Alayna is all smiles lately! Okay, maybe at times she isn't. This little outfit was from the Whisman family.
Sticking my tongue out! And yes, we are an Iowa Hawkeye family if you were wondering.
Just a swinging! She loves this swing. I don't want her to grow out of it.
She is cutting more teeth and always has a hand or fingers in her mouth.
This little outfit is from Grandma Diana and Lexi gave her the shoes for Christmas. They finally fit (size 2)
Most of the time Douglas can get Alayna to smile. She loves watching him. I think it's because he is still little and just silly. He says he wants her as a tractor partner and someday he's going to be big enough to give her a ride on the tractor. I believe him!
Eating an orange for the first time. Made her pucker a little!
She sucked that orange down to nothing. She loved it.
Lexi helps feed her a strawberry for the first time. She liked it too! I was just worried about being allergic, but she was fine.
She liked the strawberry, it was just more messy.
I have to post of picture of Lexi in her uniform. I'm so proud of her. Yesterday, Rocket Fire played a team that gave them a challenge. They were down by 1 run and it was the last "at-bat." Lexi was up and her team had 2 outs. She got two strikes. Uh, oh! But, she hit a double and knocked two of her teammates in from 2nd and 3rd and won the game. Way to go Lexi and way to go Rocket Fire!Since Alayna has been off of phenobarbital, she has been showing her "true colors." She is much more emotional and expressive about her feelings. Which is a wonderful thing. When she's happy you know it and her smile still melts my heart. However, when she isn't happy you'll definitely know it too. Lately, it has been challenging to get her settled during some of her moments of anger, tiredness, or maybe teething pain. Sometimes there is absolutely nothing we can do to make her happy and it is nearly impossible to figure out what it bothering her. The best intervention is still the swing. It's tough though when we aren't home. So, I have been known to resort to a sucker. I'm going to buy a bag of dum-dums at Walmart the next visit. It's all about whatever works! The other night on the way home from Lexi's tumbling Alayna was crying and had been nearly the entire time. I caught myself with my hands over my ears a few times and I'm not joking. It was so cute because Douglas turned to her and said in the calmest voice, "Alayna, use your words!" He wanted her to stop crying so badly and just tell us what was wrong. Someday she will.
I'm still learning what the best accommodations are for her at the ball diamonds. She hasn't been liking the stroller lately and would rather just lay on a blanket on the grass. Yesterday, I used a huge golf umbrella to provide shade and she went to sleep. I actually got to watch most of one entire game with only a few interruptions from the boys! I think next I'm going to take the Pack-n-Play so she can lay out flat and put a blanket over the top. We'll see how that goes. It's tough sometimes, knowing that with a typical developing child I could just take her for a short walk, bribe her with some cheerios or fruit puffs and give her a sippy cup as forms of distraction. I would have more options to keep her busy. I just want to be able to watch my oldest daughter play her softball games. I'm human, I'm allowed to feel this way, and yes, I think it is normal to have these little selfish thoughts sneak up on me.
Alayna is moving around the floor more and also in her crib. She somehow rolls and scootches all different ways. She has also been sleeping more on her stomach/side instead of flat on her back. Alayna continues to grab at toys and shows more interest in them everyday. Her hands and arms are becoming more cooperative together. Dana was playing with her the other day and he tickled his nose to hers. She reached up and grabbed his face with both hands. Of course, Daddy melted and she once again captured his heart. It's these little things that mean so much to us. They are things we never would have thought about with our other 3 children because they just happened.
This Wednesday, Alayna has her year evaluation through Early Intervention. Her PT, developmental therapist, and speech therapist will all be doing an assessment and writing reports. We have a meeting scheduled for late afternoon and her therapists, Early Intervention coordinator, and Dana and I will be present. It's like an IEP meeting if you are familiar with that term. We'll review what goals Alayna has met and set new ones. Alayna continues to go to Comprehensive Rehab two time a week, but that isn't connected to Early Intervention. That is just additional therapy that we decided she needed on our own. I'm going to request for more therapy through EI and hopefully they'll approve it. I'd like to have Alayna going to the Children's Therapy Center at least once a week. I believe she needs it and again, I'm one of those people who thinks that there isn't such a thing as "too much therapy."
