the time, but now I laugh!My dear friends, it's time for another heart to heart. Remember, you are my scapegoats and I'm sure I'll feel better after I'm done typing what I need to say. Like I said in my early days of blogging, this is my therapy and you read at your own risk.
I'm going to start first with the "down's" my family has been dealing with lately. It's always better to end with the "up's." Raising Alayna has been by far the biggest challenge I've ever faced. I do consider myself a mentally strong person, however, having Alayna has put me to the test and I often doubt how mentally stable I really am. Lately, Alayna has been going through periods of constant crying and/or hand and arm biting. These instances just pop up without any warning. A little one's crying for such long periods of time each and every day can wear on anyone. I don't care how strong you are, it is tough to listen too. And to some of you, that might sound minor or silly, but I'm not kidding when I say it is driving my entire family crazy. It's not fair to my other three kids that I have to devote so much attention to Alayna. It's not fair that they have to put up with the crabbiest, short fused mom in Illinois City. Alayna's behavior is so unpredictable. It makes it tough to go anywhere because we never know how she will behave. So, our house is pretty darn loud and chaotic until they are all in bed. It's a challenge helping the older two with homework, keeping Douglas busy doing something, all at the same time dealing with an extremely fussy, high-maintanence Alayna. Sometimes I just join in with her crying.
So, you are probably asking yourself "is she is teething or does she have something wrong with her?" The answer to that is "no" and "no." I have tried to document when these "outbursts" occur and see if there is a common trigger and I haven't found anything. We've been to the pediatrician for a complete check-up and all looked good. We tried putting her on an oral antibiotic for a possible ear infection, but that has not been the solution. She went back to Iowa City this past week and they also say her ears look good. We have also increased her food intake to make sure it wasn't hunger and that isn't the answer either. I think it's just Alayna.
After reading posts on our 1p36 Support Group site regarding this topic, I just think it is something many of the 1p36 kids go through. They sometimes cry a lot and the reason is unknown to the parents. Being unable to communicate may contribute to part of it and also being somewhat immobile. I am glad to know that we are not the only 1p family going through this. I am praying it is a phase and that "it too shall pass." I'm truly at a loss and it is very frustrating. I want a smily, giggly, happy baby and lately that has been a rare thing at any time of the day. Today, on the way over to Lexi's softball game, Alayna was crying pretty hard for the duration of the ride. Douglas was in the van with me and I could tell he was getting frustrated too. He said "Mom, we need a new baby." I said, "Why do you say that Douglas?" And he responded, "Not this one. This one cries all of the time." It is just as hard for our other 3 children to deal with this as it is for Dana and I. My heart gets sad. Sometimes, my world feels like a very lonely world. No one quite knows what we are going through.
Alayna has cried so much lately that her "voice" is horse and her arms are bruised from biting at them. Thankfully, she hasn't bit them hard enough to draw blood, but her bruises are pretty noticeable. And that is so hard to explain to people who have no idea what 1p36 Deletion Syndrome is. All we can do is reinforce not to do that and pull them our of her mouth. Let me tell you though that it is tough sometimes because she is strong and she gets really frustrated and nothing stops her.
Another issue that I've been dealing with is the feeling and knowing that we are a "different" family. I'm not sure if that is the right word, but you get my drift. I'm well aware that I'm still dealing with this process of acceptance. I thought I had that taken care of, but obviously not completely. I've noticed the last few times that I've been around people from our community or other families, I tend to withdraw. And especially around those families that have children close to Alayna's age. I'm just not my chatty, out-going, talk to everyone self. I say quick hellos and keep conversations short. After coming home from "Bookbag Night" at the kids elementary school I told Dana about this realization and how I don't mean to do it, but I think it's just my defense against becoming upset, crying, or facing the fact that Alayna is not developmentally appropriate for her age. He validated this feeling by telling me that he too has had difficult times. One occuring while at a close friends house watching their little girl a month older than Alayna run around and carry on. It is so hard and I'm not sure it will ever be easy. It's something we will probably deal with the rest of our lives. So, I would like everyone to know that if Dana or I seem distant sometimes, it is probably those defense mechanisms kicking in to help us cope. We do not do it intentionally, but please understand it is part of raising a child with special needs and the process of completely coming to terms with that.
