Alayna has a smile that I just can't take enough pictures of!
For one reason, to get her to smile takes some work right now. Her teeth are causing quite a bit of discomfort.
Here is her serious look. She was enjoying the helmet off while she got a change of clothes. Just a little helmet hair to contend with....we are getting used to that!
See my teeth! I now have 4 teeth on the bottom and I'm working on another 4 on top!
Alayna loves to be kissed on the neck. She usually smiles every time.
Alayna has eyes that remind me a lot of Douglas. They are big and round.
New stickers! Now I am showing off kitties and doggies and my mom put my name on the back.
We love you Alayna!!!Alayna is still teething and they are giving her quite a battle. Her top teeth are vicious and she whines quite a bit about them. We use Baby Orajel frequently and she responds to it pretty well, but they feel painful when I rub it on. I have to be careful where I put my finger too, she bites! I found out the hard way when she wouldn't let go. OUCH. I wish she could hold a teething toy herself, but she can't. She uses her fingers and hands instead and I'm not sure that is such a good thing for her. We try and hold a cold teething ring for her when we can. So, that battle continues on. Hopefully all of the top teeth will pop through soon.
Because of her teeth (I think anyway) she hasn't taken the pacifier for about 3 weeks now. This may be a good thing because sometimes these kids hang on to if for too long and it is difficult to take away. I'm just waiting to see if it is really the teeth and if she will even want it after they come in. She continues to be a very easy-going little girl who just closes her eyes when she is tired. She obviously doesn't rely on the pacifier to go to sleep, so it hasn't been an issue at all. Alayna loves her blankets though and prefers to have one when she naps or sleeps. She likes to hug it and sometimes puts it over or on her face. All of my other kids still sleep with their "blankies" and I'm glad they all had something to attach to and provide them a sense of security.
Alayna visited her pediatrician, Dr. Neptune, last Friday. She is about 29 inches long and that puts her on the "normal" growth chart at the 50th percentile. However, she is only weighing in at 17 lbs 13 oz which puts her at the 3rd percentile. None of us are too alarmed by this, even though I was a bit shocked to not see 20 lbs on the scale. I really thought she'd be close to 20 lbs. Anyway, parents of 1p36 children have said over and over that kids tend to stay at the same weight or gain slowly at times. Alayna is eating and that is what is important. She will grow at her own rate and it isn't necessarily fair to chart her on the "typical" growth chart. Alayna has been sick a few times over the past month with respiratory issues and an ear infection and of course, cutting those teeth. Her eating has not been as consistent as it usually is. She has lost a bit of weight and those things may be the contributing factors in addition to her increased therapy and workouts with Patti and her growing about 3 inches in 3 months! Overall, she is healthy and doing well. She got two shots and took them like the trooper she is! Drake was along for the visit and he couldn't believe how well she did. He even said that he'd probably cry more. Alayna fussed a little, but I told Drake that shots are nothing compared to some of the other things she's been through....piece of cake!
Yesterday, I tried to take her to JCPenney's to get her picture taken. I've yet to take her 1-year photos and we missed Christmas because of her being sick. Well, let's just say I'll try again in a few weeks when the other kids get their birthday pictures taken. She was fussy and not feeling well because of the teeth. They did get some cute shots of her on her back and I'll try and share them when they come in. Photos are difficult because she can't sit up on her own and the studios don't have many options for kids who can't sit up. And she isn't good on her tummy quite yet (getting better though). We tried a chair and she arched her back and slid down on her slick dress. We tried sitting her on a boppy pillow and propping her up and that didn't work either. Next time I think I'll take a bean bag and see if they could use that. I need to be more creative to make this easier on Alayna, the photographers, and of course myself!
Alayna continues to progress. That is the most wonderful blessing of all. Unfortunately, there are some kids out there whose progress is little to none at all. My heart goes out to them. We are so hopeful for Alayna's future! Alayna enjoys going to Patti's house and recognizes her instantly and smiles back. And Patti's little dogs continue to protect Alayna and provide therapy of their own kind (running around, barking, etc). I will try and get a picture of Patti with Alayna and maybe even Baxter and Scooby too (those are the dogs)!
Alayna is still doing well wearing her helmet. We change stickers about every couple of weeks which is a lot of work. Getting those little boogers off isn't easy even if you use GooBGone. I enjoy keeping it cute though. It has become part of the family! It requires attention just like everyone else. It needs constant cleaning and adjusting and goes with us everywhere we go. We get some looks when we are out in public, but nothing that has sent me into tears. Most people still look interested and simply give a little smile. Helmets are supposedly a common thing, but you just don't see many of them around. Alayna is so cute, she pulls off the look quite well. It is definitely working and changing her head shape. I might have said this before, but the most notable difference is on the sides of her head. The back of her head takes the longest. I have a feeling she may be wearing this a bit longer than what I hoped. That's okay!



2 comments:
I sure enjoyed getting a chance to see you all at South Park on Saturday. I enjoyed going to the Teddy making place with Lexi and Drake. I enjoyed playing trains with Douglas. I enjoyed holding Alayna and getting a smile from her.
Love you all, Bella
Love those big eyes and smile! Can't get enough of Alayna -- she is so sweet.
Post a Comment