Alayna has really been enjoying fruit in her mesh feeder. We try to use it about 3-4 times a week. She has had peaches, bananas, oranges, strawberries, and mixed fruit in it and eats each one. Now, when I say "eat" I mean she does tons of sucking on it. Some of the fruit comes out through the holes, but most of it stays inside the bag to prevent choking. And she continues to eat about 1/3-1/2 a jar of stage 2 baby foods in the evening. There are nights though that we skip this all together because of either the mood she is in, timing, or that she hasn't drank her formula completely. It doesn't take much to fill her up. We've switched formulas to the Members Mark brand sold at Sam's stores. It is much cheaper and so far she is doing fine on it.
Sometimes things happen in our lives that makes us challenge our faith and create doubt. Trust me, with Alayna, this has happened. However, God tells us that he is here for us and will never fail us. I'm a believer and I continually pray to God to give me strength to get through each day. One day at a time. He sets mountains before us to climb. I am climbing this mountain and there's no stopping me. And so is Alayna. We will have our rough spots and our set backs, but someday we are going to reach the top together and shout from the peak. You'll see!



6 comments:
Angie,
As always, thank you for sharing your joys and frustrations. It's great to hear that Alayna is "waking up" off of the phenobarb, and remember that expressing emotions is a good thing - maybe not pleasant - but good. Hopefully her frustrations will lead to more milestones.
Enjoying that climb and we look forward to following you on your journey to the top!
Michelle
Angie- I love reading about all of Alayna's successes! Teething has been a big cranky time for Lily too - we have relied heavily on Tylenol! We can't wait to hear how Alayna's yearly review with her therapists goes. I agree - there is no such thing as too much therapy!! You and your family will receive many graces from God throughout your climb with
Alayna. He will not fail you - He will always carry you when you stumble.
Take care and God Bless.
The Friedmans
Alayna's smile is so contagious! She is making great strides and we are so proud of her. She is a very lucky little girl to be in such a loving home. You guys are doing a terrific job seeking all avenues of help/assistance for Alayna. All while raising three other very active children. God bless you all!
Love, Grandma Diana
Grandma Billis said. . .
If you ever need a smile or a hug, all you need to do is visit our sweet Alayna. She has a way of warming all hearts around her.
We love you sweet child, as well as brothers: the curious, exploring Drake, the explicit, charismatic Douglas, and your beautiful, intense, sister Lexi.
Mom and Dad are doing a great job with their many resonsibiltiies. I'm sure Mom has the days counted until "School's Out!"
Love to you all . . .
Angie,
Love the updates and thanks for sharing all your feelings and frustrations. You are only HUMAN!! Remember that!! Love the Hawkeye photo..Go Hawks!!! Always excited to see another little Hawk fan supporting my alma mater! Lexi looks great...so serious. You all are doing such a great job. Keep up the great work!
The Sutton gang
Hi Angie,
I didn't realize that Alayna was on seizure meds - it's nice to hear that things are going well without them and that her little personality is emerging more every day. I can definitely relate to the issue of fussiness. For lack of a better phrase, Brady used to have fairly frequent "freak outs." I remember trying to take him to Troy's baseball games when he was coaching the high school team and would always have to leave after ten minutes. We never did figure out what set him off and there was very little we could to to calm him. But, I can assure you that he has slowly outgrown these "freak outs." I suppose it could have been related to the teething now that I think about it! I hope the fussy episodes become fewer and further between as they eventually did for us.
I hope everything goes well with your IEP. I agree that there is no such thing as too much therapy!
Post a Comment