On the "up" side, however, are the cute smiles and short, little giggles from Alayna. We love singing Itsy-Bitsy Spider to her because of her instant recognition to the song and the grin that comes along with it. Even during her fussiest, temper-tantrum moods, this song has been known to be the only cure that will snap her out of it. When she makes eye contact with her sister and brothers, Douglas especially because he is always in her face, and lights up with a grin, it melts my heart. When Alayna does something to surprise us and her siblings are the first to see it and they scream "Mom, look!" it is a very exciting moment. They too long for those little accomplishments that require so much hard work from Alayna. Watching her hold her sippy cup or self-feeder and see her excited that she is doing it herself is cool. We can't wait until she is totally cup feed and no more bottles. One of my favorite times is when Alayna is comfortable enough to be held over my shoulder and as I gently rub her back she just cuddles up and every one of her muscles relaxes.
There are many rewards that come along with raising a special child, but lately it has been tough. I am always the one saying take one day at a time. But in reality, that is a lot to ask of me sometimes! I am human and normal, daily activities are enough to trigger a thought into our families future. I can hear a wedding song on the radio and it's enough to send tears pouring down my face. I can see an advertisement for a college and that will also make me cry. I watch my daughter, Alexis, pitch her first ASA softball game and while I am so darn proud of her I can't help but cry and think of my little Alayna. Don't get me wrong, I am proud of Alayna, but in a different way. And it's this "difference" that I have to get past, again, not really knowing if that will ever be possible.
The emotional side of raising a child with any kind of disability is indescribable in words unless you are the one in that situation. No amount of money or services would ever be enough to ease that part of it. It can be a lonely place sometimes and societies ignorance sure doesn't help the matter. I've said it before that God has the ultimate plan. I wonder what that is every single day and I ask him every single day. And I sometimes ask him if he was sure he picked the right family for Alayna, especially during my crazy moments. And, yes, I still cry. As a matter of fact, as I type this, tears roll freely without effort down my face. I'm not sure whether I cry more for me or more for Alayna. I say my prayers every night asking for guidance, strength, and patience to get through the next 24 hours. I pray that things will eventually get easier and we will begin to be able to enjoy Alayna more and that her "moods" will pass. It truly is an effort for my entire family to just make it through each day. I pray to God that someday each one of the older kids will look back on this time and realize that all of the sacrifices made were to benefit the entire family and I hope they will understand the "hidden" stress their parents were going through. I pray to God to help me be a good mom because I doubt my effectiveness more than ever before. And I pray for all disabled children and their families, especially those on my 1p36 Yahoo support group, because without them I would be lost. They are my "people" who help me keep going. And lastly, I ask for forgiveness, because I'm the first to admit I'm far, far away from perfect.
I am sorry it took so long for a new post. And I just realized this is a long one. I hope to get things going again and I'll try not to keep you waiting and checking so long this next time.



13 comments:
Oh, Angie, I can definitely relate to all of these ups and downs. Keep sharing and letting it all out - the good and the bad. It's important to get it out.
I can't tell you how many times I thought I would lose my mind from Brady's screaming. He has screamed so hard in the past that he burst blood vessels all over his cheeks. Luckily, we had a lot of help from family members at the time and Brady did eventually grow out of this stage. Some things I found that worked (sometimes)...
-sitting in the bathroom with the shower on
-carrying him up and down stairs,
-rocking him
-keeping the house dark & quiet (he still goes through the roof when he hears things like pots & pans in the kitchen)
-deep pressure, squeezing his arms, legs, etc. one of our therapists calmed him down the other day putting pressure on spots on the back of his neck?
