Photo of the Kid KartDevelopmental Pediatrician Visit
Last Monday, Dana and I took Alayna to Peoria to visit Dr. Morgan, Alayna's very important developmental pediatrician. The last time we had seen him was in January this year. His role is to access where Alayna is developmentally and guide us to the appropriate interventions and make sure we are doing all we can to get Alayna to her fullest potential. These kind of appointments tend to bring out an entirely different realm of emotions for both Dana and myself. It's unlike going to get her ears cleaned out or to the pediatrician for shots. It is a major reality check and Dr. Morgan says things like they really are. Let's me just say that he doesn't hold back much. It is hard for our ears to hear sometimes and it takes us out of our "safe bubble." But the great thing is that Alayna continues to make strides and improvements all over the board. And Dr. Morgan stressed that each of these milestones will be huge celebrations in our home and he is so right.
Dr. Morgan thought that Alayna's therapy agenda looked pretty good, but reiterated the fact that what we continue to do at home with her is what makes all the difference. He did have two main recommendations for us to consider. They were to get a stander and to think of a means of mobility for Alayna. A stander's purpose would be to help Alayna learn how to bear weight in her legs and just get the feeling of what it is supposed to be like standing up. Doesn't that sound odd? When I really think about what that means I say "Wow" every time. It is a task my other children just did and I never thought about how much "hard-wiring" it takes for our brain to help our muscles do this. I hear very positive feedback from my support group on how they provide so many benefits. A stander will also give Alayna a different perspective of the world around her. Right now she sees a lot of things sideways because she still lays down and rolls on the ground a majority of the time. That has got to be getting old! Kim, Alayna's PT at the CTC, had previously made this recommendation, so it is reassuring to know that she and Dr. Morgan are thinking the same thing.
The second recommendation for us to consider was getting a means of mobility for Alayna. Honestly, this one took us both by surprise and we were a bit hesitant at first. We use a typical stroller most of the time and it works, so why do we need something different? Alayna is only 20 pounds and fits in all standard strollers. It did get me thinking though because I can't say with confidence that Alayna loves her stroller. Well, there are some benefits to purchasing a Kid Kart that we hadn't really thought about like allowing Alayna to sit up higher and be at the level she'd normally see, be pulled up to a table, and be forced to sit up more properly. Many of our support group parents have also said nothing but wonderful things about the Kid Kart and they say it provides "therapy" every time you put the child in it. And even though it is at least 2 years down the road, it could be a means of mobility if Alayna had to ride the school bus or if she had to use it in the classroom. Honestly, Dana and I have high expectations for Alayna and we hope she is walking by that time!
In conclusion, Alayna has therapy at the CTC this Tuesday and a representative from Trinity will be coming to do some measurements on Alayna and we plan on getting both the stander and the Kid Kart. We are excited about the benefits both can provide her. It was recommended to us to purchase both at the same time so that is what we are going to do. And from what I have read, the Kid Kart can be ordered in pink....so I'm happy!
Hip X-ray
While we were in Peoria, Dr. Morgan wanted to get an x-ray of Alayna's hips just to make sure the development was okay. Especially since she isn't putting much weight on her legs. Unfortunately, the x-ray machine that is next door to the Easter Seal's Building where Dr. Morgan is located was down and not working. So, we had to resort going to the hospital (which every time I walk the main corridor it brings back memories from that first night we rushed Alayna down there not knowing what was wrong with her). And of course, we were put in a waiting room and waited and waited and waited. Dana finally found the nurse that escorted us there and come to find out they forgot about us. Go figure! It is so much our luck! So, a 3 minute x-ray took over an hour and a half. CRAZY! Let's just say it was a long day.
Next Follow-Up
We are not scheduled to go visit Dr. Morgan again until 9 months, which will be right at the end of the school year. I hope by that time she literally knocks the socks off of him and his jaw drops to the floor with all that she is doing! That would be awesome.
Sitting and Hand-Biting
I wish all of you could see Alayna sit! She is doing so wonderful I can't express it in words. She is now sitting for minutes at a time, not seconds. She is reaching for toys that are put in front of her and grabbing at them and not falling over. I've seen her put her hands down to the sides to try and stop her from falling. Her tummy muscles are getting much stronger as I can see her pull herself up to remain sitting. Lexi, Drake, and Douglas are loving it because it gives them a whole new perspective of play with Alayna. Douglas is the one who can't stop smiling and giggling at Alayna as she is sitting. You can tell how proud they are of Alayna. I am working on video taping her sit and if I can get my buddy, James, to help me figure out how to download it, I'll get it on ASAP.
Hand-biting has ceased. It is great news. Now, don't get me wrong, Alayna still loves her hands in her mouth, but she is just sucking on her fingers. Her hands are totally healed and she doesn't have the marks and sores like she did a few weeks ago. I hope she continues the progress! We continue to reinforce not to bite at her hands and she is responding.
Camera/Computer Problems
I've got a few new photos of Alayna I'd like to share with all of you, however, I am having technical difficulties that I've never had before. It has something to do with the USB Port and my camera not recognizing each other. I've tried everything I can think of to fix it, but no luck. That means I can't upload my photos to my blog and that makes me angry! I hate when technology doesn't work. I'll keep trying.
I will keep you posted on more Alayna developments and let you know how Tuesday's appointment goes for the equipment.



4 comments:
De-lurking to say that this is soo amazing! I have been praying for miss Alayna :) she is sooo sweet!
I had the same problem with my camera...I then learned that the cameras must be turned on while I have it hooked up to the computer which is really weird...have you tried that?
Hey Angie and Family,
Sounds like you had an informative visit by the DMD. The stander and kid kart will be great for little Alayna! I bet she will love them! Yea on Alayna sitting up so good by herself now. That's great news! Each milestone is a great accomplishment and you all should be so proud. Keep up the great work!
Love,
Meg, Bill, Alayna & Alexa
I am so proud of Alayna and can't wait to see her again! I'm sure she'll love the kids cart and the stander, too. Keep up the good work, Alayna!
Hooray for Alayna! Sitting independently will open up a whole new world to her as will the stander and Kid Kart. I'm so excited for you to get these! When is your appointment at CTC?
Post a Comment