We also went to a cranial sacral therapist which is a very new-agey thing but it worked wonders.
I hope Alayna can work through things in her own time. In the mean time hang in there. We will keep your family in our thoughts and prayers!
I'm at a loss of words to say to you, as I don't even know if there are any words..I pray for each of you every night that God will grant you the comfort, courage, strength, and peace in your hearts. You know that we love you very much and are here for you. We love to see those pictures of Alayna, as it brings a smile to all of our faces. We are on this roller coaster journey with you and will continue to educate those that we meet about Alayna's condition. Hang in there and give Alayna kisses for us tonight!
Angie,
Tears were rolling down my face when I read your post. You are right, no amount of services or money can help take away the heartache, loneliness, and worry. I really admire your courage in posting all of your feelings (ups or downs). I tend to isolate myself during the toughest times and only post the ups. I think it is amazing you are so strong that you can share all of your feelings.
I am thinking of you and your family right now. I wish I could just come over for a coffee and give you a break. We could swap kids for an afternoon (although that wouldnt be much of a break!) Hang in there and keep on posting. It is great for people to see what it is really like raising Alayna. Although no matter how much you explain, no one truly understands what it is like to be her parent except you and Dana. That can be a very isolating feeling.
Take care,
Genevieve- mom to Zoe
Oh, Sweetheart - My heart goes out to you. I can't begin to know what you are going through, but if there is anything I can do, you know you can call on me.
Love,
Aunt Linda "Bella"
I too have tears rolling down my face. I feel as if you are expressing my feelings for me. I sing you are my sunshine every night to my little girl as I rock her to sleep and I cry wondering if she knows how much I love her and how I would do anything for her.Thank you for being so brave and posting your true feelings. Once again you have made me feel not so alone and that what I am feeling is "normal".
My little girl Kylee also went thru a crying stage however hers were related to seizures and I didn't even know she was having them. The signs were so small that all I noticed was the non-stop crying. I took her to the ER many times because I couldn't take the crying and just knew something had to be wrong with her. Finally I video taped her one day and then took it in to her doctor and said this is her having her crying spells and the Dr said she is having seizures and got us connected with a specialist. So I know all about those crying spells. They are hard on everyone...stay strong...I'm thinking of you often.
Angie -- I too at times doubt my effectiveness as a mother with a disabled child. I too think of the future and find my self envious of others with typically developing children. I too experience emotional highs and lows -- from day to day, moment to moment. I spend plenty of time on the "pity pot", as I call it. Sometimes I just hold Jade as tightly as I can and cry, cry, cry -- for her and me. Although our situations are different, we are both moms of disabled daughters, and I hope that both of us will try our bests to find and remember the "ups" of this challenge in our lives. You are doing an outstanding job!!! I am so proud of you and your children will appreciate all you are doing for them! You are certainly in my thoughts!
Chrystal Weller
Oh Angie, I wish I had some magical words that would help you at this time. After Nate's stroke, we went through a long period of having a completely miserable little boy who cried and groaned nearly non-stop while he was awake (and he didn't sleep much during that time). I remember asking myself every day how I could possibly continue to do this and how I could possibly be a good mother to any of our kids. I was both mentally and physically exhausted and wanted more than anything to console my sweet boy and felt so very helpless. The "ups" seemed to be so few and far between but somehow each "up" fueled us just enough to make it through to the next one.
These feelings are perfectly normal and I would probably question your sanity if you weren't feeling this way! Unfortunately this is part of Miss Alayna's journey and I pray that this "detour" is a brief one.
Thank you for your honesty - you are the voice for many others who walk in your shoes.
Love,
Michelle
Angie- I too had tears streaming down my face as I read your post. I have been going through an extremely hard time recently - feeling all of the feelings you posted. I know your feelings of isolation around people from your old "hangouts". We have been feeling very alone recently too. The doctors are baffled by Lily and I feel like I am making the calls in her care.
Please please call me if you ever want to talk. I would love to hear your voice and talk about all of our kids and Lily and Alayna. We will miss you so much at the conference. We will be coming to St. Louis in October. How close are you to SL?
We have also done cranial sacral therapy with Lily. It is very non-evasive and calming for Lily. Take care and God Bless you, your family and Miss Alayna. Julie
Hi Angie,
Melanie and I read this last night and we were so sorry to hear about Alayna's crying fits and the toll it's taking on you all. Looks like a lot of the other parents have already posted a lot of the things that work best, but please remember you're not alone.
We've also felt the withdrawal you describe as we tend to our special needs families, but that doesn't mean you don't have all kinds of friends who are going through a lot of the same trials. I just wish we were closer together!
You'll be in our prayers. Please say hello to Dana and the kids. Whitney sends hugs and kisses too.
Hi Angie and Dana and the whole family,
My heart aches and goes out for you all. Please know what you are feeling is normal. Also know that how you act in different social situations is also normal. I, too, am a changed person and not the same person I used to be. Tragedies or difficult family situations change you. People who don't understand that, need help themselves. I get so frustrated with people and the public at times with how they deal with special people or people with disabilities. I remember yelling at people when I was a kid if they pointed or stared at my Mom when we were out with her in her wheelchair. Hopefully, society will grow to be more accepting as time goes on. Please know it is okay to cry!!! You have a right to cry! I would cry too. Your 'ups' are so great and wonderful, but your 'downs' must be so difficult. We continue to pray for little Alayna and your whole entire family. You all are on this journey together and doing such a wonderful job! You are a wonderful Mommy!! Please know we are here to help if you ever need anything!
Love,
Meg, Bill, Alayna & Alexa
To each and every one of you,
From the bottom of my heart I thank you for reading my message, for providing me words of hope, and for uplifting my spirit. Thank you for taking time out of your busy, hectic schedules and checking this blog. I truly mean that. You take time out of your day for Alayna and me and each time I read a comment it's like you gave me a big hug.
To all of my 1p36 friends, we are in this together. You REALLY know how I feel. And Karen, I don't think you are a member of our yahoo support group and I invite you to be! Please email me privately at angela.dekeyrel@yahoo.com and I'll give you the site. It is a site for 1p36 families and has the most wonderful people.
Again, I thank all of you for your reassurance that it will be okay. Some readers don't publish posts on the site, instead they email me and I thank you all too! They are my more silent supporters and they mean just as much. Michelle and Chrystal, you both always know how to say things to make me feel better. I know I don't see either of you often at all, but I feel like I know you like a close friend. And I feel blessed to have the two of you. I learn from both of you and your experiences with Nate and Jade. Michelle, Nate is still here in spirit and his life continues to tell a story and help others.
And Megan, I think you comment on every one of my posts. You don't miss one. And for a person who has lost both of her parents, I gather strength from you. I admire your perseverance to keep going. You are a great person who is very knowledgeable and well aware of special needs.
My family continues to be my rock. Thank you.
Angie, I finally got a chance to sneak a peek at Alayna's blog. I am so glad you have such a wonderful outlet to release your feelings. Please know that even at your weakest point, you are still stronger that most women I know. Tears are not a sign of weakness but a stress relief. I wish I could say or do something to help you cope but I know you need those times to truly appreciate the "up" times you have with Alayna. She has made remarkable progress and you & your family are the reasons for that. I truly understand your feelings and for what it is worth, there are many days I feel helpless to the things that are happening in my own life. I could go on for hours but I just wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you and praying for your family.
Angie,
I read your latest entry, and had no idea what you were going through. It has got to be such a tough thing, I'm sure I would react the same way, and I'm sure the other mother's that are 1p36 parenting, share the same emotions. You are not going Crazy, stop that!!! It is TOUGH, you are TOUGH, God will at some point, step in and help you cope, you may not even notice when it happens. I'm going to say a special prayer for YOU.
Love you Ang,
Your Friend,
Michele
Post a Comment